Request for advice please

Old February 28th 04, 04:28 PM
The Rifleman

Default Request for advice please

Hi Folks, I have a friend who is going on a 250 mile sponsored cycle ride
along the nile in Egypt, can you folks advise of suitable kit, clothing,
tools, extras, hints etc that may make her adventure a safe and pleasant
one.

I myself was thinking about a water filter straw, micro tool kit, camel bac
water bottle system, personal medical kit, personal dental kit etc etc. I am
fairly well experienced in survival techniques for European environments but
I must admit I know little about cycling in desert conditions.

Can you folks advise on the above and also suggest any useful reading
material and perhaps any sponsers we can find as the ride to to raise funds
for a medical system.

Regards to all on UK Rec Cycling

Steve

Old February 28th 04, 06:40 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Hi Folks, I have a friend who is going on a 250 mile sponsored cycle ride
along the nile in Egypt, can you folks advise of suitable kit, clothing,
tools, extras, hints etc that may make her adventure a safe and pleasant
one.

Well, the cyclist author, Josie Dew, has a list of all the equipment she takes
with her when she's off one one of her long jaunts around the world - so having
a peek at that could be useful. She's been doing it a long time, so she should
know what she's doing by now

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old February 28th 04, 08:34 PM
Doki

"The Rifleman" wrote in message
Hi Folks, I have a friend who is going on a 250 mile sponsored cycle ride
along the nile in Egypt, can you folks advise of suitable kit, clothing,
tools, extras, hints etc that may make her adventure a safe and pleasant
one.

I myself was thinking about a water filter straw, micro tool kit, camel

bac
water bottle system, personal medical kit, personal dental kit etc etc. I

am
fairly well experienced in survival techniques for European environments

but
I must admit I know little about cycling in desert conditions.

What's a water filter straw? I'd get hold of some water purifying tablets
from the army surplus too. I'd also be quite tempted to take a load of army
instant tea to stop myself getting tea withdrawal symptoms .

Old February 28th 04, 08:45 PM
The Rifleman

What's a water filter straw? I'd get hold of some water purifying tablets
from the army surplus too. I'd also be quite tempted to take a load of

army
instant tea to stop myself getting tea withdrawal symptoms .

a water filter straw is exactly that its a tube about as long as a

dtrinking straw but a bit thicker it has IIRC an activated charcoal and
silver filter media that kills just about everything nasty you can get, its
like a Katadyn that got shrunk, she will need puritabs to treat the water in
her Camel Bac water system but when she is not riding she can safely drink
untreated water using the straw

Old February 28th 04, 09:25 PM
nobody760

Have a look at this site it contains accounts of rides all over the world
and I am sure you will find something to help you there.

http://www.swb.de/personal/elch/e_tours.html

Old February 29th 04, 03:48 AM
Mark Thompson

I'd also be quite tempted to take a load of army
instant tea to stop myself getting tea withdrawal symptoms .

Please don't - it really isn't tea (and have you tasted their squash? - yeauch!)
Fortunately the coffee is so loaded with caffeine one doesn't mind the taste.
The biggest gripe I had was the biscuits - I could never remember which one was
meant to stop you going, and which started you off again!

Old February 29th 04, 08:36 AM
mark

"The Rifleman" wrote ...
[...]

Instead of (or in addition to) the water filter straw I would suggest a pump
type water purifier such as the the Katadyn or PUR. One of these cold be
shared by two or more people to reduce weight. Advantage of the purifier is
that one can fill several water containers fairly quickly, either for
cooking / washing up or to carry as drinking water for the next few hours.
Purification tablets take a while to take effect, which is annoying at best,
and straws are a fairly slow way of quenching one's thirst. Many purifiers
have long enough intake hoses that they can be used to pump water up from
spots that would otherwise be difficult to reach.
--
mark

Old February 29th 04, 10:11 AM
Tony Raven

"mark" wrote in message
k.net...

Instead of (or in addition to) the water filter straw I would suggest a pump
type water purifier such as the the Katadyn or PUR.

Never mind the filters, just pack the Imodium ;-)

Tony

Old February 29th 04, 10:12 AM
The Rifleman

"Mark Thompson" (change warm for hot)
wrote in message ...
I'd also be quite tempted to take a load of army
instant tea to stop myself getting tea withdrawal symptoms .

Please don't - it really isn't tea (and have you tasted their squash? -

yeauch!)
Fortunately the coffee is so loaded with caffeine one doesn't mind the

taste.
The biggest gripe I had was the biscuits - I could never remember which

one was
meant to stop you going, and which started you off again!

Fruit ABs to get you going, Biscuits plain to clog you up.

Old February 29th 04, 10:16 AM
The Rifleman

Instead of (or in addition to) the water filter straw I would suggest a

pump
type water purifier such as the the Katadyn or PUR. One of these cold be
shared by two or more people to reduce weight. Advantage of the purifier

is
that one can fill several water containers fairly quickly, either for
cooking / washing up or to carry as drinking water for the next few hours.
Purification tablets take a while to take effect, which is annoying at

best,
and straws are a fairly slow way of quenching one's thirst. Many purifiers
have long enough intake hoses that they can be used to pump water up from
spots that would otherwise be difficult to reach.
--
mark

Agree, that makes perfect sense, there are 100 riders going as far as I am

aware, most of whom have never met before, but the Kat filter would make
more sense if shared.
Regards Steve