Compact frame vs Traditional Frame geometry

Old August 30th 03, 02:18 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Default Compact frame vs Traditional Frame geometry

Tim- I don't know why so many are still attached to old headsets. I LOVE the
threadless design BRBR
And, while I did not
have to adjust it often, I hated having to use those huge wrenchs. BRBR

Ya did? Why they hurt yer little hands???

Sorry, using a couple of 32mm hs wrenches just isn't any big deal. Plus, I see
many HS killed cuz so many have a 5mm allen and are a gonna adjust the HS
themselves, by God...and end up killing something.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 30th 03, 04:00 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

Basically, the shorter the tubes, the stiffer the frame. And lighter,
quicker response due to the shorter wheelbase.

May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!
Chris

Chris'Z Corner
"The Website for the Common Bicyclist":
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old August 30th 03, 04:05 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet (Mike=A0S.) wrote:

There are a few of those female-type
racers around here too. I don't know how
it happens, but I get stuck behind them a
lot. Drafting them sucks!

Oh, I wouldn't necessarily say that. The view can be quite nice...

Old August 30th 03, 05:03 PM
Tim McTeague

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Ya did? Why they hurt yer little hands???

Sorry, using a couple of 32mm hs wrenches just isn't any big deal.
Plus, I see many HS killed cuz so many have a 5mm allen and are a
gonna adjust the HS themselves, by God...and end up killing something.

Yeah, like you carried a set on each bike ride. The newer design seems much
cleaner than the old. I'm sure many of us cursed the things when first
learning how to adjust the old style HS. Once you get the first nut just
right it gets thrown off when locking it in place with the 2nd. As headsets
got better, or at least the ones I moved up to, that was less of a problem
but still more fussy than threadless.

And, oh yes, they did hurt my daintly little hands ya Campy freak you. What
the heck are you talking about with the "deadly" allen wrench? At least you
managed to get through a post without slamming Shimano. Must be some kind
of a record.

Tim McTeague

Old August 30th 03, 10:41 PM
Mike S.

"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" wrote in message
mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet (Mike S.) wrote:

There are a few of those female-type
racers around here too. I don't know how
it happens, but I get stuck behind them a
lot. Drafting them sucks!

Oh, I wouldn't necessarily say that. The view can be quite nice...

I had a trio of good-looking women towing me across La Costa today. Wasn't
complaining at all!

Mike

Old August 31st 03, 04:15 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 06:29:29 +0000, Tim McTeague wrote:

David L. Johnson wrote:

On the other hand, you see a great many custom builders going to
sloping top tubes to deal with the limited height adjustability
afforded by threadless headsets and carbon steerers.

One bad technology driving another.

I don't know why so many are still attached to old headsets. I LOVE the
threadless design. Yes, I miss the easy adjustability of quill stems

Enough for me, there. A minor spill -- pushes your bars out of alignment,
then you have to re-adjust the headset?

And, while I did not
have to adjust it often, I hated having to use those huge wrenchs. More
than once over the years my headset became lose on a ride and I had to
keep trying to tighten it with my hands, as who carries the proper tools
for that?

My headset has been quietly doing its job for two years. No adjustment.
Meanwhile, I move the bars to accomodate my aging back, no trouble, and to
re-align after falling in the rain.

Threadless can be adjusted with just about any mini-tool.
Alligning the stem does not require me to "pound" the center bolt to free
the wedge as with quills.

"Pound"?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can
_`\(,_ | assure you that mine are all greater. -- A. Einstein
(_)/ (_) |

Old August 31st 03, 04:17 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 11:00:02 -0400, Chris Zacho "The Wheelman" wrote:

Basically, the shorter the tubes, the stiffer the frame.

Not for the same size frame.

*And lighter,
quicker response due to the shorter wheelbase.

What shorter wheelbase?* Just because the bike _looks_ too small does not
mean the wheelbase is any shorter than any other bike. And what makes you
think that the wheelbase makes the response quicker?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You
_`\(,_ | soon find out the pig likes it!
(_)/ (_) |

Old August 31st 03, 06:09 AM
Mike S.

I had a trio of good-looking women towing me across La Costa today.
Wasn't
complaining at all!

So why was I riding in rocks & dirt in Santee?!?

Bill "guess my invitation got lost in the e-mail" S.

There's always a standing invitation to ride SDBC. Other than the Tri
Club's group rides, its where the most females hang out.

Mike

Old August 31st 03, 06:14 AM
Mike S.

David L. Johnson wrote:

On the other hand, you see a great many custom builders going to
sloping top tubes to deal with the limited height adjustability
afforded by threadless headsets and carbon steerers.

One bad technology driving another.

I don't know why so many are still attached to old headsets. I LOVE the
threadless design. Yes, I miss the easy adjustability of quill stems

Enough for me, there. A minor spill -- pushes your bars out of alignment,
then you have to re-adjust the headset?

Chances are a crash merely turns your bars, it hasn't done anything to the
adjustment of your HS.

One of the nicest features of going T-less in the early days was that they
were sealed bearings vs. Shimano/Campy's loose balls (or you could run a
Tri-Lock). That meant fewer adjustments, less chance of ruining a HS
because you overtightened the cups, etc. Now that Shimano has gone sealed
in their HS design, there's less of a "need" for T-less.

Funny thing is: now its Shimano that's "old fashioned" for not offering a
T-less HS.

Mike

Old August 31st 03, 07:05 AM
Sorni

"Mike S." mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet wrote in message
I had a trio of good-looking women towing me across La Costa today.

Wasn't
complaining at all!

So why was I riding in rocks & dirt in Santee?!?

Bill "guess my invitation got lost in the e-mail" S.

There's always a standing invitation to ride SDBC. Other than the Tri
Club's group rides, its where the most females hang out.

Ah, SDBC. I'm a newbie roadie, so need to make their "intro" ride some
Saturday.

Bill "never tried tri" S.

Compact frame sizeing TG General 10 June 30th 04 06:45 AM
handlebar height n crowley General 35 April 19th 04 07:12 PM
Compact Geometry and Long Distance Jason T Techniques 15 August 7th 03 12:44 AM
SuperGo Weyless Ultra frame recall Slash Mountain Biking 2 August 1st 03 05:16 PM
Merits of compact geometry frames vs "classic" geometry??? ari Techniques 8 July 17th 03 03:40 AM