LA News today

Old June 11th 21, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default LA News today

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 12:30:20 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 5:25:30 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/10/2021 4:22 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 10:12:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 7:30:58 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://ktla.com/morning-news/techno...ve-richontech/

After thinking about what Lou said I suppose that the modern generation is still young enough to think of electric bikes as a viable form of transportation. It won't take too many winters to change their minds about that but they will doubtless tough it out for a decade or two. Long enough to learn that man-made climate change was nothing more than another tool of the left to instill fear in the stupid people for mass control.

Once again Tom, you amaze us with your comments. I will restrain from making any direct remarks about them.

http://www.laalmanac.com/weather/we17.php
Above is a link to snow in Los Angeles. Andy's post above was about Los Angeles.

You wrote "I suppose that the modern generation is still young enough to think of electric bikes as a viable form of transportation. It won't take too many winters to change their minds about that but they will doubtless tough it out for a decade or two."

The above webpage on Los Angeles snow says the RECORD for one day and one month is from January 1932. 89 years ago. Once a lifetime event. 89 is well above the life expectancy in the USA. And they got a whopping 2 inches that day in 1932. Where I live and where Andy lives, bicyclists laugh at a measly pitiful pathetic 2 inches of snow. It takes 2 feet to be a real concern.

I've been to Los Angeles several times. March was the coldest month I visited. Brrrr. Went to Disneyland in shorts and t-shirt on that trip. Guessing shorts and t-shirts would have been appropriate for the entire winter season in Los Angeles.

On the above webpage for snow in Los Angeles they list all the snow events in downtown Los Angeles since 1918. Its snowed in 15 years from 1918 to 1962. Mostly trace amounts. But some were measurable. The table shown stops at 1962. I don't know if it has never ever snowed in downtown Los Angeles from 1962 to 2021, or the webpage just stopped the table at 1962. But if its the former, it has never ever snowed in downtown Los Angeles since 1962, then that would seem to support the factually supported theory that the earth is warming. Thus no snow in downtown Los Angeles for 59 years. Most likely due to man caused actions.

I've been to San Francisco a couple times about two decades ago. Summer time I think. So no winter experience with San Francisco. But I'm guessing winter in San Francisco area is very mild to say the lease. Cyclable on electric and regular bikes every day of the year. Supposedly you live in Oakland, on the other side of the Bay. Guessing winter weather in Oakland is the same as in San Francisco. Cyclable all winter long. You have yet to amaze us with your winter riding adventures in blizzards so I'm guessing it doesn't snow in San Francisco area.

So we have determined that there is no winter in San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles, San Diego. Yet you wrote "It won't take too many winters to change their minds."

in re Global Warming:

Today, 10 June, it's snowing at the west border of Montana,
5 inches expected (from a customer driving heavy machinery
transport).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...une/ar-AAKUAiI

carry on.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/hoo...ht-2021-06-10/
https://news.yahoo.com/hoover-dam-re...100814715.html
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ir-drought-low

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_Dam

"In total, water from Lake Mead serves 18 million people in Arizona, Nevada, and California and supplies the irrigation of over 1,000,000 acres (400,000 ha) of land."
Montana has 1.09 million residents total. Diminishing water from Hoover Dam serves 18 million people. 18 to 1 ratio there. Area of Montana is 147,040 square miles. 94 million acres. So Hoover only irrigates a mere 1.064% of the area of the state of Montana.
But another Google search says the following
"and the lands these waters drain are all part of the "Colorado River Basin." The rivers drain 242,000 square miles in the United States, or one-twelfth of the country's continental land."
So Hoover drains 1.6 times the area of the state of Montana.

Your comments above say the 5 inches of snow is on the western border of Montana. Going to the Sun road, pass, is over there. Famous bike route. But the whole state of Montana did not get 5 inches of snow. Just the Going to the Sun road got 5 inches of snow.

Russell the Farmer speak again with all of his knowledge about what is going on with the water of the Colorado River.
Old June 11th 21, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/10/2021 4:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

We don't disagree.

I received the report from a trucker going that way, I
shared it, noting 'western border of Montana'.

Old June 11th 21, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On 6/10/2021 4:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

Don't look now but it is SUMMER
Old June 11th 21, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On 6/10/2021 4:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

I have tried to make an effort to explain how and why man-made climate change does not exist and CANNOT exist but I can't tell whether people like Frank oppose me simply to oppose me or whether they simply don't understand the science.

