Waiting in traffic lines.

Old April 17th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
DennisTheBald

Default Waiting in traffic lines.

On Apr 16, 12:09 pm, Marz wrote:
When driving to work the other day (sorry, yes driving, cycling is not
really an option right now) I noticed the one cycling commuter ( a
very rare sight in Houston) and was surprised to see him wait in line
with traffic at the lights. For me, one of the reasons I did ride to
work is to avoid getting stuck in traffic lines and my question is, do
other folks wait in line or do you ride through stationary traffic?

laters,

Marz

You're on the same roads, you've got the same rules, at least
stateside - all y'all 'cross the pond actually have consideration for
bikes written into the laws rather than slapped on at the end like
some kind of afterthought, dontcha.

If the lane is wide enough to share it with a car in the middle of the
block then it must be at the light too, but if I'm taking the lane...
Well, some times even when I'm taking the lane I will move all the way
over to the left edge of that lane to let right turning motorists
squeeze by at the light, but I'm a freaking prince among men whereas
people in spandex are mostly terrible knuckleheads like Kim Jong Il.
(How many commuters do you see wearing spandex, if you gotta buy five
$50 jerseys and hand wash 'em where's the cost savings?)
Plot a course that minimizes being in the situation where you're
waiting for traffic lights, not getting caught up in the motorists'
daily version of critical mass is one of the best parts of being a
Biking (yes, horned head gear). And if you're commuting you're
probably going to the same place every day, you ought to be able to
find better spaces to be in that thems that are completely filled up
with car farts.
Old April 17th 08, 12:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Aeek

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:00:53 -0700 (PDT), DennisTheBald
wrote:

Well, some times even when I'm taking the lane I will move all the way
over to the left edge of that lane to let right turning motorists
squeeze by at the light, but I'm a freaking prince among men whereas

If you mean move out to let the indicating motorist turn curbside,
yes, I like to do that too. One of lifes little pleasures.

people in spandex are mostly terrible knuckleheads like Kim Jong Il.

Almost all the braindead, unaware, road rule ignorant cyclists I see
are wearing "regular" clothes.

(How many commuters do you see wearing spandex, if you gotta buy five
$50 jerseys and hand wash 'em where's the cost savings?)

About 1/3, more during winter. Less if I go past a University.

Only need 2 sets, machine wash and spin, the jerseys can even go in
the dryer.
Old April 17th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Marz

On Apr 16, 7:00*pm, DennisTheBald wrote:
On Apr 16, 12:09 pm, Marz wrote:

[...]

I did look into my route options to work and I have 3.
One to follow the feeder road along I10 and then turn down a short
street to the office, a very fast route as there's fewer lights and
the speeding traffic creates a nice tail wind/draft, but it's not the
safest route.
Option 2 it the straightest route along a 4 lane road through the
neighbourhoods, it's a nice wide road, speed limits of 30, 35 and 40 a
lot of traffic and a lot of lights and hence the need to queue jump,
but it is quick.
And option 3 a nice quiet ride through the smaller roads in the
neighbourhood, it zigzags a bit, adds about 2 miles to a 9 mile route
and not so much traffic, BUT I can't ride it. Bunker Hill have banned
cyclists from the road and I'm left to share the sidewalk/pavement/
foot path with joggers, dog walkers and of course have to check almost
every road and drive crossing before moving on, not fun at all.

Laters,

Marz
Old April 20th 08, 07:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dennis P. Harris

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:49:27 -0700 (PDT) in rec.bicycles.misc,
Marz wrote:

And option 3 a nice quiet ride through the smaller roads in the
neighbourhood, it zigzags a bit, adds about 2 miles to a 9 mile route
and not so much traffic, BUT I can't ride it. Bunker Hill have banned
cyclists from the road and I'm left to share the sidewalk/pavement/
foot path with joggers, dog walkers and of course have to check almost
every road and drive crossing before moving on, not fun at all.

How can they ban bikes? AFAIK in most states cities can't ban
bikes from streets or roads. I'd just do it and fight the
ticket.

Old April 21st 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Marz

Marz wrote:
And option 3 a nice quiet ride through the smaller roads in the
neighbourhood, it zigzags a bit, adds about 2 miles to a 9 mile route
and not so much traffic, BUT I can't ride it. Bunker Hill have banned
cyclists from the road and I'm left to share the sidewalk/pavement/
foot path with joggers, dog walkers and of course have to check almost
every road and drive crossing before moving on, not fun at all.

How can they ban bikes? *AFAIK in most states cities can't ban
bikes from streets or roads. *I'd just do it and fight the
ticket.

Dunno how it came about, but here's the local ordinance...

Sec. 9-131. Bicycle paths--When use required.
Wherever a useable public path for bicycles has been provided adjacent
to a public street, bicycle riders shall use such path and shall not
use the public street.
(Ord. No. 317, § 1, 9-8-87)

... I think the local bike clubs having been trying to change it for
some time.

Waiting in traffic lines. Martin Dann UK 5 May 15th 08 03:04 PM
Waiting in traffic lines. DougC UK 5 April 19th 08 10:34 AM
Waiting in traffic lines. Simon Mason[_2_] General 22 April 18th 08 06:34 PM
Waiting in traffic lines. Simon Mason[_2_] UK 22 April 18th 08 06:34 PM
Waiting in traffic lines. Ian Smith UK 0 April 16th 08 06:27 PM