Carbon parts: to grease or not to grease???

Old May 26th 04, 10:45 AM
ccrider

Default Carbon parts: to grease or not to grease???

Hello people,
I'm building up a Bianchi scandium frame, and I'm going to use some carbon components for the first time. My question is this:

Do you grease a carbon seatpost? What about the carbon steerer on th
fork, should I put a tiny bit of grease on that before I clamp the ste
(a TTT forgie XL) to it? And if I use carbon bars, should I grease th
collar aswell? I use synthetic white lithium grease

I was shopping for parts in a local retailer the other day and I spotte
a label on a Specialized carbon seatpost that said "Do not grease"
After asking a local mechanic about this, he said he puts atleast a tin
bit of grease on any carbon part. He said he once didn't put grease on
carbon seatpost, and it went in easily during installation. But when i
came time to remove it a some time later, he had to really muscle it t
get it out. So because of that experience he said he always puts atleas
a light film of grease on carbon parts

Maybe manufacturers don't want certain greases used on carbon stuf
because it will deteriorate the coating over time? Have any of you hear
of a carbon part being ruined because of grease? And have you found tha
ungreased carbon parts prone to creaking

Any advise is appreciated

CCride

-

Old May 26th 04, 12:13 PM
Callistus Valerius

Maybe manufacturers don't want certain greases used on carbon stuff
because it will deteriorate the coating over time? Have any of you heard
of a carbon part being ruined because of grease? And have you found that
ungreased carbon parts prone to creaking?

Any advise is appreciated.

CCrider

DON't put grease on carbon seatpost. Did put some on mine, and it took some
really husky kids at the LBS to get it out. The grease turns into some kind
of glue as it reacts with the outer finish of the carbon seatpost.

Old May 26th 04, 12:32 PM
Bruni

So what to use? greasless produces the same stuck result (you dan't want to
see my alien) . Anti seize? Beeswax, Grant fans? Silicones? Will the
chemists amongst us help us know what's up. Please.
Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"
ink.net...

Old May 26th 04, 01:40 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

ccrider- I'm building up a Bianchi scandium frame BRBR
Do you grease a carbon seatpost? What about the carbon steerer on the
fork BRBR

yes and no-

ccrider- And if I use carbon bars, should I grease the
collar aswell? I use synthetic white lithium grease. BRBR

Nope, just the faceplate bolts, use a torque wrench.

Don't grease a carbon seatpost on a carbon frameset, that has a carbon seatpost
insert.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old May 26th 04, 01:51 PM
Ronald

So what to use? greasless produces the same stuck result (you dan't
want to
see my alien) . Anti seize? Beeswax, Grant fans? Silicones? Will the
chemists amongst us help us know what's up. Please.

Maybe some Vaseline?

Old May 26th 04, 02:12 PM
Arthur Clune

Bruni wrote:
: So what to use? greasless produces the same stuck result (you dan't want to
: see my alien) . Anti seize? Beeswax, Grant fans? Silicones? Will the
: chemists amongst us help us know what's up. Please.

Don't use a carbon seatpost is the (expensive) conclusion I came to.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook
Old May 26th 04, 03:28 PM
TheYvid

ccrider wrote:
Do you grease a carbon seatpost? What about the carbon steerer on the
fork, should I put a tiny bit of grease on that before I clamp the stem
(a TTT forgie XL) to it? And if I use carbon bars, should I grease the
collar aswell? I use synthetic white lithium grease.

E.g. EASTON says not to grease a carbon seatpost, in order not
to overtigthen the clamp, which may lead to cracking a seatpost
(i.e. not greased doesn't need that much clamping force).

Greetz
TheYvid

--
....because some speed is good, more is better, and too much is just enough...
Old May 26th 04, 10:36 PM
Henry Morgan

On 26 May 2004 12:40:45 GMT, (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

ccrider- I'm building up a Bianchi scandium frame BRBR
Do you grease a carbon seatpost? What about the carbon steerer on the
fork BRBR

yes and no-

ccrider- And if I use carbon bars, should I grease the
collar aswell? I use synthetic white lithium grease. BRBR

Nope, just the faceplate bolts, use a torque wrench.

Don't grease a carbon seatpost on a carbon frameset, that has a carbon seatpost
insert.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

What types of frame materials are showing the most reaction with a
carbon post?
Both my Ti frames have carbon posts and I worry.
My routine so far includes removal of the post every few weeks,
cleaning it and the inside of the frame tube thoroughly, then
reinstalling. As of yet, I haven't had a stuck carbon post. I also
completely disassemble both my bikes during the winter months for a
complete cleaning and inspection.
Old May 27th 04, 11:56 AM
Ronald

My routine so far includes removal of the post every few weeks,
cleaning it and the inside of the frame tube thoroughly, then
reinstalling. As of yet, I haven't had a stuck carbon post.

Wow, you go to all that trouble just to ride a carbon post?

Old May 27th 04, 11:39 PM
Henry Morgan

On Thu, 27 May 2004 12:56:11 +0200, "Ronald"
wrote:

My routine so far includes removal of the post every few weeks,
cleaning it and the inside of the frame tube thoroughly, then
reinstalling. As of yet, I haven't had a stuck carbon post.

Wow, you go to all that trouble just to ride a carbon post?

It only takes a few minutes. I used to do the same with aluminum posts
in steel as well and frequentlt cleaned corrosion, even with them
lubed slightly.