The Banks of the Ohio

Old January 14th 10, 04:41 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default The Banks of the Ohio

On Jan 13, 4:18*pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,

On 2010-01-13, Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
[...]

My favorite Joe Green is Elisabeth Schwartzkopf singing Libera Me from
the Manzoni Requiem

You mean Betty Blackhead?

I have a Telarc version of the Verdi Requiem (Shaw/Atlanta Symphony)
where the opening drum strikes practically knock you out of your seat.
Telarc's typical sonic showcase -- for better or worse.

I know the Verdi Requiem is regarded as a great piece of music, loved
by all, etc., but I think it is bloated and a little over the top.
Call me crazy. I much prefer the Ein Deutsches Requiem, but then I am
almost Lutheran (Episcopalian married to Lutheran), so that figures.

Then you enjoy Bach cantatas?

Here is a good piece of liturgical music on a small scale.

Gioacchino Rossini
Petite Messe Solennelle
pour 4 solistes, chœur, 2 pianos, & harmonium.

The Michel Corboz (1989) performance is recommended.

I don't know that piece, but I'll give it a whirl. Rossini wrote some
great tunes, and Bugs Bunny would have suffered terribly without him.
-- Jay Beattie.

P.S. I practically wore a hole in the William Tell Overture LP when I
was a little kid. Fritz Reiner or Arthur Fiedler or someone like
that. One of those greatest hits "Living Presence" kind of albums --
back when every home had a record player and at least a few classical
albums -- if only Andre Kostelanetz bon-bons. I mean really, people
tuned in to CBS to listen to orchestral music.
Old January 14th 10, 05:26 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jan 13, 9:12*pm, Jobst Brandt wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
My favorite Joe Green is Elisabeth Schwartzkopf singing Libera
Me from the Manzoni Requiem
You mean Betty Blackhead?

Well I mean Joe Green aka Giuseppe Verde!

[...]

I think many readers don't know that Rossini's piece is the Lone
Ranger sound track and that it appeals to many male youth for that
reason rather than that Tonto can sing.

I'll stick with the sound of C&T steam over Cumbres Pass (CO) or the
Va Pensiero for its heraldic surges resonating the emotions of an
outcast folk anticipating a new promised land:

*http://tinyurl.com/of33ml

The feeling I get when cresting the Stelvio and its magnificent
glacial covered peak (Ortler) and the grand canyon before my feet.

If the sounds from the past of these locomotives doesn't move you to
tears nothing can. *What a voice!

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1AAaNx9_vA

It moves me to tears when I can't get to sleep because it keeps
blowing its GD whistle! See http://www.sp4449.com/ This thing lives
across the river from my house during the holiday season. I live on a
hillside that acts as an amphitheater. BTW, my sister was a licensed
steam engineer and drove this train down in your hood back in the
'70s. http://www.bjwrr.org/ SP offered her a job (novelty girl
engineer, I guess), but she decided to go to Columbia business school
instead, which turned out to be a good choice. -- Jay Beattie.
Old January 14th 10, 06:54 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Jobst Brandt wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:

My favorite Joe Green is Elisabeth Schwartzkopf singing Libera
Me from the Manzoni Requiem

You mean Betty Blackhead?

Well I mean Joe Green aka Giuseppe Verde!
[...]

So did I.

"Betty Blackhead" of course refers to Walter Legge's wife.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Old January 14th 10, 05:59 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

On 2010-01-13, Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
[...]

My favorite Joe Green is Elisabeth Schwartzkopf singing Libera Me from
the Manzoni Requiem

You mean Betty Blackhead?

I have a Telarc version of the Verdi Requiem (Shaw/Atlanta Symphony)

where the opening drum strikes practically knock you out of your seat.
Telarc's typical sonic showcase -- for better or worse.

I know the Verdi Requiem is regarded as a great piece of music, loved

by all, etc., but I think it is bloated and a little over the top.
Call me crazy. I much prefer the Ein Deutsches Requiem, but then I am
almost Lutheran (Episcopalian married to Lutheran), so that figures.
-- Jay Beattie.

I do not care much for masses and other sacred music, but there are a few
exceptions, Brahms being chief among them. Beethoven and Schubert were also
worthwhile in this genre. The Italians were too operatic when it came to
sacred music. A mass should be more like a symphony than an opera.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old January 15th 10, 02:50 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jan 14, 12:59*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

I do not care much for masses and other sacred music, but there are a few
exceptions, Brahms being chief among them. Beethoven and Schubert *were also
worthwhile in this genre. The Italians were too operatic when it came to
sacred music. A mass should be more like a symphony than an opera.

For sacred music, I'm fond of women's a capella early music.

In Mulieribus http://www.inmulieribus.org/

Anonymous 4 http://www.anonymous4.com/

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 15th 10, 04:20 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jan 14, 6:50*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jan 14, 12:59*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

I do not care much for masses and other sacred music, but there are a few
exceptions, Brahms being chief among them. Beethoven and Schubert *were also
worthwhile in this genre. The Italians were too operatic when it came to
sacred music. A mass should be more like a symphony than an opera.

For sacred music, I'm fond of women's a capella early music.

