Help Needed: Off centered HUB

Old December 21st 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rui

Default Help Needed: Off centered HUB

Done! Let's see if it stays fix.

Thank you guys for your help!

Hop on and away!

PS: How do I change the topic title to: "SOLVED" or something?

Here are some photos of the doing.

*The material I use to remove ISIS cranks.*
[image: http://estamine.net/unicycle/nimbus29_14.jpg]

*I always waste a 0,02 euro coin in the doing. Because my crank remover
is too thin and goes all the way inside the hub center hole.*
[image: http://estamine.net/unicycle/nimbus29_15.jpg]

*I used a Shimano remover thingy to hammer down the ball bearings.*
[image: http://estamine.net/unicycle/nimbus29_16.jpg]

*I hammered them both using a plastic hammer and an old sock
*boing*boing**
[image: http://estamine.net/unicycle/nimbus29_08.jpg]

*Here they are, all the way in.*
[image: http://estamine.net/unicycle/nimbus29_10.jpg]
[image: http://estamine.net/unicycle/nimbus29_11.jpg]

*And here is the wheel all nice and centered.*
[image: http://estamine.net/unicycle/nimbus29_12.jpg]

--
rui
Old December 21st 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
timekeeper

Nice work! My bearings popped out like that because I didn't have
spacers in between the bearings and cranks.

--
timekeeper
Old December 21st 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rui

timekeeper;1154438 wrote:
Nice work! My bearings popped out like that because I didn't have
spacers in between the bearings and cranks.

What are spacers, and where can I get them?

Now that I think of it. Wasting money might be a crime

There goes inflation! :x

--
rui
Old December 21st 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

If you pound on a bearing again, be sure to use piece of pipe or
something (I've used a deep socket) that has an opening larger than the
axle, but almost as small so the pounding force is to the bearing's
inner sleeve. From the picture it looks like that Shimano tool pounded
the soft sidewall of the bearing, could damage the bearing.

I expect things are fine, since the bearing was loose enought to slip
over, glad you fixed things. Good luck with that ride.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken

I've been flying.......
Old December 21st 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rui

Chrashing;1154467 wrote:
From the picture it looks like that Shimano tool pounded the soft
sidewall of the bearing, could damage the bearing.

Yes, the picture may elude, but I checked before pounding and it was
pushing the inner part of the bearing.

That is very important, thank you.

--
rui
Old December 21st 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

rui;1154490 wrote:
Yes, the picture may elude, but I checked before pounding and it was
pushing the inner part of the bearing.

That is very important, thank you.

Glad to hear you thought of it.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken

I've been flying.......
Old December 21st 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

rui;1154442 wrote:
What are spacers, and where can I get them?

Now that I think of it. Wasting money might be a crime

There goes inflation! :x

a spacer is a sleeve that fits on the axle between the crank and the
bearing to keep the bearing in place. You can usually make them by
cutting down the end of a seatpost. Not sure how well it would work as
ISIS cranks are tapered and therefore will move on the axle more as they
wear.

--
kington99

Dave

Old December 21st 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicycle-Emele

Is there any problem with the bearing slipping or the wheel being off
center. My trials is like that but I never thought it was a big enough
deal to fix it. Should I try and fix it or will it be ok if I just leave
it alone.

--
Unicycle-Emele

Any unicyclist in Westchester County, NY 'pm '
(http://tinyurl.com/6xu626)me.
'My video' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=cvBUcQ9QL_8)
'Other Vid' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9_j_UFiv3sY)
'newest vid' (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ReFi44k2lgY)

maestro8 wrote:
I'd rather watch you gas, brake, dip, dip.

Old December 21st 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rui

Unicycle-Emele;1154655 wrote:
Is there any problem with the bearing slipping or the wheel being off
center. My trials is like that but I never thought it was a big enough
deal to fix it. Should I try and fix it or will it be ok if I just leave
it alone.

I noticed a little off balance in my 29er. It makes sense physically
speaking eventhough it was only half a centimeter. But haven't tried it
yet after the fix, so I don't know if it is only psicological.

It was not hard at all to fix, but if you feel like it may do more
worse than good, and if as you say you don't notice anything strange,
maybe it's better to leave it like that. Ha, great advice hex

Cheers

--
rui
Old December 22nd 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

Rui, in this case the problem was in your bearing apparently. It could
also have been in your wheel itself like you assumed initially. If the
wheel is not wobbling but it is biased towards one side, that is not
called "out of true" as one poster said. It is called that your wheel is
dished. There exists also a condition as in your thread title, which is
when the hub is off-centre. That would be that if you ride, you go up
and down because the hub is not in the centre of the rim in a sideways
view. All three conditions are corrected through spoke tensioning, but
the procedures are of course different (and you don't need to know now
because your problem is solved anyway).

Your crank extractor is not of the right type for an ISIS hub. There
are special ISIS crank extractors with a bigger 'foot'. But if you only
lose one 0.02 Euro coin every time you extract a crank, and there is no
other problem (like still damaging the inner thread, or being involved
in the criminal act of destroying money), an ISIS extractor won't pay
itself back for a l-o-o-o-o-o-ng time. And maybe you could even re-use
the bent coin...

--
Klaas Bil

Help needed! feel the light Unicycling 18 October 23rd 07 11:04 PM
Help needed! hectorqlucero Unicycling 2 June 14th 07 12:13 AM
Wheel/Tire not centered? Smeltz Unicycling 14 July 27th 06 05:22 AM
Wheel/Tire not centered? harper Unicycling 0 July 20th 06 07:19 PM
Spinergy front axle not centered, cog rubs on frame... Glen Hendry Techniques 4 February 4th 04 06:19 AM