What makes you feel old? (Fatty masters only)

Old November 28th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

Default What makes you feel old? (Fatty masters only)

On Nov 28, 6:11 am, wrote:

What a sissy. Imagine the lines I'm getting at 63 when I do a long
ride and don't have any after effects while the young guys are crying
about their legs hurting?

Wow, you must be a stud. I'm impressed.
Old November 28th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

After which he said
something like "You climb really well for an older guy."

Old guys are allowed to say that to another old guy.

When a young guy says it ... then you tell him he's a pussy for
getting beat by an old guy.

I felt old last week when I ran in a 4 mile Turkey Day race and got
passed in the last 300m by a 10 year old girl. I knew there was a
reason I race on wheels instead of on foot.

Old November 28th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Nov 28, 10:06 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

Actually, it was about 4 years ago that I seemingly-suddenly lost max power
when climbing. Weird thing, that. I used to live for the steepest parts of
the climb, because that's where I caught up to others. Ironically, my
sprinting has greatly improved at the same time, and you'd think they'd be
related somewhat.

Another trade... what was I going to say... oh yeah: Same thing as
when you need to get up for the Old Person Pee every night, but on the
other hand, you don't need as much sleep as you used to.

Also useful: How bad can you really need something out of the
refrigerator if you can't remember what it was you wanted once you get
there?

I'm sure there will be other stops on the way to Wherever. --D-y
Old November 28th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Nov 28, 12:52 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
So this morning we're returning from our training ride (I guess it's a
training ride, although I haven't actually raced for a while) (but the other
guys do, so does that count?) and after successfully contesting the final
sprint one of the guys is expressing surprise at my strength, to which I
explain that those who can no longer climb, sprint. After which he said
something like "You climb really well for an older guy."

makes me feel old when a rape victim gets 200 lashes. back in my day
they only got 10.
Old November 28th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Nov 28, 6:52 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
So this morning we're returning from our training ride (I guess it's a
training ride, although I haven't actually raced for a while) (but the other
guys do, so does that count?) and after successfully contesting the final
sprint one of the guys is expressing surprise at my strength, to which I
explain that those who can no longer climb, sprint. After which he said
something like "You climb really well for an older guy."

Ouch.

I'm 51, he's 42, not *that* much younger!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

That's easy, training like I used to and getting injured just as I'm
about to get fit again. Has been going on for about 4 years now.

-ilan
Old November 29th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On Nov 28, 6:38 pm, wrote:

That's easy, training like I used to and getting injured just as I'm
about to get fit again. Has been going on for about 4 years now.

-ilan

You've got my deepest sympathy. That really sucks, especially when you
are really starting to feel good, things are really coming together,
and boom, you're screwed again.
Unfortunately in my case my body got really old really early. There's
always next year, and once the senility sets in the day is full of
surprises to keep it interesting. ;-)
Bill C

Old November 29th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
et...

What a sissy. Imagine the lines I'm getting at 63 when I do a long
ride and don't have any after effects while the young guys are crying
about their legs hurting?

If there's anything I've noticed as I've gotten older, it's that I have a
lot more endurance than before, or perhaps it's just more patience that
lets me know that, if I'm not feeling great at the beginning of a ride,
there's no reason to let that bug me and wreck the day, because in all
likelihood I'll start feeling better as the ride goes on.

I think that we have the patience to know that going fast at the start isn't
a good recipe for feeling better at the end of the ride. Or for that matter
the second 80 miles of a century.

Old November 29th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jim Flom

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
et...
So this morning we're returning from our training ride (I guess it's a
training ride, although I haven't actually raced for a while) (but the
other guys do, so does that count?) and after successfully contesting the
final sprint one of the guys is expressing surprise at my strength, to
which I explain that those who can no longer climb, sprint. After which he
said something like "You climb really well for an older guy."

Ouch.

I'm 51, he's 42, not *that* much younger!

People always think I'm younger than my 50 because of my girlish figure.
But a couple of days ago Corinne at the Fitness Centre wanted to list me in
the Leisure Guide as a satisfied customer, complete with photo and satisfied
customer quote. She took, and I looked at the photos (flickr, misc. Jim
photos, red hoodie, below). I thought, "Geez, I am older and uglier than I
thought I was!"

That makes me feel old. Cycling, I still feel strong and mighty. In my
mind.

--
JF
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14134175@N06/

Old November 29th 07, 08:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Jim Flom wrote:
and I looked at the photos (flickr, misc. Jim photos,
red hoodie, below). I thought, "Geez, I am older and
uglier than I thought I was!"

I think we all have an internal view of ourself as being
a certain age regardless of how old we actually are.

And there is a difference between biological age and
chronological age.

Fatty Masters Results Phil Holman Racing 4 May 3rd 07 04:00 PM
Masters fatty = geezerjock? Mike Bruno Racing 1 July 17th 06 08:22 PM
One for the fatty masters. Michael Press Racing 0 May 19th 06 12:17 AM
Fatty Masters Bob Schwartz Racing 22 February 11th 06 04:56 AM
At least two of rbr not fatty masters yet Ewoud Dronkert Racing 3 September 21st 05 01:31 AM