In Mulieribus *http://www.inmulieribus.org/

Anonymous 4 *http://www.anonymous4.com/

Skipping forward 500-600 years or more, Poulenc did a nice a capella
mass in G. I thought I owned it, but I just have Gloria and Sabat
Mater (DG Berlin Philharmonic). Both beautiful pieces. I'm not
usually a Poulenc fan, but he wrote some interesting and engaging
choral music -- for a modern composer (died in 1963).

I'll tell you, some of those a capella "early music" groups sound
creepy to me -- like the haunted cathedral kind of scene, or really
early music like Gregorian chants is enough to coerce a confession out
of anyone but the most serious musicologist -- like musical water
boarding. My musical start point is about Tallis/Monteverdi and
centered firmly in the Romantic era along with late or post-Romantic
composers who forgot to get off the train at the turn of the century,
like Rachmaninoff or Sibelius. I like some modern composers, usually
the tonal ones. I once went to a John Cage concert in the '70s (Cage
conducting San Jose Symphony) and enjoyed the sound of feet walking
out, although I was supposed to be listening to the sound of a
symphony orchestra playing a score derived by punching holes through a
star chart on to staff paper. At least you don't have to worry about
playing in a rest -- just call it a small star. -- Jay Beattie.
Old January 15th 10, 06:54 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Jay Beattie wrote:

On Jan 14, 6:50Â*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jan 14, 12:59Â*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

I do not care much for masses and other sacred music, but there are a few
exceptions, Brahms being chief among them. Beethoven and Schubert Â*were also

In Mulieribus Â*http://www.inmulieribus.org/

Anonymous 4 Â*http://www.anonymous4.com/

[...]

If you ever have a tune in your head you cannot get rid of
put John Cage on the player. Gahr Uhn Teed.

--
Michael Press
Old January 15th 10, 04:17 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jan 15, 1:54*am, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
*Jay Beattie wrote:
I once went to a John Cage concert in the '70s (Cage
conducting San Jose Symphony) and enjoyed the sound of feet walking
out, although I was supposed to be listening to the sound of a
symphony orchestra playing a score derived by punching holes through a
star chart on to staff paper. At least you don't have to worry about
playing in a rest -- just call it a small star. -- Jay Beattie.

If you ever have a tune in your head you cannot get rid of
put John Cage on the player. Gahr Uhn Teed.

A group of cycling friends and I once attended a recital by another of
our cycling friends, who's a professional classical musician. He
included a Cage piece. I think we offended him by interpreting it as
being funny.

ISTM that for a piece of music, painting, sculpture, etc. to qualify
as "art," a reasonably intelligent observer would have to be able to
detect mistakes. Cage fails to meet that standard.

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 15th 10, 06:26 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

*Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]

His cohort, Lou Harrison, taught at my alma matter, San Jose State
University, and wrote some neat stuff. http://www.newalbion.com/artists/harrisonl/
Both studied under many of the same composers and wrote similar
compositions in the early years and were friends, but Lou decided to
write music that one could enjoy rather than just think about. He did
not get famous, though. The tortured super-intellectual music never
appealed to me, regardless of genre. Some of my disdain comes from the
crowd that pushes it -- people with no day job and who speak in
footnotes, but I digress. -- Jay Beattie..
Old January 15th 10, 06:46 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

[...]

There are two types of serious fine art music that I do not care for - a
capella and organ music.

I'll tell you, some of those a capella "early music" groups sound

creepy to me -- like the haunted cathedral kind of scene, or really
early music like Gregorian chants is enough to coerce a confession out
of anyone but the most serious musicologist -- like musical water
boarding.

Medieval church music was more chant than anything else. It might as well be
music from Mars. I don't even think the monks liked it much. It was designed
to concentrate the mind on God and nothing else. It was all boring and
monotonous.

My musical start point is about Tallis/Monteverdi and

centered firmly in the Romantic era along with late or post-Romantic
composers who forgot to get off the train at the turn of the century,
like Rachmaninoff or Sibelius.

I would start the era of music that can still be appreciated today with
Haydn and Mozart, maybe Bach and Handel. Tallis and Monteverdi were still
too early. I really like what Stravinsky said about the concertos of Vivaldi
.... that he wrote one concerto 400 times.

I like some modern composers, usually

the tonal ones. I once went to a John Cage concert in the '70s (Cage
conducting San Jose Symphony) and enjoyed the sound of feet walking
out, although I was supposed to be listening to the sound of a
symphony orchestra playing a score derived by punching holes through a
star chart on to staff paper. At least you don't have to worry about
playing in a rest -- just call it a small star. -- Jay Beattie.

Music stopped with the late Russians like Stravinsky and Shostakovich. Music
has to remain tonal or it has no relevance to our Western ears. Even the
ever eccentric Bernstein came to that conclusion near the end of his life.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

The Banks of the Ohio AMuzi Recumbent Biking 2 January 26th 10 12:41 AM
The Banks of the Ohio Tom Sherman °_°[_2_] Social Issues 42 January 19th 10 05:15 AM
The Banks of the Ohio Tom Sherman °_°[_2_] Techniques 42 January 19th 10 05:15 AM
The Banks of the Ohio AMuzi UK 0 January 12th 10 05:39 PM
The Banks of the Ohio AMuzi Techniques 0 January 12th 10 05:39 PM