what does SWAG mean??

Old June 13th 04, 06:35 PM
Bill B

Default what does SWAG mean??

Probably a Duh question and after as many rides with SWAG support that
I have been on I admit I do not know what SWAG stands for.
Bill B
Old June 13th 04, 06:47 PM
skip

"Bill B" wrote in message
om...
Probably a Duh question and after as many rides with SWAG support that
I have been on I admit I do not know what SWAG stands for.
Bill B

SWAG = Scientific Wild Ass Guess

I think you mean SAG support - transportation for those riders who are
sagging behind - or literally drooping from weariness.

skip

Old June 13th 04, 07:26 PM

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:47:15 -0500, "skip"
wrote:

"Bill B" wrote in message
. com...
Probably a Duh question and after as many rides with SWAG support that
I have been on I admit I do not know what SWAG stands for.
Bill B

SWAG = Scientific Wild Ass Guess

I think you mean SAG support - transportation for those riders who are
sagging behind - or literally drooping from weariness.

skip

SAG specifically stands for either "Support And Gear" or "Safety And
Gear" depending on who you talk to. It's a term used on rides
generally sponsored or supported by a group of individuals or clubs
who use their time and motor vehicles to help the riders during the
ride. A greatly under-rated bunch, I might add.

Landonman

Old June 14th 04, 03:57 AM
Bill B

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message ...
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:26:36 GMT, wrote in
message :

SAG specifically stands for either "Support And Gear" or "Safety And
Gear" depending on who you talk to.

Or indeed nothing, depending on who you talk to. As far as I know
these are both backronyms, certainly the term was used uncapitalised
by my club years before I ever heard any suggestion that it might be
acronymic.

The sag-wagon existed for those who got the sag, being the British
version of the bonk (bonk means - ahem - something different in
Britain). Knowing of the existence of the verb "to sag" makes any
search for further meaning unlikely, of course.

I think both Landon and Guy have got it right. The main problem is that
those doing the support themselves are not sure what it means, and so the
confusion goes on forever.

But it is nice when ARBR can solve these peccadilloes like this.

Thanks Ed,Guy,Dolan and Skip. Leave it to me to mis-spell Sag. The MS
150 ride I did in 2000 was the best sag I have encountered. I
personally did not need the services of the sag wagon but I did
appreciate the drivers slowing down as they drove by asking if I was
allright. Most of this ride was in the Hot and humid Mississippi Delta
with a steady headwind. Lots of riders were dropping like Flies. Well
into the ride I noticed that every time a sag truck passed by it would
have a load of bikes piled up in the bed with the riders crammed in
the cab.
Bill
Old June 15th 04, 09:50 AM
Dave Larrington

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

The sag-wagon existed for those who got the sag, being the British
version of the bonk (bonk means - ahem - something different in
Britain). Knowing of the existence of the verb "to sag" makes any
search for further meaning unlikely, of course.

Up to a point, Lord Copper. British cyclists had /that/ kind of bonk long
before the word was appropriated by tabloid FLJS. I am informed that they
chose this particular word as it is "knob" spelled backwards, but this is
very likely untrue, given the habits of tabloid FLJS.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old June 15th 04, 09:17 PM
dvt

john riley wrote:
There is such a thing as SWAG. It is the free stuff you get at trade
shows and promotions. No idea where the word comes from, or if I am
spelling _that _ right.

Schwag is the word. See http://www.cyclo-x.com/schwag.html for a definition.

--
Dave