How bad can a tear get

Old March 7th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

Default How bad can a tear get

Repaired my tire with a dime, rubber patch, duck(t) tape, and now it is
popping through again.
Should I put a quarter or nickel in instead. I have a piece of rubber
grips for handle bars I could put in. I just had the pansela for about a
year and i hate to throw it away.
rip is about 1/2". A quarter may cause problems since they are only 1.25"
tires,
100psi.
Anyone with much experience with this problem?

Thank-you
Zen

Old March 7th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

Repaired my tire with a dime, rubber patch, duck(t) tape, and now it is
popping through again.
Should I put a quarter or nickel in instead. I have a piece of rubber
grips for handle bars I could put in. I just had the pansela for about a
year and i hate to throw it away.
rip is about 1/2". A quarter may cause problems since they are only 1.25"
tires,
100psi.
Anyone with much experience with this problem?

Thank-you
Zen

You need to save your dimes, quarters & nickels and buy a new tire. Unless
you really want to find out how good your local EMTs are, that is. It's OK
to plug a very small hole with reinforced fabric (blue jean material, thin
piece of an old tire etc), but large casing ruptures are dangerous. Doesn't
matter how old or new it is; I remember blowing a Clement Criterium Seat
Extra (which would now sell for about $100) to bits on its first ride, just
out of my driveway. Ouch.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old March 7th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
nash wrote:
Repaired my tire with a dime, rubber patch, duck(t) tape, and now it
is popping through again.
Should I put a quarter or nickel in instead. I have a piece of
rubber grips for handle bars I could put in. I just had the pansela
for about a year and i hate to throw it away.
rip is about 1/2". A quarter may cause problems since they are only
1.25" tires,
100psi.
Anyone with much experience with this problem?

Try a Twenty.

Excellent. Thanks everyone. : ))

Old March 7th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Bill Sornson" wrote: Try a Twenty.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Guy is in a restroom booth, and calls out: "I'm out of toilet paper--what
should I do?" Answer from outside: "Use a dollar bill." Voice from inside:
"Anyone got change for a twenty?"

Old March 7th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Marz

On Mar 7, 2:09 pm, "nash" wrote:
Repaired my tire with a dime, rubber patch, duck(t) tape, and now it is
popping through again.
Should I put a quarter or nickel in instead. I have a piece of rubber
grips for handle bars I could put in. I just had the pansela for about a
year and i hate to throw it away.
rip is about 1/2". A quarter may cause problems since they are only 1.25"
tires,
100psi.
Anyone with much experience with this problem?

Thank-you
Zen

It's already got there. Throw that tyre away and get a new one. All
those tricks for fixing a split tyre are for getting you home or to
the bike shop so you can fit another tyre.

Old March 8th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dennis P. Harris

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 18:09:25 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, "nash"
wrote:

Repaired my tire with a dime, rubber patch, duck(t) tape, and now it is
popping through again.

wake up, dude, the tire is past gone. puncture repairs in the
tread are ok, but once the sidewall is ripped or abraded the tire
is NOT safe. murphy says it will blow when the 18 wheeler is
right behind you.

it's long past time for a new tire, goofus.

Old March 8th 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

wrote:

Repaired my tire with a dime, rubber patch, duck(t) tape, and now it is
popping through again.

wake up, dude, the tire is past gone. puncture repairs in the
tread are ok, but once the sidewall is ripped or abraded the tire
is NOT safe. murphy says it will blow when the 18 wheeler is
right behind you.

it's long past time for a new tire, goofus.

Excuse me for trying to save money. you all boast about the 10 K miles you
get with your tires so I thought it was sad.
Hell, I got it going for about a 3/4 of year. So maybe you are the goofus
here.
You do not have to be so rude. I said thank-you long before you showed up
DA.
If you are not here to help people asking questions then what are you doing
here.
Good bye forever

Old March 8th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66

nash wrote:

Excuse me for trying to save money. you all boast about the 10 K miles you
get with your tires so I thought it was sad.
Hell, I got it going for about a 3/4 of year. So maybe you are the goofus
here.
You do not have to be so rude. I said thank-you long before you showed up
DA.
If you are not here to help people asking questions then what are you doing
here.
Good bye forever

You got the goodie out of that tire. Time to break down and purchase
some new skins.

You can carry this economizational type thing too far, you know. =]
Old March 8th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

"catzz66" wrote in message
nash wrote:

Excuse me for trying to save money. you all boast about the 10 K miles
you get with your tires so I thought it was sad.
Hell, I got it going for about a 3/4 of year. So maybe you are the
goofus here.
You do not have to be so rude. I said thank-you long before you showed
up DA.
If you are not here to help people asking questions then what are you
doing here.
Good bye forever

You got the goodie out of that tire. Time to break down and purchase some
new skins.

You can carry this economizational type thing too far, you know. =]

That is just fine. I put a new one on after the second post and I said
thank-you.
When do people catch on? The first response already said that. I did not
need it 10 more times. the second and third were just jokes and then others
spoiled the whole thing. I am no moron so maybe everyone should just read a
little for god's sake.
This is what drives me to drinkin' Then I might think riding after that is
a good I dea Just hope I have guardian angels.
Life is too short.
Cheers

Brings a tear to the eye SuzieB Australia 10 April 1st 06 08:26 AM
sidewall tear czb Mountain Biking 8 October 3rd 05 07:49 PM
Do any of losers plan to tear up the trail above Echo Mt. this weekend! Rockstar Mountain Biking 26 December 7th 04 03:11 AM
O'Grady on a tear Richard Adams Racing 9 August 7th 04 12:08 AM
The cycling world sheds a tear .... Fabrizio Mazzoleni General 2 July 16th 03 02:40 AM