My new KH/Schlumpf 36!!!

Old December 15th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

Default My new KH/Schlumpf 36!!!

I took the geared 36 out on the bike trail on Saturday for 20
miles(still taking baby steps getting back into the swing of distance
unicycling) and my legs felt great afterwards. It definitely worked out
my legs more, and there was an annoying headwind for some of the ride
(which really affects the g36), but I had NO joint pain. Unicycling
distances has always been associated with some slight leg pain, but
riding this thing has cured that.

I also commuted to work on the geared 36 today(actually first time
commuting to work on a Uni since about 6 months ago due to my knee
injury) and once again it was a thrill! I am not sure of how long it
took me to do the 7.5 miles, but it took me about an hour and 10 minutes
to leave my house, unicycle to work, stash my unicycle in my cubicle,
take a shower, change, and eat breakfast.

A few notes on commuting with it: Shifting is not that hard, BUT I am
scared to shift in traffic, so I am always slow coming out of a traffic
light and it takes me a while before I am comfortable shifting with cars
behind me. It is a much more relaxed commute overall than riding a
geared 29 was or riding an ungeared 36. I am still faster commuting to
work on my road bike, but I think my new geared 36 will be my vehicle of
choice for commuting for a while.

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland
*James* = my name
Old December 15th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

TonyMelton;1148009 wrote:
'the other three are for sale' (http://tinyurl.com/69yyp5)!

I think I said -consumer-.

harper;1148106 wrote:
I once had all of the geared unicycle hubs in the world in my living
room.

Was Frank Bonsch's hub with the club?

--
Klaas Bil
Old December 15th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

Klaas Bil;1150282 wrote:

Was Frank Bonsch's hub with the club?

No. Frank's hub didn't exist at the time. Briefly, I had all of them.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith
Old December 16th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

harper;1150289 wrote:
No. Frank's hub didn't exist at the time. Briefly, I had all of them.

You know, one of these days we must get the IUF to set up a unicycle
museum somewhere. Those hubs should be there as part of unicycling
history. I hope they retire gracefully!

Ken

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old December 16th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

GizmoDuck;1150503 wrote:
You know, one of these days we must get the IUF to set up a unicycle
museum somewhere. Those hubs should be there as part of unicycling
history. I hope they retire gracefully!

Ken

Wow Ken, there's an idea for your retirement And you should give
guided tours through it. By that time you yourself are part of
unicycling history which will be an additional attraction to the museum.

--
Klaas Bil
Old January 5th 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

I thought I would post an update after doing about 200 miles on the
geared 36.

I put a T7 handle on it recently instead of using the GB4s. I miss the
control I had with the GB4s, but the T7 gives me more leverage for
climbing hills which you really need in high gear. I get sketched out
using the T7 on bumpy surfaces and came close to having a UPD over a
bump that would have been no problem on a GB4, but the T7 really does
help for hills and for tucking low on flats.

I find myself consistently downshifting now, and I am actually getting
worse at upshifting for some reason. I took the uni out on the Custis
trail here which is known to be a rollercoaster of a bike path and I was
able to navigate it no problem hitting every downshift. It feels so
smooth when shifting and I am still amazed at how cool it feels to ride
in high gear up to a hill and then quickly downshift when it starts
getting hard. I dreaded shifting with the geared 29er, but with the
geared 36er I actually get excited at the thought of downshifting for a
hill.

My max speed so far has been hovering close to 24mph. On flats I can
do 20mph if I am tucked down and the path is smooth, but it gets hard to
sustain it. I would say on average I go between 14-18mph most of the
time.

My legs get such a workout from this beast too. More so than any other
unicycle I have tried. I love that my muscles hurt during a ride and
not my joints.

The KH/Schlumpf 36er is the best uni I have ever owned, I highly
recommend purchasing one if you can afford it.

Old January 5th 09, 06:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nathan

siafirede;1164720 wrote:

I find myself consistently downshifting now, and I am actually getting
worse at upshifting for some reason.

Same exact thing happened to me.

siafirede;1164720 wrote:

My max speed so far has been hovering close to 24mph.

Wow! I haven't really tried going fast yet. I let it go a little on one
smooth descent on the way to work and hit 20.9 mph easily. The potential
for speed is amazing!

siafirede;1164720 wrote:

My legs get such a workout from this beast too. More so than any other
unicycle I have tried. I love that my muscles hurt during a ride and
not my joints.

I SO Agree!

siafirede;1164720 wrote:

The KH/Schlumpf 36er is the best uni I have ever owned, I highly
recommend purchasing one if you can afford it.

This says it all!

---Nathan

--
nathan
Old January 6th 09, 03:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TonyMelton

GizmoDuck;1148109 wrote:
Heh, I once had the only geared unicycle in the Southern Hemisphere.

I currently have the only Titanium unicycle I know of in the Southern
Hemisphere

Keith McKay had a homemade geared unicycle before you had your first
Schlumpf. He brought it to the first UniNats in 2001.
http://tinyurl.com/8mu4hv

I'll soon have a Titanium unicycle!

--
TonyMelton

'Take a squizz at my YouTube videos!'
(http://www.youtube.com/user/unimeltdown)

36’’ Schlumpf hendyjr05 Unicycling 31 October 30th 07 12:58 AM
36’’ Schlumpf Daytripper63 Unicycling 0 October 27th 07 12:16 AM
My new Schlumpf Tigger Unicycling 12 February 20th 07 10:00 PM
Schlumpf 36 siafirede Unicycling 28 December 6th 05 07:27 AM
Coker, Schlumpf 29er, or Schlumpf 36er siafirede Unicycling 9 November 12th 05 12:37 AM