"Do not feed the dinosaur! Ride a bike!"

Old February 18th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Baxter

Default cars get the lion's share

-
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"Dave Head" wrote in message

Now, the damn driveway is a glare of ice, which is negotiated OK by my AWD
Subaru WRX. The roadways are _mostly_ clear of ice, but not parking

lots - I
damn near sprained something in the movie parking lot last night after

seeing
"Breach".

-----------
Ice Walker Cleats by Covell Covell Ice Walker cleats are easy on; economical
protection for slippery conditions. These rust resistant steel cleats dig
into the ice for a firm foothold.
http://www.vtarmynavy.com/ice-cleat.htm

Snow and Ice Traction Cleats
http://cozywinters.com/ice-cleats/ice-cleats.html

also:
http://www.shoechain.com/
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/traccleatans.html

Scandinavian bicycle tire manufacturer Nokian makes carbide-studded "ice"
tires for winter riding.
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000239.php

also:
http://bluecollarmtb.com/2007/01/18/...tter-traction/
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

Old February 18th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Bill Baka

nash wrote:
You want to ride your bike in 20 degree temperatures and 20 mile an
hour winds with ice and salty slushy crap all over the roads, you be
my guest. I'll stick with the car; heart disease is the least of my
worries under those conditions.
-- ,

I do not think we get heart disease from driving or taking transit in foul
weather. I am talking about over the years 99% of the time drivers could
have walked to the corner grocery and not taken a humvee.
Gov'ts do not want you healthy anyway. It is too lucrative for all the
scientists and car manufacturers, nurses, doctors, and police.

There's actually a grain of truth in that. They also don't want too many
of us baby boomers living long enough to collect our Social Security
checks. Publicly, they will make noise about smoking, laziness, and
heart attacks, cancer, and stuff, but I think in secret they just want
you to drop dead at 62. Funny how people are supposed to retire at 62-67
but politicians stay on until....well, forever if they can. I can see it
now, Teddy Kennedy being removed from his seat, stiff as a board. His
death only noticed because he hadn't said anything for a week.
Could happen???
Bill Baka
Old February 18th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Clark F Morris

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 18:57:22 GMT, Dave Head wrote:

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 18:32:33 GMT, "nash" wrote:

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
groups.com...
On Feb 16, 9:23 pm, "Jack May" wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message

ps.com...

But the good news is the facts are on our side and an ounce of
truth trumps a tonne of lies. Given the choice, most people opt for
carfree experiences: speedy tram trips, vacations in Venice, strolls
to local markets, and public gathering places free from motor
vehicles. The challenge then is to promote existing carfree otions and
to create new ones.

You really should wait to until you come down from you drug high before
posting insane gibberish

You forget two important words: GIVEN THE CHOICE. People often do none
of the above because they don't have a choice. Same thing for riding a
bike...

"The culture is so geared to motor vehicles, it's oppressive," says
Craig Barnes, events coordinator of Transportation Alternatives, the
nonprofit group that organizes Bike Week, with sponsorship from the
city's Department of Transportation. "It's a real catch-22. People say
they'd bike if they saw more infrastructure, like bike lanes, parking,
traffic law enforcement, but city planners and politicians say they
won't give more until they see a need for it. Who's going to make the
first move? We try to link these two things."

You know, cars get the lion's share...

"The skew to cars, despite their disadvantages, is so profound,
politicians and bureaucrats spend entire careers simultaneously trying
to accommodate and tame traffic."

http://www.transalt.org/press/media/...0509voice.html

And hence we have a health problem linked to heart disease because people
would rather look like blimps than fight the gov't.
Never mind how many bikers die on the road. What about the no. 1 killer
which would not have happened if we were not this car centric.

Two wheels?

I got up and looked at my brand new Radio Shack indoor-outdoor thermometer this
morning, the bottom screen read 72.5 degrees, and the top one read 12.8
degrees.

Now, the damn driveway is a glare of ice, which is negotiated OK by my AWD
Subaru WRX. The roadways are _mostly_ clear of ice, but not parking lots - I
damn near sprained something in the movie parking lot last night after seeing
"Breach".

