Problem with new Shimano Cassette sticky freewheel action

Old May 2nd 05, 12:10 PM
Wayne

Default Problem with new Shimano Cassette sticky freewheel action

Hi,
I recently overhauled the drive train on my bike, fitting a new Shimano
Cassette, New Chain and new chain rings. Sometimes when I stop pedalling
the the ratchet or freewheel doesn't immediately work on the cassette so
the chain goes slack between the top of the cassette and the chain ring
to the point it lands on the wheel stay, the chain on the underside
eventually becomes so short that the freewheel kicks in and starts
revolving properly. I've ridden about 80 odd miles now hoping it would
free up but it hasn't. Is it possible that I've overtightened the
locking ring on the cassette or am I just unlucky and have a duff one?

It's a Shimano 9sp Deore cassette.

Thanks,

Wayne.

Old May 2nd 05, 02:03 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Wayne wrote:
[...]

Take the hub apart, remove the freehub body, turn it over, remove the
rubber seal, flush and lube with oil, not grease. I use Mobil One

Old May 2nd 05, 03:56 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Wayne" wrote in message
Hi,
I recently overhauled the drive train on my bike, fitting a new Shimano
Cassette, New Chain and new chain rings. Sometimes when I stop pedalling
the the ratchet or freewheel doesn't immediately work on the cassette so
the chain goes slack between the top of the cassette and the chain ring
to the point it lands on the wheel stay, the chain on the underside
eventually becomes so short that the freewheel kicks in and starts
revolving properly. I've ridden about 80 odd miles now hoping it would
free up but it hasn't. Is it possible that I've overtightened the
locking ring on the cassette or am I just unlucky and have a duff one?

It's a Shimano 9sp Deore cassette.

Hey Wayne,
Does this only happen on the smallest cogs of the cassette? The inertia of
a heavy cassette will keep it rotating if you're pedaling a high cadence and
suddenly stop, and the rear derailleur cage doesn't have enough tension to
resist that inertia.

An overtightened lockring can't cause this issue... all that is supposed to
be rigid anyways. The freehub on the inner diameter of the cassette is what
makes it all work.

If it's "sticky" sticky though, Peter's suggestion's the way to go.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old May 2nd 05, 04:40 PM
Art Harris

Wayne wrote:

I recently overhauled the drive train on my bike, fitting a new

Shimano
Cassette, New Chain and new chain rings. Sometimes when I stop

pedalling
the the ratchet or freewheel doesn't immediately work on the cassette

so
the chain goes slack between the top of the cassette and the chain

ring

Did this start happening right after you replaced those items? If so,
it seems like something must have changed. Are you sure the chain is
routed correctly and the same length as the old one?

If it happened gradually over time, then it's likely the freehub
mechanism is gunked up.

Art Harris

Old May 2nd 05, 05:35 PM
Marvin

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
"Wayne" wrote in message
[...]

I've been seeing this a lot lately on new bikes, I'd assumed it was
too-sticky grease in the freehub bearings and have been leaving it to
run in. Interesting that the OP has found it without changing the
freehub though. It also happened with a 11-34 7sp freewheel
(non-cassette) so I was assuming it to be Shimano grease combined with
a very small sprocket.

I hadn't considered the inertia thing, but ISTR you can reproduce it by
spinning the wheel up to speed in the 11-tooth sprocket, leaving it to
freewheel then backpedalling gently, which does suggest it's not
entirely inertia. I'll have a poke at one tomorrow and see if I can
deduce anything.

For the original problem, I think flushing the freehub grease out with
oil is indeed your best bet.

Old May 3rd 05, 07:25 AM
A Muzi

Wayne wrote:

Hi,
I recently overhauled the drive train on my bike, fitting a new Shimano
Cassette, New Chain and new chain rings. Sometimes when I stop pedalling
the the ratchet or freewheel doesn't immediately work on the cassette so
the chain goes slack between the top of the cassette and the chain ring
to the point it lands on the wheel stay, the chain on the underside
eventually becomes so short that the freewheel kicks in and starts
revolving properly. I've ridden about 80 odd miles now hoping it would
free up but it hasn't. Is it possible that I've overtightened the
locking ring on the cassette or am I just unlucky and have a duff one?

It's a Shimano 9sp Deore cassette.

Do you have a plastic plate between the cassette and the
spokes? Those can drag against the low gear on your cassette

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old May 3rd 05, 05:25 PM
Wayne

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 06:56 -0700, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
A Muzi wrote:
Do you have a plastic plate between the cassette and the
spokes? Those can drag against the low gear on your cassette

Hi,
Yes there is a plate I'll check this out, thanks.

Wayne.

Old May 3rd 05, 05:27 PM
Wayne

A Muzi wrote:
Do you have a plastic plate between the cassette and the
spokes? Those can drag against the low gear on your cassette

Hi,
Yes there is a plastic plate, I'll check this for clearance, thanks.

Wayne.

Old May 3rd 05, 05:28 PM
Wayne

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 16:35 +0000, Marvin wrote:
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
I've been seeing this a lot lately on new bikes, I'd assumed it was
too-sticky grease in the freehub bearings and have been leaving it to
run in. Interesting that the OP has found it without changing the
freehub though. It also happened with a 11-34 7sp freewheel
(non-cassette) so I was assuming it to be Shimano grease combined with
a very small sprocket.

I hadn't considered the inertia thing, but ISTR you can reproduce it by
spinning the wheel up to speed in the 11-tooth sprocket, leaving it to
freewheel then backpedalling gently, which does suggest it's not
entirely inertia. I'll have a poke at one tomorrow and see if I can
deduce anything.

For the original problem, I think flushing the freehub grease out with
oil is indeed your best bet.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll check the plastic plate first then move
onto this solution.

Regards
Wayne.