They seem to love the idea that without a degree I couldn't possibly be a scientist despite working as one for most of 50 years.
Old June 14th 21, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 6/10/2021 7:30 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://ktla.com/morning-news/techno...ve-richontech/

I think that the future of non-car transportation (other than for dense
cities) is a combination of personal mobility devices with a safety net
of on-demand shuttles that supplements a very few bus or light-rail lines.

When I was a local elected I had to deal with my county's highly
dysfunctional public transit system which has the poorest fare recovery
of any transit system in the U.S. (and possibly the world)--we're #1
http://ti.org/antiplanner/?p=289. My City ended up starting up our own
shuttle system because it was clear that we would never be able to get
adequate service from the County system which is basically controlled by
San Jose.

Electric personal mobility devices are the only hope of getting more
people out of their cars since they are faster and more convenient than
most public transit. I'd rather spend $40 million to provide 40,000
electric bicycles than to use it build one mile of a light rail system.
If we can subsidize electric cars with tax credits we can be doing the
same with electric bicycles.
Old June 14th 21, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/13/2021 7:26 PM, sms wrote:
I'd rather spend $40 million to provide 40,000
electric bicycles than to use it build one mile of a light rail system.
If we can subsidize electric cars with tax credits we can be doing the
same with electric bicycles.

East of California and north of Tennessee, I think almost all electric
bikes would sit unused for at least four months of the year, no matter
the level of subsidy.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 14th 21, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/13/2021 6:26 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

Amazingly we see the problem similarly.

'Light rail' is only light on logic. Heavy on the taxpayer's
neck with small to nil benefit and a host of new problems
while the intended problems resist solution.

For 'fare recovery' nothing, and I state that categorically,
nothing beats the Milwaukee Trolley. That much reviled
boondoggle was imposed on the taxpayers like a weighted yoke
with a big fat zero for revenue.

That's not hyperbole. Revenues are zero.

They never planned, designed or installed any method to
collect fares.

https://empowerwisconsin.org/streetc...ed-boondoggle/

It's like an 'Idiocracy' parody of The Future.

Old June 14th 21, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 5:03:50 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/13/2021 6:26 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

The expenses of a publicly operated rail are absolutely unbelievable. Amtrak is 50 years old now and it has never once gotten anywhere close to turning a profit. In 2019 they lost only $817,000 I believe and they use other people's rails. Light rail trains in order to run fast have to be on their own rails and those rails have a VERY high maintenance cost.

Jay was telling us that high speed trains could run on normal rail gauges because that is what the Japanese do. But American engineers have said another thing altogether. They think that the real gauge for high speed trains should be two feet wider than the standard gauge. But I'm certain that Jay knows a great deal better.

They want wider a gauge because they want wider cars that sit more on the tracks and are less likely to tip over in a derailment at high speeds. BART has a 5'6" gauge if memory serves whereas a standard rail gauge is 4'8 1/2" So American engineers want more like 6 1/2' But you know those public rail transportation engineers they don't know a thing.

As for skidding on the tracks like BART does - all they need for high speed light rail is a differential. If the world's heaviest tank and trucks can use a differential why wouldn't high speed rail?

But why would ANYONE take a high speed light rail when they could fly in a third the time and a 10th the cost?
Old June 14th 21, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/13/2021 6:26 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

With some number of iterations on the Shinkansen all over
Japan for several years I can assure you that US standard
rail gauge is quite functional in a nicely engineered and
maintained system.

Old June 14th 21, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 16:26:55 -0700, sms
wrote:

[...]

But, but, but. You still need the car for those rainy days. Except
those that live in Southern California where it never rains :-)
Or, for that matter when it snows, or when the temperature reaches the
lower end of the scale - every state in the continental U.S. has seen
temperatures drop below zero.
--
Cheers,

John B.

TODAY'S CYCLE NEWS datakoll Techniques 55 June 1st 09 11:59 PM
today's big news bar Racing 33 April 24th 09 09:03 AM
BBC news story today Peter Wilson Australia 14 August 5th 05 07:33 AM
Vecchio's in the news today Fritz M Techniques 13 September 18th 04 02:47 PM
Today's news Richard Goodman UK 13 January 28th 04 08:45 PM