Real tourist stuff

Old January 14th 10, 02:29 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Wallenfang

Default Real tourist stuff

On Jan 12, 10:49*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Jobst Brandt" wrote in message

Try it, you'll like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1AAaNx9_vA

A great ride.

Jobst Brandt

I really enjoyed this video. Many thanks Jobst.

My Dad worked for the railroad when he was a young man and he loved trains
all of his life. He got into model trains (HO gauge) and constructed model
steam locomotives from pictures in railroad magazines. I came along too late
for the era of steam locomotives. Although the diesel locomotives were
something too, they could never approach the mighty roar of the steam
locomotives.

A year ago a steam locomotive was making a circuit of the Upper Midwest and
everyone in town turned out to have a view of it as came through. What a
magnificent monster it was. Everyone was out taking pictures and marveling
at the wonder of it all.

I once had an occasion cross the Rocky Mountains in Colorado on my touring
bike. I picked a railroad grade crossing. It was easy. Those railroad
engineers knew how to get over mountains with the least amount of effort.

These large steam locomotives were a marvel of the ages. I never liked to
ride on trains for some reason, but I loved to see and hear the roar of
steam locomotives. The poor Indian never had a chance once these monsters
opened up the West.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

I'll second the sentiment. What did you do, Jobst, ride your bike
ahead of the train a few times and stop to videotape it at various
places?
Old January 15th 10, 12:09 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

NOT jb, dolan's route !

like the Alps are so pass a ....