Unfair traffic lights.

Old May 12th 09, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
pk

Default Unfair traffic lights.

"Ian Smith" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 11 May 2009 23:04:35 +0100, pk wrote:

But your statement of what the highway code was so wrong as to be
deliberately deceitful to the casual reader

I disagree - it's an accurate summary of what it says. If the lights
are not working, you can proceed, even against red.

the highwaycode does not as you claim:

Still, the Highway Code states that I can ride through a red light
legally if my bike is not picked up by the sensors, but I am
reluctant
to be seen as a red light jumper, even when I am allowed to do so

Why do you claim that it does?

It does, why do you say it does not? What part of that summary is not
correct?

It does not STATE as Simon claims - that is his interpretation of the rule

pk

Old May 12th 09, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...

"Judith Smith" wrote in message

Given your ability with letters to the newspaper - why not write and
explain the problem, the fact that you have written to the authority
several times, and ask what others think you should do. You cannot be
the only cyclists in Hull affected by the problem.

To be fair to the Council, they are one of the best for cyclists.

http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/portal/page..._schema=PORTAL

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old May 12th 09, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Judith Smith" wrote in message

Given your ability with letters to the newspaper - why not write and
explain the problem, the fact that you have written to the authority
several times, and ask what others think you should do. You cannot be
the only cyclists in Hull affected by the problem.

I've just found this questionnaire - just the job!

https://forms.hullcc.gov.uk/AF3/an/d...me=AJrOEtfyvKA

Old May 12th 09, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
pk tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
"Ian Smith" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 11 May 2009 23:04:35 +0100, pk wrote:

But your statement of what the highway code was so wrong as to be
deliberately deceitful to the casual reader

I disagree - it's an accurate summary of what it says. If the lights
are not working, you can proceed, even against red.

the highwaycode does not as you claim:

Still, the Highway Code states that I can ride through a red
light legally if my bike is not picked up by the sensors, but I
am reluctant
to be seen as a red light jumper, even when I am allowed to do so

Why do you claim that it does?

It does, why do you say it does not? What part of that summary is
not correct?

It does not STATE as Simon claims - that is his interpretation of the
rule

Direct quote from the Highway Code: "If the traffic lights are not working,
treat the situation as you would an unmarked junction and proceed with great
care."

If a sensor-controlled light fails to pick up the presence of a vehicle it
is not working.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old May 12th 09, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...

"Judith Smith" wrote in message

Given your ability with letters to the newspaper - why not write and
explain the problem, the fact that you have written to the authority
several times, and ask what others think you should do. You cannot be
the only cyclists in Hull affected by the problem.

I've already had two letters published on the subject and written to the
Council with no joy. It is a different situation with my employers as they
were deliberately discriminating against cyclists, whereas these are just
badly adjusted sensors. I doubt if the Council deliberately fix them so
they don't pick up cyclists, they are probably bogged down fixing potholes
so car's suspensions aren't damaged.

Psst, I don't think cyclists are expected to take any notice of traffic
lights.

We do, but we are not expected to...

Old May 12th 09, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Tue, 12 May 2009 10:16:50 +0100, pk wrote:
"Ian Smith" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 11 May 2009 23:04:35 +0100, pk wrote:

But your statement of what the highway code was so wrong as to be
deliberately deceitful to the casual reader

I disagree - it's an accurate summary of what it says. If the lights
are not working, you can proceed, even against red.

the highwaycode does not as you claim:

Still, the Highway Code states that I can ride through a red
light legally if my bike is not picked up by the sensors, but
I am reluctant to be seen as a red light jumper, even when I
am allowed to do so

Why do you claim that it does?

It does, why do you say it does not? What part of that summary is not
correct?

It does not STATE as Simon claims - that is his interpretation of the rule

OK, what do you think 'STATE' means, then? My highway code does
state (ie, express in words) just that.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old May 12th 09, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Tue, 12 May, Simon Mason wrote:

I've already had two letters published on the subject and written
to the Council with no joy. It is a different situation with my
employers as they were deliberately discriminating against
cyclists, whereas these are just badly adjusted sensors. I doubt if
the Council deliberately fix them so they don't pick up cyclists,
they are probably bogged down fixing potholes so car's suspensions
aren't damaged.

The nearest set of lights to my house routinely don't detect me on my
steel-framed tourer. What happens is that I write or telephone to
complain. If I telephone, they talk some absolute ******** (I've been
told, for example, that bicycles are too light to trigger the pressure
pads under the tarmac). Whether I write or telephone, within about a
week they start detecting me, and within about two weeks after that
they stop detecting me again.

I assume that someone comes out and adjusts something to make the
detection work. Whether that has knock-on problems and they adjust it
back again two weeks later, or whether it just drifts out of
adjustment, I don't know.

However, after half-a-dozen repeats of the same month-long cycle, I
gave up reporting them. Now I just go through if they don't detect
me. I know they don't detect me, because if no traffic approaches
from anywhere they sit all red in all directions. From the line, I
can see all the lights (or reflections of them). When they detect
something, they immediately start the red-and-amber phase in that
direction.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old May 12th 09, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marz

On May 11, 10:59*am, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
"Judith Smith" wrote in message

How long do you wait before you decide that you have not been
detected?

Through maybe 2 -3 sequences which have missed my green out, but gone green
for the other three lights; left, right and centre.

What do you do the following day - just assume that they are still
"broken" and sail straight through on red?

No, there is one light at a crossroads that will not trip even when I lay my
bike flat on it. Luckily, it has a left turn with no light control so I turn
left then do a U turn and then turn left again. So in fact I can go straight
on without ever going past the red light.

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

All I can say is that you have a lot more patience than me when
waiting 2-3 times for the light to fail and that something like this
could help...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Traf...for-your-Bike/

Old May 12th 09, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thaksin

Simon Mason wrote:

wrote in message
On May 11, 8:23 pm, thaksin wrote:

Thats not what you said. You said "... the HC says I am allowed to jump
red lights". The lights you refer to are NOT faulty - they work
perfectly well when a car comes along, and that is the job they were
designed to do.

Ah, so traffic lights aren't designed for cyclists, eh? I think you
are making Simon's point for him

He made my point perfectly!

And don't put in quotes things I did not write please. Where did I say
the phrase ... "the HC says I am allowed to jump red lights"?

Okay, what you exactly said was "the Highway Code states that I can ride
through a red light legally if my bike is not picked up". That is not
true. The only "point made" was that you choose to interpret the HC,
which lets not forget isn't the law anyway, in a manner in which it was
not intended.

Traffic lights Tom Crispin UK 48 July 24th 07 04:34 PM
Traffic lights TimC Australia 5 February 6th 06 10:57 AM
Best position at traffic lights? Peewiglet UK 34 July 15th 05 03:40 PM
Stuck On Red (Traffic Lights) Chuck Recumbent Biking 8 July 6th 04 01:22 AM
How many cars run traffic lights? Robert Dole General 66 December 12th 03 10:15 PM