Vaseline as grease

Old December 28th 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_2_]

Default Vaseline as grease

Ok, call me a bit stupid but can Vaseline be used for greasing a thread?
I would think it would be fine but tell my why if it should not. I am
not talking about greasing something that needs a lot grease but maybe a
thread like on a brake pad or similar.
--
Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church
Old December 28th 09, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Dec 27, 8:27*pm, Mark Cleary wrote:
Ok, call me a bit stupid but can Vaseline be used for greasing a thread?
* I would think it would be fine but tell my why if it should not. I am
not talking about greasing something that needs a lot grease but maybe a
* thread like on a brake pad or similar.
--
Deacon Mark Cleary * * * * * * *
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church

Yeah, but it will probably break down a lot faster than grease for
bearings, threads and other applications. Auto grease is really cheap
too.
Old December 28th 09, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 28-12-2009 4:27, Mark Cleary schreef:
Ok, call me a bit stupid but can Vaseline be used for greasing a thread?
I would think it would be fine but tell my why if it should not. I am
not talking about greasing something that needs a lot grease but maybe a
thread like on a brake pad or similar.

Why use vaseline when any grease is cheaper and better? I bought 500 ml
grease years ago and I didn't use half of it. I have 8 bikes. Go figure.

Lou
Old December 28th 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 27, 9:27*pm, Mark Cleary wrote:
Ok, call me a bit stupid but can Vaseline be used for greasing a thread?
* I would think it would be fine but tell my why if it should not. I am
not talking about greasing something that needs a lot grease but maybe a
* thread like on a brake pad or similar.

It would work fine for a thread. However, I wouldn't trust a guy that
has Vaseline laying around willy nilly.

Old December 28th 09, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 28 Dec, 03:27, Mark Cleary wrote:
Ok, call me a bit stupid but can Vaseline be used for greasing a thread?
* I would think it would be fine but tell my why if it should not. I am
not talking about greasing something that needs a lot grease but maybe a
* thread like on a brake pad or similar.

Petroleum jelly is fine for bicycle threads, either that or oil. You
dont want to be splashing oil around brake pads or rims. So, either a
proper little oil can or use the jelly with a stick. I dont like to
use a typical auto grease with its thickener or soap because there are
some types which will end up binding the threads and will not allow
for accurate feel when refastening after some time. Overtensioning of
the bolt may then occur with stripped threads or later, snapping.
Could possibly have influenced my failures with seat pin clamp bolts.
Old December 28th 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Dec 27, 10:27*pm, Mark Cleary wrote:
Ok, call me a bit stupid but can Vaseline be used for greasing a thread?
* I would think it would be fine but tell my why if it should not. I am
not talking about greasing something that needs a lot grease but maybe a
* thread like on a brake pad or similar.

I can't imagine a reason to try it!

Well, maybe if I were riding across some remote area of the Dakotas,
had a squeak that was driving me crazy, forgot to bring any oil with
me, and came upon a store that had only vaseline, no oil or grease.

BTW, on brake parts, I'd be much more likely to use blue Loctite than
to use grease. It prevents threads rusting just as well, and it also
prevents accidental loosening. Same is true on fender attachments,
rack attachments, etc.

- Frank Krygowski

Old December 28th 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 28 Dec, 17:53, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Dec 27, 10:27*pm, Mark Cleary wrote:

Ok, call me a bit stupid but can Vaseline be used for greasing a thread?
* I would think it would be fine but tell my why if it should not. I am
not talking about greasing something that needs a lot grease but maybe a
* thread like on a brake pad or similar.

I can't imagine a reason to try it!

Well, maybe if I were riding across some remote area of the Dakotas,
had a squeak that was driving me crazy, forgot to bring any oil with
me, and came upon a store that had only vaseline, no oil or grease.

Any lip balm or fat.

BTW, on brake parts, I'd be much more likely to use blue Loctite than
to use grease. *It prevents threads rusting just as well, and it also
prevents accidental loosening. *Same is true on fender attachments,
rack attachments, etc.

So does a decent level of torque when the lubricant is oil or pet
jelly.
Old December 28th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Dec 28, 11:02*am, thirty-six wrote:
On 28 Dec, 03:50, " wrote:

On Dec 27, 8:27*pm, Mark Cleary wrote:

Ok, call me a bit stupid but can Vaseline be used for greasing a thread?
* I would think it would be fine but tell my why if it should not. I am
not talking about greasing something that needs a lot grease but maybe a
* thread like on a brake pad or similar.
--
Deacon Mark Cleary * * * * * * *
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church

Yeah, but it will probably break down

Doesn't.

I don't know the technical properties of vaseline vs auto grease.
However, when I work with vaseline a good wash with water and soap
will get rid of it. With auto grease I have to use a stronger
detergent and much hotter water.

Get The Vaseline!!!!!! Rik Van Slick Racing 2 November 24th 09 10:21 PM
Get The Vaseline!!!!!! ronaldo_jeremiah Racing 1 November 24th 09 08:06 PM
Vaseline Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 88 October 11th 08 11:08 PM
Phil Wood Grease vs Pedros' Syn Grease Llatikcuf Techniques 3 August 15th 05 05:46 PM
Carbon parts: to grease or not to grease??? ccrider Techniques 9 May 27th 04 11:39 PM