presta valves

Old June 12th 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mary

Default presta valves

Is it just me or do tubes with presta valves have to be filled up more
often? It seems like once a week I have to top off the air in the tubes.
Just wondering. Oh and before you ask, yes I make sure the valve is closed
all of the way after filling.

Old June 12th 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

On Jun 11, 10:25*pm, "mary" wrote:
Is it just me or do tubes with presta valves have to be filled up more
often? *It seems like once a week I have to top off the air in the tubes..
Just wondering. Oh and before you ask, yes I make sure the valve is closed
all of the way after filling.

The valve is the weakest link in any tube but it isn't the only place
air escapes. You lose pressure through the tube wall itself as well so
no matter how tightly you seat the valve you're still going to need to
get out the pump periodically. That said, needing to pump up the tires
once a week seems pretty much usual to me.

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old June 12th 08, 07:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Burr

"mary" wrote in message
Is it just me or do tubes with presta valves have to be filled up more
often? It seems like once a week I have to top off the air in the tubes.
Just wondering. Oh and before you ask, yes I make sure the valve is closed
all of the way after filling.

Mary,
I run 120psi so I have top off about once a week. I get three 20 or 30
mile rides a week. But the rides have nothing to do with, the tube walls
leak not the valve.

If you are real light you can run less air but the more air the easer it
is to turn the crakes but the more you bounce. The tour riders run
160-190psi.

Hope it helps.

Burr

Old June 12th 08, 07:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
mark

mary wrote:
Is it just me or do tubes with presta valves have to be filled up more
often? It seems like once a week I have to top off the air in the
tubes. Just wondering. Oh and before you ask, yes I make sure the valve
is closed all of the way after filling.

Narrow, high pressure tires need reinflating more often than wide, low
pressure tires. Thickness of the tube probably has an effect, as would
the quality of the valve. FWIW, I top off my road bike's tires (700x23)
before every ride, but I will go a month at a time without reinflating
my touring bike's tires (26 x 1.75"). Both have Presta valves.

mark
Old June 12th 08, 11:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66

mary wrote:
Is it just me or do tubes with presta valves have to be filled up more
often? It seems like once a week I have to top off the air in the
tubes. Just wondering. Oh and before you ask, yes I make sure the valve
is closed all of the way after filling.

Rather than take my chances, I top my tires off before every ride and
ride nearly every day. I know full well that I could skip a day or two,
but I would rather go through my routine than to ever have another pinch
flat.
Old June 12th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Guy Anderson, Sr.

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 03:25:03 GMT, "mary" wrote:

Is it just me or do tubes with presta valves have to be filled up more
often? It seems like once a week I have to top off the air in the tubes.

As several others have said, your experience with tires losing
pressure is entirely normal. Butyl is the slightest bit porous, so
the pressure escapes through the tube, not the valve--unless the valve
is defective or damaged (not likely). Ultra-light latex tubes are
worse yet, losing as much as 30# overnight!

Furthermore, your pre-ride pump-up is the perfect time to safety-check
your wheels and tires: check for loose bearings by shaking the wheel
side-to-side; spin the wheels and look for out-of-true wobbles (use
brake pad as stationary reference point); iInspect the tread for cuts,
bulges, abrasions, any other anomalies.
Old June 12th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_10_]

Furthermore, your pre-ride pump-up is the perfect time to safety-check
your wheels and tires: check for loose bearings by shaking the wheel
side-to-side; spin the wheels and look for out-of-true wobbles (use
brake pad as stationary reference point); iInspect the tread for cuts,
bulges, abrasions, any other anomalies.

I don't agree with you here; I think the best time to safety check the
wheels and tires is post-ride. After all, there you are in the pre-ride,
ready and dressed to go riding---and suddenly you see a slit in the side
wall. Inspect post-ride and you have time to get things fixed before the
next ride. I check my tires after a ride when I put the bike on the rack on
the back of my car. The bike is at eye level and it's a good time to do it.

Pat in TX

Old June 12th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Andrew Price

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 00:52:28 -0600, mark wrote:

Narrow, high pressure tires need reinflating more often than wide, low
pressure tires. Thickness of the tube probably has an effect, as would
the quality of the valve. FWIW, I top off my road bike's tires (700x23)
before every ride, but I will go a month at a time without reinflating
my touring bike's tires (26 x 1.75"). Both have Presta valves.

Also my experience - well, almost. I usually manage to do 2 to 3 days
(around 40km per day) between topping up my 700x23 road tyres (which I
run at 9 bar). The touring bike, with 700x40 tyres inflated to 4.5
bar, goes at least a month before needing a top up.
Old June 12th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Burr

"Guy Anderson, Sr." wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 03:25:03 GMT, "mary" wrote:

Is it just me or do tubes with presta valves have to be filled up more
often? It seems like once a week I have to top off the air in the tubes.

As several others have said, your experience with tires losing
pressure is entirely normal. Butyl is the slightest bit porous, so
the pressure escapes through the tube, not the valve--unless the valve
is defective or damaged (not likely). Ultra-light latex tubes are
worse yet, losing as much as 30# overnight!

Furthermore, your pre-ride pump-up is the perfect time to safety-check
your wheels and tires: check for loose bearings by shaking the wheel
side-to-side; spin the wheels and look for out-of-true wobbles (use
brake pad as stationary reference point); iInspect the tread for cuts,
bulges, abrasions, any other anomalies.

Nice post Guy!

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR TIRES!

Burr

Old June 13th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ZBicyclist

Bob wrote:
On Jun 11, 10:25 pm, "mary" wrote:
Is it just me or do tubes with presta valves have to be filled up
more often? It seems like once a week I have to top off the air
in
the tubes. Just wondering. Oh and before you ask, yes I make sure
the valve is closed all of the way after filling.

The valve is the weakest link in any tube but it isn't the only
place
air escapes. You lose pressure through the tube wall itself as
well so
no matter how tightly you seat the valve you're still going to
need to
get out the pump periodically. That said, needing to pump up the
tires
once a week seems pretty much usual to me.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Mary, in conjunction with getting rims that use presta valves, are
you now using tires that use higher pressure?

Switch to 2.5 inch 35 psi knobbies and you'll fill up with air only
once a summer

--
Mike Kruger
"When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl." -

Presta valves? [email protected] UK 10 December 14th 06 02:41 PM
Presta Valves Graham Mason UK 10 July 10th 06 08:35 AM
I need help with presta valves please! Paul Turner General 15 July 7th 05 01:14 PM
Presta valves Ben Australia 7 January 24th 05 07:05 AM
Presta Valves-WHY? Fx199 General 51 August 13th 04 06:22 PM