2 wheeled vehicle? Not on your life. I'd be having to buy a casket, mine. And
short of that, there's frostbite.

Face it, a car is an all-weather solution, or as close as you can get to one
for moving around locally. Even the damn DC Metro, the closes transit to which
I _still_ don't have access, stops when there's a lotta snow. They don't even
try - the snow shorts out the 3rd rail. So much for the exhaulted electric
trains. If they woulda just kept 'em in tunnels, I guess...

I hope they still aren't using snow as an excuse for extended outages.
If they are suggest to them that they contact other transit
authorities in the northern United States, the TTC in Canada, Hamburg,
Stockholm, Oslo, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and Munich.

Dave Head

Old February 18th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Sancho Panza

-

"Dave Head" wrote in message

[...]

Does anyone know how many of these are sold in the U.S.?

Old February 18th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Sancho Panza

"nash" wrote in message
You want to ride your bike in 20 degree temperatures and 20 mile an
hour winds with ice and salty slushy crap all over the roads, you be
my guest. I'll stick with the car; heart disease is the least of my
worries under those conditions.
-- ,

I do not think we get heart disease from driving or taking transit in foul
weather. I am talking about over the years 99% of the time drivers could
have walked to the corner grocery and not taken a humvee.

Sure, the corner grocery is more than two miles away and I've got three or
four bags of groceries to carry back. Got a good way to do that?

Old February 18th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Fred G. Mackey

Sancho Panza wrote:
"nash" wrote in message

Sure, the corner grocery is more than two miles away and I've got three or
four bags of groceries to carry back. Got a good way to do that?

You're not crippled, are you? You could walk and carry the bags. It
would be good exercise. I would drive too, but you asked for a good way
to do it.
Old February 18th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
nash

"Sancho Panza" wrote in message

"nash" wrote in message
You want to ride your bike in 20 degree temperatures and 20 mile an
hour winds with ice and salty slushy crap all over the roads, you be
my guest. I'll stick with the car; heart disease is the least of my
worries under those conditions.
-- ,

I do not think we get heart disease from driving or taking transit in
foul
weather. I am talking about over the years 99% of the time drivers could
have walked to the corner grocery and not taken a humvee.

Sure, the corner grocery is more than two miles away and I've got three or
four bags of groceries to carry back. Got a good way to do that?

If you wanted to you would find a way.
Wait till you get a heart attack. Why should anybody care if you do.

I take more than one bicycle trip for my groceries and I have one produce
store 3 miles away. Does not stop me.

Old February 18th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Arif Khokar

[Leaving group distribution alone since I don't know what group you're
posting from]
nash wrote:

I take more than one bicycle trip for my groceries and I have one produce
store 3 miles away. Does not stop me.

I do get most of my groceries on bike when it's warmer, but there are
certain things I have to use the car for (like when I purchase several
watermelons)
Old February 18th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

On Feb 18, 12:30 pm, "Sancho Panza" wrote:
"nash" wrote in message

You want to ride your bike in 20 degree temperatures and 20 mile an
hour winds with ice and salty slushy crap all over the roads, you be
my guest. I'll stick with the car; heart disease is the least of my
worries under those conditions.
-- ,

I do not think we get heart disease from driving or taking transit in foul
weather. I am talking about over the years 99% of the time drivers could
have walked to the corner grocery and not taken a humvee.

Sure, the corner grocery is more than two miles away and I've got three or
four bags of groceries to carry back. Got a good way to do that?

Hey Sancho, you disappoint me with that logic. No wonder you got a big
belly.

You may split the load into two trips. Or you may simply ride a
tricycle with a basket in the back, old-guy style. If you rode an ass
with DonQuixote, a three-wheeled bike wouldn't fit you that bad.

Old February 18th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default Does the word "options" scare anyone?

nash wrote:
I take more than one bicycle trip for my groceries and I have one produce
store 3 miles away. Does not stop me.

I do get most of my groceries on bike when it's warmer, but there are
certain things I have to use the car for (like when I purchase several
watermelons)

Nobody is proposing here a no-car option. We are proposing OPTIONS,
like people choosing whether they need a car in freezing weather or
simply riding a bike in beautiful sunny weather.

Does the word "options" scare anyone?