Looking for saddle similar to Selle Italia SLK

Old March 7th 05, 06:22 PM
Brian Ray

Default Looking for saddle similar to Selle Italia SLK

This would be my perfect saddle if it were not for its very thin leather. I
pedal a bit "knee-in", and this splits the leather at the side of the nose
after around 4000 miles. My old Flite saddles went 10000 miles with visible
abrasions at the nose but no splits in the leather.

It's difficult to tell from manufacturer pictures and descriptions how well
the saddle cover does against abrasion. So I'm shopping for recommendations.
Relatively narrow saddle, split- or center channel-design, minimal padding,
and a saddle cover tougher than rice paper.

Thanks,

Brian Ray

Old March 8th 05, 02:19 PM
Qui Si Parla Campagnolo

Brian Ray wrote:
This would be my perfect saddle if it were not for its very thin leather. I
pedal a bit "knee-in", and this splits the leather at the side of the nose
after around 4000 miles. My old Flite saddles went 10000 miles with visible
abrasions at the nose but no splits in the leather.

It's difficult to tell from manufacturer pictures and descriptions how well
the saddle cover does against abrasion. So I'm shopping for recommendations.
Relatively narrow saddle, split- or center channel-design, minimal padding,
and a saddle cover tougher than rice paper.

Thanks,

Brian Ray

Why not a Flite then? Still available.
Old March 8th 05, 07:56 PM
Brian Ray

"Qui Si Parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
news:1110291123.04db6cd0911155645e26437bea5663b0@t eranews...
Brian Ray wrote:
This would be my perfect saddle if it were not for its very thin

leather. I
[...]

Why not a Flite then? Still available.

Really like the split/center channel on the SLK, no more numbness. In terms
of comfort the SLK's a 10 for me.

Hmmm, okay, returning to Selle Italia's web site ... Ok, they've got a Flite
Gel Flow model with a center channel. Missed that the first time I looked. A
gel saddle might be more cushion than I'm looking for, but there's no
telling until I see one in person. I'll pay a visit to my LBS.

Thanks,

Brian Ray

Old March 9th 05, 03:38 PM
Ronald van Tol

Hmmm, okay, returning to Selle Italia's web site ... Ok, they've got
a Flite
Gel Flow model with a center channel. Missed that the first time I

looked. A
gel saddle might be more cushion than I'm looking for, but there's

no
telling until I see one in person. I'll pay a visit to my LBS.

I have two of them, also two Max versions (bit wider and more
suspension).
Also bought them to get rid of numbness. They're very nice saddles,
you
hardly notice the gel, they feel like a regular saddle with excellent
quality in
leather and stitching.

Old March 9th 05, 07:35 PM
Brian Ray

"Ronald van Tol" wrote in message
l...
[...]
I have two of them, also two Max versions (bit wider and more
suspension).
Also bought them to get rid of numbness. They're very nice saddles,
you
hardly notice the gel, they feel like a regular saddle with excellent
quality in
leather and stitching.

Thanks for the mini-review Ronald. When I see a gel saddle, I worry that it
is a soft saddle, which ultimately makes my sit area less comfortable than a
harder saddle. This dispels my worry.

On a note related to my original post, I took a close look at my plain old
(no cutout) Flite, and compared it to my SLK. The first inch or two of the
Flite's nose drops quite a bit lower than the SLK's nose. The split in the
SLK's cover always occurs on the bottom edge of the nose, so I suspect my
inner thigh rubs across the Flite's larger contact point and mitigates the
abrasion somewhat. Something to consider for knees-in riders looking to try
the SLK.

Brian Ray