Unicycles on the plane (long instructions)

Old December 20th 05, 03:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Unicycles on the plane (long instructions)

Great advice John, & all. Here is a pic of what I used to travel with
this summer. I had the 29er and the 36er with me, which are harder to
travel with than the smaller wheels. I agree totally with the curb side
checker. The lady behind the counter also mentioned to me about the
upcoming changes on oversize bags, like the "hockey" bag that my
frames, etc are in. Weight is really important, they will charge extra
for weight as well as oversize bags. Leaving Aspen I had no problem,
but coming back I had to switch some items around to make it work w/o
paying extra $$. BTW, if anyone is interested, those wheel bags can be
purchased here, they are made out of tower pad material, and are solid.

|Filename: Unicycle travel bags001.JPG |

aspenmike
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

Old December 20th 05, 08:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

aspenmike wrote:
BTW, if anyone is interested, those wheel bags can be purchased here,
they are made out of tower pad material, and are solid.

Aspenmike,

I am interested. Where can one get those bags?

--
Icycle

Randy
The path to enlightenment is shorter on a unicycle
Icycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10724

Old December 21st 05, 01:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

if anyone is interested, those wheel bags can be purchased here, they
are made out of tower pad material, and are solid.

I too am interested.
I just yook my 24 muni to maui and thanks to John Foss I got a large
suitcase/bag from the local flea market and was able to pack it well
and no problems at the airport but would like to take my 360 on trips

--
Daytripper63
Daytripper63's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10789

Old December 21st 05, 02:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Daytripper63 wrote:
I too am interested.
I just yook my 24 muni to maui and thanks to John Foss I got a large
suitcase/bag from the local flea market and was able to pack it well
and no problems at the airport but would like to take my 360 on trips

I will check with my source on price and availability for the different
sizes. I cut cardboard circles out to go against spokes, then some
bubble wrap and filled the gap with jerseys, etc. soft goods. The
shoulder strap and handle work very well together. Props to Nathan for
helping me get started on design!

Old January 5th 09, 09:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rolandisimo

I've had a 29 or 24" uni along for plane rides a 1/2 dozen times over
the last year. The first time I boxed it up and the box fell apart so I
abandoned that and just checked it without any wrapping. This has
worked well for me, no damage yet (what, are they going to scratch my
muni?). Airline regulations about luggage in general seem to change
weekly, and with no official rules about Unis, the mood of the persons
you check in with is the most important. On my most recent trip they
wanted $200 for my 29" uni as a 3rd bag so I took it as a carry-on
instead with no (major) problems ('more details on this here'
(http://tinyurl.com/9v742r)).
-Ro

--
rolandisimo
Old January 5th 09, 09:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mikepenton

I've been suprisingly lucky recently with what must be the world's worst
airline for excess charges: Ryan Air. If you have one bag to check in
that'll be an extra £16 please - each way. They'll happily charge
you if you're 1 kilo overweight and have a miserly 15kg allowance too.
"sports equipment" is charged something like £50 extra (I can't
remember if that's each way) and these rates will probably have
increased by the time this post is completed.

However I carry my 24" along with clothes etc in a saggy (soft with
some padding at the axle) bike wheel bag with no branding. If asked I
say it contains "a wheel", which they can tell by feel anyway. no
problems on something like 10 flights with some of the more difficult
airlines in Europe...

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)
Old January 5th 09, 03:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sigve

When I tok my unicycle to tromsų, I had no problems. Sent it as "special
luggage" and it didn't cost anything. I flew with Norwegian. Nothing
happened to it, and no questions asked. No wrapping, just a little note
on it, like on any other suitcases or bags.

--
sigve

_*Sorry_for_my_english_it's_not_great,_but_I_work_ hard_to_get_it_better_
*_
Old January 5th 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tak

mikepenton;1164611 wrote:
I've been suprisingly lucky recently with what must be the world's worst
airline for excess charges: Ryan Air. If you have one bag to check in
that'll be an extra £16 please - each way. They'll happily charge you if
you're 1 kilo overweight and have a miserly 15kg allowance too. "sports
equipment" is charged something like £50 extra (I can't remember if
that's each way) and these rates will probably have increased by the
time this post is completed.

Yeah, we recently discovered that 'United's baggage policy'
(http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52481,00.html) was changed to
something very similar, -after- we bought our tickets.

--
Tak

"Unicycling goes against common sense." --maestro8
Old January 5th 09, 04:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wobbling bear

Tak;1164705 wrote:
Yeah, we recently discovered that 'United's baggage policy'
(http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52481,00.html) was changed to
something very similar, -after- we bought our tickets.

Hey I am going to fly with this company!: maximum 2 baggages and each
baggage no more than 23kilos. that makes a total of 46kg!
usually I can't fly with more than 20kg per person!
Since I want to go from Europe to Moab with my Muni a 20kg total is
easily reached! (I probably need something around 25kg: one suitcase
with everything+ 1 bag with Muni).

--
wobbling bear

One Wheel : bear necessity
Old January 5th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tak

wobbling bear;1164712 wrote:
Hey I am going to fly with this company!: maximum 2 baggages and each
baggage no more than 23kilos. that makes a total of 46kg!
usually I can't fly with more than 20kg per person!
Since I want to go from Europe to Moab with my Muni a 20kg total is
easily reached! (I probably need something around 25kg: one suitcase
with everything+ 1 bag with Muni).

Looks like their 'international policies'
(http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52482,00.html) are much more
relaxed.
For us, the issue wasn't weight, it was size - the maximum size item
one can check domestically without being hit with a $175-each-way fee is
62 linear inches, which -might- just barely fit a 29" wheelset with no
additional hardware.
Probably we would have considered carrying on if we'd known that they
weren't making any attempt to enforce their posted 9"x14"x22" maximum
carryon size.