rim/nipple corrosion

Old August 11th 07, 08:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default rim/nipple corrosion

I am using steel 'wheel smith' spokes but do not know the material of
my spoke nipples. My wheels are developing a white, powdery product
of corrosion on the heads of the nipples. Is this an indication that
my nipples are made of aluminium?

Old August 11th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On Aug 11, 1:24 am, "
wrote:
I am using steel 'wheel smith' spokes but do not know the material of
my spoke nipples. My wheels are developing a white, powdery product
of corrosion on the heads of the nipples. Is this an indication that
my nipples are made of aluminium?

yes...

Old August 11th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

PcBlaster, available at their local Wal-Mart or Dis**** Auto.
a drop on spoke shaft above each nipple where each nipple so lubed is
facing up toward the hub so Blaster can flow downward into the nipple
threads.
after brushing nipple/spoke jinction with wire brush.
allow soak 2-3 days.
repeat for all other spokes, turning wheel to allow downward flow.
patience before turning the maybe frozen nipples with a Spokey yields
eternal life.
then lube threads with linseed oil, turn nipples several times to
grind off the interior oxide.
retrue! if you do one nipple/spoke at a time then torque back up to
the feel you get after breaking the nipple loose, retrue should be
easy.
the nipples/spokes now ahve toooooooooooo many extra atoms between
threads

Old August 12th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BigBenBiker

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:25:59 -0000, "Qui si parla
Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" wrote:

On Aug 11, 1:24 am, "
wrote:
I am using steel 'wheel smith' spokes but do not know the material of
my spoke nipples. My wheels are developing a white, powdery product
of corrosion on the heads of the nipples. Is this an indication that
my nipples are made of aluminium?

yes...

I have just about the same problem, on a fairly recent wheel - the LBS
guy who built the wheel for me told me he had used "extra light"
niples, which is something never heard about before, and I now know I
don't want them ever again in a wheel I pay for: the other day I was
trueing this wheel, and the nipples came apart, some literally into
dust...

I had never seen this before, on several other wheels I've trued now
and then. I was shocked.

This problem is hapening on my rear wheel - nice ;-( My front was
built at another LBS, and while they did not use "extra light" niples
- these have the usual lenght - they asked if wanted the nipples made
of aluminum or of any other material ....

Therefore my question, especially since I Iive by the seaside: what
should nipples be made of, instead of aluminum??

Thanks,
bbb

Old August 12th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

wrote:
[...]

Standard brass nipples seem to hold up fine. I don't see any reason to look for
anything else. I'd change your aluminum ones now before they corrode into place
or just start crumbling and falling off the bike.

Ron

Old August 13th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

BigBenBiker wrote:
I have just about the same problem, on a fairly recent wheel - the LBS
guy who built the wheel for me told me he had used "extra light"
niples, which is something never heard about before, and I now know I
don't want them ever again in a wheel I pay for: the other day I was
trueing this wheel, and the nipples came apart, some literally into
dust...

I had never seen this before, on several other wheels I've trued now
and then. I was shocked.

This problem is hapening on my rear wheel - nice ;-( My front was
built at another LBS, and while they did not use "extra light" niples
- these have the usual lenght - they asked if wanted the nipples made
of aluminum or of any other material ....

Therefore my question, especially since I Iive by the seaside: what
should nipples be made of, instead of aluminum??

Plated brass. And lubricated during build, too.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Upside-down bike and corrosion [email protected] Techniques 2 May 18th 06 01:33 PM
Coker Spoke Corrosion n9jcv Unicycling 3 October 31st 05 11:40 AM
handlebar corrosion under tape Kyle.B.H. Techniques 4 March 29th 05 06:42 PM
Fatigue, Corrosion, and Tape. waxbytes Techniques 0 November 11th 04 09:05 PM
corrosion in steerer tube KBH Techniques 4 July 11th 03 01:27 AM