Waiting in traffic lines.

Old April 21st 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

Default Waiting in traffic lines.

In article ,
writes:

I find myself sizing-up (literally) the vehicles in
all directions of an intersection, and considering
(among other factors) where I'm most visible at a
given situation when I decide where I place myself.
Sometimes that means getting ahead of a cube van or
garbage truck or whatever, sometimes that means hanging
back behind 'em, and sometimes that means getting in
line. It's a dynamic, on-the-spot, on-the-fly judgment
call. The point is: there is absolutely no Standard
Operational Procedure (other than local, jurisdictional
traffic [by]laws) as to where a rider should place her/himself
in a lineup at a controlled intersection. Just take the
best of what you've got at the time while, as you say,
considering the risks involved.

Hmm. I guess I can see a slight visibility disadvantage if a cyclist
is behind a large truck, but I don't see a significantly increased
risk of getting hit by other vehicles.

Consider this scenario: you're the last vehicle in your lineup,
and there's a large truck directly in front of you. Meanwhile,
there are left-turning drivers on the opposite side of the street,
eagerly awaiting their chance to go, and chompfing at the bit to
do so. They see the truck that's ahead of you, but do they see
/you/, behind it?

[...]

My joy in bicycling comes from dozens of different aspects. Filtering
forward, when I do it, is certainly less than 1% of the total.

I suppose my original post comes across as contentious
and argumentative, which was not my intent. At least,
I wish to not charge with emotion my point that filtering
is sometimes a viable and useful tactic when applied
judiciously and carefully. I also bear in mind that
discussing filtering might induce some people to associate
it with lane-splitting, which is an horse of a somewhat
different colour.

peace & goodwill, and much joy in cycling,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Old April 21st 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Apr 20, 10:51 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
writes:

Hmm. I guess I can see a slight visibility disadvantage if a cyclist
is behind a large truck, but I don't see a significantly increased
risk of getting hit by other vehicles.

Consider this scenario: you're the last vehicle in your lineup,
and there's a large truck directly in front of you. Meanwhile,
there are left-turning drivers on the opposite side of the street,
eagerly awaiting their chance to go, and chompfing at the bit to
do so. They see the truck that's ahead of you, but do they see
/you/, behind it?

I've been aware of what you're describing, both while riding and while
typing my previous response. I just don't think the hazard is
significant.

When I am behind a big vehicle at a traffic light, I frequently enjoy
the drafting help when traffic starts. They accelerate slowly, so I
can often get pulled up to 25 mph (and in my younger days, 30 mph).
In that situation, I'm close enough behind the truck that nobody could
cut that left turn sharply enough to hit me, or even come close.

In the instances where things are different (say, because the truck's
creeeping forward) I simply position myself toward the left side of
the lane. I can then see around the truck, and I can be seen by any
potential left-turners.

- Frank Krygowski