road bike / race bike / hybrid / touring / fitness bike - CHOSEN AND BOUGHT

Old September 20th 06, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Maurice Wibblington

Default road bike / race bike / hybrid / touring / fitness bike - CHOSEN AND BOUGHT

Chums

Thanks for all the advice on the recent thread of almost the same
name. Being Mr Impatient I popped into town and had a chat with the
owner at Colchester Cycle Store, who gave good advice, even as it
became clear that my needs were pointing to a lower priced solutionl,
as a racer with flat handlebars was just what I wanted.

I got a Claud Butler Shogun Spirit :
http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/ROAD/spirit.html

Shimano 2200 series 16 speed gears with STI control levers.

Sugino double 42/52T with alloy crank.

Rigida Nova 700C narrow section rims
with 32 hole quick release hubs and 700C x 25
road tyres.

Took a detour home and was instantly impressed - although bear in mind
my only experience was a sub£100 MTB.

Sweet as a nut, gear changing a quantum leap over what I had before,
and, most importantly, spent most of the time on the lower of the two
gears, and got my legs going round a lot faster, and to much greater
effect than before. wheeeeeeeeeeee.

And all for only 250squids, so She Who Must Be Obeyed is quite pleased
as I had been priming her for 400squids. :-)

Old September 20th 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

Maurice Wibblington wrote:
And all for only 250squids, so She Who Must Be Obeyed is quite pleased
as I had been priming her for 400squids. :-)

You fool - That 150 quid would pay for a nice set of lights for the
winter, some proper cycle kit and decent luggage to carry what ever you
need. Now you'll have to suffer in silence as your other half waltzes
areound in whatever she can spend 150 quid on[1].

(big smiley - glad you got the right bike for you and it is fun.)

...d

[1] No sexist intent - I'm sure the esteemed ladies of this parish
would find sensible practical bicycle oriented uses for 150 quid in no
time at all..

Old September 20th 06, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
Maurice Wibblington pimple@arse/met wrote:
snip
Rigida Nova 700C narrow section rims
with 32 hole quick release hubs and 700C x 25
road tyres.

Get a track pump, if you haven't already got one, to keep the tyres nice
and hard.
Old September 21st 06, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
squeaker

David Martin wrote:
Maurice Wibblington wrote:
And all for only 250squids, so She Who Must Be Obeyed is quite pleased
as I had been priming her for 400squids. :-)

You fool - That 150 quid would pay for a nice set of lights for the
winter, some proper cycle kit and decent luggage to carry what ever you
need. Now you'll have to suffer in silence as your other half waltzes
areound in whatever she can spend 150 quid on[1].

(big smiley - glad you got the right bike for you and it is fun.)

..d

Too right - argue to split the difference

Old September 21st 06, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Rob Morley wrote:
In article
Maurice Wibblington pimple@arse/met wrote:
snip

Rigida Nova 700C narrow section rims
with 32 hole quick release hubs and 700C x 25
road tyres.

Get a track pump, if you haven't already got one, to keep the tyres nice
and hard.

Or a Zefal XP pump; expensive for "a pump"
but cheaper than a track pump.

BugBear
Old September 21st 06, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
bugbear wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:
In article
Maurice Wibblington pimple@arse/met wrote:
snip

Rigida Nova 700C narrow section rims
with 32 hole quick release hubs and 700C x 25
road tyres.

Get a track pump, if you haven't already got one, to keep the tyres nice
and hard.

Or a Zefal XP pump; expensive for "a pump"
but cheaper than a track pump.

Did you mean Zefal HPX? They're about £20 - you can get a track pump
with a gauge for less than that.
Old September 21st 06, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Rob Morley wrote:

Get a track pump, if you haven't already got one, to keep the tyres nice
and hard.

Or a Zefal XP pump; expensive for "a pump"
but cheaper than a track pump.

Did you mean Zefal HPX? They're about £20 - you can get a track pump
with a gauge for less than that.

Perhaps I like toys. My frame pumps are Zefals.

My track pump is a Silca.

And it wasn't 20 quid. Sadly.

BugBear
Old September 21st 06, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
bugbear wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

Get a track pump, if you haven't already got one, to keep the tyres nice
and hard.

Or a Zefal XP pump; expensive for "a pump"
but cheaper than a track pump.

Did you mean Zefal HPX? They're about £20 - you can get a track pump
with a gauge for less than that.

Perhaps I like toys. My frame pumps are Zefals.

Do they have gauges?

My track pump is a Silca.

And it wasn't 20 quid. Sadly.

Neither was mine - it was free :-)

Given the choice, all other factors being equal, which would you use to
inflate a tyre?
Old September 21st 06, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AndyMorris

Rob Morley wrote:
In article
bugbear wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

Perhaps I like toys. My frame pumps are Zefals.

Do they have gauges?

My track pump is a Silca.

And it wasn't 20 quid. Sadly.

Neither was mine - it was free :-)

Given the choice, all other factors being equal, which would you use
to inflate a tyre?

The track pump obviously.

Which would you choose to carry for 100 miles and then use?

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Old September 22nd 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Maurice Wibblington

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:58:58 +0100, bugbear
wrote:

Get a track pump, if you haven't already got one, to keep the tyres nice
and hard.

Or a Zefal XP pump; expensive for "a pump"
but cheaper than a track pump.

Could you explain, for a newbie, what the differences are, how they
differ from a bogstandard pump, and the pros and cons of each...