psycholist wearing a spur

Old June 8th 09, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Funk[_4_]

Default psycholist wearing a spur

On 2009-06-08, bugbear wrote:

Pob wrote:
"mileburner" wrote in message
"Jerry J" wrote in message ...

Judy dear, some of your argument on here is fascinating, indeed,
refreshing. But this sort of comment reveals your true colours ie. that
of a troll, at best, or simply a total idiot.
I like the idea of a spur. On the side of the shoe? That'll teach them to
drive so dangerously close.

Nah - it unbalances you. It's hard, really hard, to kick sideways on a bike
far enough to damage a car.

Perhaps some of the pedal clip manufacturers
could help us out here?

Apart from the legal and ethical issues, the idea sounds extremely
dangerous to the cyclist --- what if this "spur" snags on the car and
you get dragged along?
Old June 8th 09, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

"Jerry J" wrote in message ...

Judy dear, some of your argument on here is fascinating, indeed,
refreshing. But this sort of comment reveals your true colours ie. that
of a troll, at best, or simply a total idiot.
I like the idea of a spur. On the side of the shoe? That'll teach them to
drive so dangerously close.
Nah - it unbalances you. It's hard, really hard, to kick sideways on a bike
far enough to damage a car.

Perhaps some of the pedal clip manufacturers
could help us out here?

Apart from the legal and ethical issues, the idea sounds extremely
dangerous to the cyclist --- what if this "spur" snags on the car and
you get dragged along?

Hmm. Perhaps some kind of quick release, as used on skis?

BugBear
Old June 8th 09, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NM

On 8 June, 10:37, Keitht KeithT wrote:
Pob wrote:

Every good psycholist knows that you just put sandpaper on your gloves and
leave them a nice bald spot on the roof (door if it's a chelsea tractor).

Isn't this what the padding on the gloves are for?
The slap on the car roof that sounds like thunder inside --
The sonic boom that stops the buggers in their tracks.
No damage, no mess, no scratches - just a reminder that a couple of
coats of paint is a bit too close.

Sounds dangerous to me. the advice presupposes that the car driver
will not react whereas the reaction you could get may well not be the
one you expect and could be very painful. Road rage taking over could
cause a car to be launched in your general direction with possible
unhappy consequences for all concerned.

Better not to do such silly things really.

Old June 8th 09, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

Pob wrote:

Every good psycholist knows that you just put sandpaper on your gloves
and
leave them a nice bald spot on the roof (door if it's a chelsea
tractor).

Isn't this what the padding on the gloves are for?
The slap on the car roof that sounds like thunder inside --
The sonic boom that stops the buggers in their tracks.
No damage, no mess, no scratches - just a reminder that a couple of
coats of paint is a bit too close.

Sounds dangerous to me. the advice presupposes that the car driver
will not react whereas the reaction you could get may well not be the
one you expect and could be very painful. Road rage taking over could
cause a car to be launched in your general direction with possible
unhappy consequences for all concerned.

Better not to do such silly things really.

mileburner puts on sensible head
If a car or other vehicle comes too close when overtaking, simply lean to
the left and move to the left by about half a metre. As soon as they pass,
check behind and move back to the safer position of at least a metre away
from the kerb/verge.
mileburner removes sensible head

Old June 8th 09, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marz

On Jun 5, 10:44*pm, Judith M Smith wrote:
This morning I passed a psycholist in the 'primary position'
(so-called, but not in the Highway Code, we all know) so I had to cut
close. I saw him stick his leg out and heard some scraping - the
******* was wearing something like a spur for scratching cars.

That's about £200 of damage to my car, but I'm not going to get it
fixed yet. *I'll get the ****wit next week and teach him to ride in
the gutter where he belongs.

Do psycholists buy these things at their meetings, or are they all
home-made?

-- * * * * *

Passenger casualty rates by mode Per billion passenger kilometers:
Killed or seriously injured:
Pedal Cyclists : 533 * * * Pedestrians : 384
All casualties:
Pedal Cyclists : 3739 * * * Pedestrians : 1795

Which do you think is the most dangerous?

Probably the rider just had studs in his mountain bike cycling shoes.
I have half inch rugby studs fitted in the toes of my shoes, great for
walking in muddy conditions and now, it seems, also useful for
scratching cars.
Old June 8th 09, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 08:46:00 -0700 (PDT), Marz
wrote:

[...]

