Powered Bicycles

Old December 15th 06, 09:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Aeek

Default Powered Bicycles

I'm suddenly seeing more of these around Canberra, the riders not
pedalling at all. Tonights was a little scary, coming towards me on
the path, motorbike styled fairing and motorbike helmet, it was only
when I noticed the unused pedals that I realised it wasn't a
motorbike.
Of course, it could still be outside the Australian power limit.
Old December 15th 06, 03:00 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Chris Baird wrote:
(Pushbikes aren't quite eligible for NRMA roadside
assistance..)

Actually, I think they are (now), or was that RACV?
Old December 15th 06, 09:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle
ray

Aeek wrote:
I'm suddenly seeing more of these around Canberra, the riders not
pedalling at all. Tonights was a little scary, coming towards me on
the path, motorbike styled fairing and motorbike helmet, it was only
when I noticed the unused pedals that I realised it wasn't a
motorbike.
Of course, it could still be outside the Australian power limit.

The Roadside Assist is RACV. The 200W power limit is essentially a dumb
idea that throttles the use of alternative transport. The Chinese
manufacture more than half a million assisted bicycles rated at 500W
each year. The number we import is precisely Zero, because of this
archaic and idiotic regulation. So much for combatting climate change.
Old December 15th 06, 11:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

ray wrote:

Aeek wrote:
I'm suddenly seeing more of these around Canberra, the riders not
pedalling at all. Tonights was a little scary, coming towards me on
the path, motorbike styled fairing and motorbike helmet, it was only
when I noticed the unused pedals that I realised it wasn't a
motorbike.
Of course, it could still be outside the Australian power limit.

The Roadside Assist is RACV. The 200W power limit is essentially a dumb
idea that throttles the use of alternative transport.

I don't think expecting people to have to be licenced (and thus, at
least to a certain extent, trained) to drive a vehicle under power ,
and the vehicle to have to conform to safety standards is a dumb idea
that damages anything. The opposite, on the other hand, IMO , is.

Old December 16th 06, 03:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2006-12-15, Bleve (aka Bruce)
ray wrote:
Aeek wrote:
I'm suddenly seeing more of these around Canberra, the riders not
pedalling at all. Tonights was a little scary, coming towards me on
the path, motorbike styled fairing and motorbike helmet, it was only
when I noticed the unused pedals that I realised it wasn't a
motorbike.
Of course, it could still be outside the Australian power limit.

The Roadside Assist is RACV. The 200W power limit is essentially a dumb
idea that throttles the use of alternative transport.

I don't think expecting people to have to be licenced (and thus, at
least to a certain extent, trained) to drive a vehicle under power ,
and the vehicle to have to conform to safety standards is a dumb idea
that damages anything. The opposite, on the other hand, IMO , is.

Unfortunately, in most states in Australia, you need a motorbike
license even for sub 50cc. But even for those states who do allow you
to ride sub 50cc motorbikes on a car license, you still can't ride
these bikes. Given that they are low powered light weight
alternatives to real motorbikes, that makes absolutely no sense
whatsoever to me.

And it does cut off a real alternative. Getting a motorbike license
is a real pain (I don't have one yet because I'm lazy. I also can't
see how I can get a motorbike up here, and then go through the process
of getting a license and transporting the bike around until I do get
the license; but maybe I'm a little dim). Given these things will not
be much less safer than a bicycle, why the hell should one have to go
through that pain?

--
TimC
"I looked back and bikes and riders were flipping in the air. There
Old December 16th 06, 03:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Mike

ray wrote:

The Roadside Assist is RACV. The 200W power limit is essentially a dumb
idea that throttles the use of alternative transport.

Well, where do you draw the line then?
Or do you think we should stop regulating all motor vehicles?
You are quite free to buy a more powerful moped, but you need a
drivers license, registration, and it must meet safety standards.
Is that so bad?

