Sram Force Brake Blocks

Old July 9th 08, 09:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Drinky

Default Sram Force Brake Blocks

I have a SRAM Force on my bike with Reynolds Solitude wheels.

When braking with the front brake, it 'judders' - seeming to have
uneven braking grip at different parts of the rim and the pulsing of
the braking force makes the front forks bend backwards/forwards in an
alarming way. Braking with the rear brake is progressive and smooth.

I switched my solitude front wheel onto a friends bike with Ultegra
brakes/blocks and there was no pulsing and braking was progressive and
smooth. Also, rather surprisingly, braking with their front wheel in
my bike worked smoothly and progressively.

Therefore, there seems to be some braking issue with my set up that
might easily be solved by using Shimano brake blocks.

Does anyone happen to know if I can fit Shimano road (105/Ultegra/Dura
Ace) brake blocks into the SRAM brake cartridges or will I have to buy
a the Shimano cartridges and brake blocks?

Thanks,

Mark
Old July 9th 08, 09:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_3_]

Drinky said the following on 09/07/2008 09:39:

Therefore, there seems to be some braking issue with my set up that
might easily be solved by using Shimano brake blocks.

Does anyone happen to know if I can fit Shimano road (105/Ultegra/Dura
Ace) brake blocks into the SRAM brake cartridges or will I have to buy
a the Shimano cartridges and brake blocks?

No idea, but your description suggests to me that you may have
contamination on the rim. Before spending money, try giving the rims
and blocks a good clean and degrease. It may solve the problem at zero
cost.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old July 10th 08, 09:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
POHB

"Drinky" wrote
I switched my solitude front wheel onto a friends bike with Ultegra
brakes/blocks
Does anyone happen to know if I can fit Shimano road (105/Ultegra/Dura
Ace) brake blocks into the SRAM brake cartridges or will I have to buy
a the Shimano cartridges and brake blocks?

Why don't you ask your friend if you can borrow one of his blocks and see if
it fits?

Old July 10th 08, 11:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Drinky

No idea, but your description suggests to me that you may have
contamination on the rim. *Before spending money, try giving the rims
and blocks a good clean and degrease. *It may solve the problem at zero
cost.

I have already tried several methods to clean them. Both a scotch
washing pad and degreaser had no effect. Cif cream on the other hand
did ease the problem somewhat after a lot of rinsing - but it has
returned as a result of some very hard braking doing La Marmotte last
weekend.
Old July 10th 08, 12:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 03:06:18 -0700 (PDT)
Drinky wrote:

No idea, but your description suggests to me that you may have
contamination on the rim. Â*Before spending money, try giving the
rims and blocks a good clean and degrease. Â*It may solve the
problem at zero cost.

I have already tried several methods to clean them. Both a scotch
washing pad and degreaser had no effect. Cif cream on the other hand
did ease the problem somewhat after a lot of rinsing - but it has
returned as a result of some very hard braking doing La Marmotte last
weekend.

Is the toe-in right?

Old July 10th 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Peter Cole[_2_]

Drinky wrote:
[...]

It might be the wheel, a couple of others have reported similar
experiences at http://www.roadbikereview.com
Old July 12th 08, 10:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

Drinky wrote:
I have a SRAM Force on my bike with Reynolds Solitude wheels.

When braking with the front brake, it 'judders' - seeming to have
uneven braking grip at different parts of the rim and the pulsing of
the braking force makes the front forks bend backwards/forwards in an
alarming way. Braking with the rear brake is progressive and smooth.

I switched my solitude front wheel onto a friends bike with Ultegra
brakes/blocks and there was no pulsing and braking was progressive and
smooth. Also, rather surprisingly, braking with their front wheel in
my bike worked smoothly and progressively.

I think the SRAM pads are intended only for aluminum rims. Are your
rims made from CFRP?

\\paul

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.

Sram Force Brake Blocks Drinky Techniques 6 July 12th 08 10:11 AM
Brake blocks Doki UK 23 December 7th 07 09:59 AM
v-brake and canti brake blocks Peter UK 1 August 21st 06 01:51 AM
Brake Blocks Neil Smith General 7 February 18th 05 03:15 AM
Brake Blocks David Waters UK 12 June 10th 04 12:15 AM