Lebanon bike trail to open in October

Old August 7th 05, 03:36 PM
Garrison Hilliard

Default Lebanon bike trail to open in October

Lebanon bike trail to open in October
The 8-mile track provides direct link with Little Miami Scenic Trail

By Karen Vance
Enquirer contributor

LEBANON - The residents of Lebanon said they wanted a bike trail.

After 14 years of planning and building, working around the habitat of an
endangered bat and overcoming legal troubles, they'll have one.

The $2.7 million, eight-mile Lebanon Countryside trail is scheduled to open Oct.
1.

"We had a couple of hiccups along the way, but the trail is nearly complete,"
said Jason Millard, Lebanon city planner. "It's providing a direct link with the
Little Miami Scenic Trail, a regional trail network of 200 miles and eventually
a statewide trail network of 800 miles."

The trail, almost entirely within the city of Lebanon, stretches from the Little
Miami River north of Loveland into downtown Lebanon. It includes a rebuilt
1800s-era railway bridge over the Little Miami River.

The bridge and trail are critical pieces of the plan for the 84-mile Miami2Miami
trail, which would connect the Little Miami Scenic Trail and the Great Miami
River Path.

Officials say the new bike trail fills a need the community expressed as a
number one priority in an assessment conducted three years ago.

"We hope this will eventually blossom into additional recreation activities and
additional events," Millard said.

The trail received federal funding in 1991 as a project shepherded by Ralph J.
Stolle and the Countryside YMCA.

"It's something that was important to Ralph Stolle. It was his dream, and we're
excited to see it come to fruition," said Debra Phillips, financial development
and risk management director for Countryside YMCA.

But early legal troubles between the YMCA and the engineering firm, plus an
environmental review on the scale of an interstate highway project, led to
delays.

"Among other problems, this area is a refuge for the Indiana bat, an endangered
species," said Millard. "You have to be very careful not to disturb their
roosting trees."

Construction began last June. Work is complete except for safety fences and
signage.

And even though the city took over the project in 1997, the YMCA continues its
involvement. The trail runs adjacent to the YMCA's property and its nature
walking path.

"I think (the trail) is something that most families look to do together.
Everybody can bike or walk or run or skate," Phillips said. "It's right in line
with our mission. It's all about relationships and being able to stay fit -
body, mind and soul."

Martin Schickel, who owns the Loveland Bike and Skate Rental and operates
www.lovelandbiketrail.com, has seen an increase in traffic on the Little Miami
Scenic Trail in recent years and is excited to see the network expanding to
accommodate larger numbers.

"It not only increases traffic, but it also increases the choices and
opportunities for people to ride," he said. "Now you can go from Loveland to
Lebanon, two of our nicest and most historic towns, with a 16-mile bike ride in
between."

Schickel, who has previewed the trail, said it is geographically different than
much of the Little Miami Trail.

"It's a little more hilly, a little more curvy, and that creates interest and
beauty on the ride," he said.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...508070364/1056