The Chinese
manufacture more than half a million assisted bicycles rated at 500W

The ones that look like motor scooters? I've seen those in China, and
they are a useless fad. First, you only ever see them in flat cities,
where a regular bicycle would be better. In hilly places, where a
powered bike
would be useful, they don't exist, presumably due to limited power,
poor range and high cost of reduced battery life.

If battery technology improves, e.g. cheaper Li-Ion, then 500W electric
bikes might be practical.

Regular bicycles with bolt-on petrol engines are much more practical
currently, but just not fashionable.

The 200W limit comes from the power of a regular, fit cyclist, as these
motorised bikes are intended for the disabled, not for lazy slobs
who have had their drivers' license suspended.

Old December 16th 06, 03:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Vincent Patrick

Bleve wrote:

ray wrote:

Aeek wrote:
I'm suddenly seeing more of these around Canberra, the riders not
pedalling at all. Tonights was a little scary, coming towards me on
the path, motorbike styled fairing and motorbike helmet, it was only
when I noticed the unused pedals that I realised it wasn't a
motorbike.
Of course, it could still be outside the Australian power limit.

The Roadside Assist is RACV. The 200W power limit is essentially a dumb
idea that throttles the use of alternative transport.

I don't think expecting people to have to be licenced (and thus, at
least to a certain extent, trained) to drive a vehicle under power ,
and the vehicle to have to conform to safety standards is a dumb idea
that damages anything. The opposite, on the other hand, IMO , is.

I agree, although it is worth keeping in mind that 500W is less than the
power of a moped (1000W).

Maybe there's a need for a special class for 200-500W vehicles, otherwise
people will avoid them and get a car or motorbike.

Cheers,

Vince

Old December 16th 06, 11:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
RV

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:37:25 +0900, Mike
wrote:

ray wrote:

[...]

You would use a LiPol packs for such a need.
Many use Lithium Polymer Batteries in radio controlled Helicopters
these days instead of Nitro engines.
I still fly Nitro but the Battery Helis that run LiPols are giving
a;lmost the same flying time.
This has only come about in the last 2 years of Helis.

LiPols really pack a punch of high current for longer periods, but
they catch fire if charged wrong, a fire so hot you get china
syndrome.
Burns through table and floor and will burn the house down

Incinerated a few fliers cars from leaving them in a car unused.
Pack swells and explodes with a burst of green flame, looks about as
bright as arc welding at the burning core..

Na, OTH, **** the LiPols, too expensive.

Bolt on a turbine, if youre gonna catch fire on a bike you may as well
light it right up and put on a show.

Solves the problem of having some extra crank power to make the best
of a gap in traffic on the bike, a short burst on the after burner and
youre kicking arses and taking names.

Here's one

Any cars nearby will just pull over and clear the way when they see
the 3 ft flame from the rear of the cycle.

Old December 16th 06, 11:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

"Mike" wrote:

Regular bicycles with bolt-on petrol engines are much more practical
currently, but just not fashionable.

The 200W limit comes from the power of a regular, fit cyclist, as these
motorised bikes are intended for the disabled, not for lazy slobs
who have had their drivers' license suspended.

Then there is something like this:
http://cleverchimp.com/products/stokemonkey/

A very specific use for a power-assist that would be illegal here in
Victoria if you did import one, but not intended for the disabled nor the
lazy. It is designed to be used with a load carrying bike, and no pedalling,
no power. To my mind a very practical use of power-assist.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@

Steam Powered Bicycles Marc Brett UK 0 September 23rd 06 11:32 AM
INQUIRY: bike purchase [x-post rec.bicycles.marketplace, nyc.bicycles;rec.bicycles.misc] BFB General 2 May 3rd 05 10:09 PM
INQUIRY: bike purchase [x-post rec.bicycles.marketplace, nyc.bicycles;rec.bicycles.misc] BFB Marketplace 0 May 3rd 05 07:13 PM
rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides BW General 1 October 18th 03 04:45 PM
rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides BW Rides 1 October 18th 03 04:45 PM