Yes of course you do - has school finished early today?

--

The BMA (British Medical Association) urges legislation to make the wearing of cycle helmets compulsory for both adults and children.

The evidence from those countries where compulsory cycle helmet use has already been introduced is that such legislation has a beneficial effect on cycle-related deaths and head injuries.
This strongly supports the case for introducing legislation in the UK. Such legislation should result in a reduction in the morbidity and mortality associated with cycling accidents.
Old June 8th 09, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Daniel Barlow

NM writes:

Sounds dangerous to me. the advice presupposes that the car driver
will not react whereas the reaction you could get may well not be the
one you expect and could be very painful. Road rage taking over could
cause a car to be launched in your general direction with possible
unhappy consequences for all concerned.

Better not to do such silly things really.

Exactly. It would be more prudent to wait until the driver has stopped
and left the protection of his warm cocoon-like vehicle then get a
couple of mates to hold the gutless coward while you knife him

I assume this is acceptable in a civilised society. I mean, the
preceding post seeks to excuse road rage on the part of car drivers, so
I guess it must be.

-dan
Old June 8th 09, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 16:30:16 +0100, "mileburner"
wrote:

mileburner puts on sensible head
If a car or other vehicle comes too close when overtaking, simply lean to
the left and move to the left by about half a metre. As soon as they pass,
check behind and move back to the safer position of at least a metre away
from the kerb/verge.
mileburner removes sensible head

Jesus wept! It's a cast-iron miracle! Put it back on immediately.
Old June 8th 09, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NM

Daniel Barlow wrote:
NM writes:

Sounds dangerous to me. the advice presupposes that the car driver
will not react whereas the reaction you could get may well not be the
one you expect and could be very painful. Road rage taking over could
cause a car to be launched in your general direction with possible
unhappy consequences for all concerned.

Better not to do such silly things really.

Exactly. It would be more prudent to wait until the driver has stopped
and left the protection of his warm cocoon-like vehicle then get a
couple of mates to hold the gutless coward while you knife him

Two mates??? and he's the coward???

I assume this is acceptable in a civilised society. I mean, the
preceding post seeks to excuse road rage on the part of car drivers, so
I guess it must be.

Sadly you seem to lack comprehension skills, there is no excusing of
any act by any party in my post, pointing out possible consequences is
not offering excuses, even your guess is incorrect. Try reading it
again.
Old June 8th 09, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 19:49:38 +0100, Phil W Lee
phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:

bugbear considered Mon, 08 Jun
2009 15:33:36 +0100 the perfect time to write:

"Jerry J" wrote in message ...

Judy dear, some of your argument on here is fascinating, indeed,
refreshing. But this sort of comment reveals your true colours ie. that
of a troll, at best, or simply a total idiot.
I like the idea of a spur. On the side of the shoe? That'll teach them to
drive so dangerously close.
Nah - it unbalances you. It's hard, really hard, to kick sideways on a bike
far enough to damage a car.

Perhaps some of the pedal clip manufacturers
could help us out here?

Apart from the legal and ethical issues, the idea sounds extremely
dangerous to the cyclist --- what if this "spur" snags on the car and
you get dragged along?

Hmm. Perhaps some kind of quick release, as used on skis?

BugBear

Leather knee & elbow guards, covered with the type of metal studs
favoured by 1950s rockers.
Nobody could object to cyclists wearing protective equipment, could
they?

Have you found the reference to that figure yet - you know the one
which says that 8 pedestrians are killed every day through tripping up
and slipping on dog ****.

You are now looking rather silly over it

--
Someone calling himself Lou Knee made a post in urc
referring to another poster as "a piece of ****".

Psycholist judith UK 13 November 13th 08 08:05 AM
Bike trail conditions spur action - Little Miami Trail Garrison Hilliard General 0 November 12th 08 01:22 PM
Bike trail conditions spur action - Little Miami Trail Garrison Hilliard Rides 0 November 12th 08 01:22 PM
What's wearing out in my gearchange? Colin McKenzie UK 7 July 18th 04 11:59 PM
I was wearing one Niv UK 24 June 25th 04 12:52 AM