I received a traffic citation tonight.

Old November 1st 03, 11:55 PM
Scott Munro

Default I received a traffic citation tonight.

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:53:51 -0600, "dlakey"
wrote:

[snip]

Should I fight the ticket?

Yes.

Drag the officious SOB into court and let the judge read him the riot
act. A cop does not have the power to order you to do just anything
that comes into his tiny mind.

You should also file a complaint against him with the police
department.

--
Conservatism is the ideology of reality.
Old November 2nd 03, 12:34 AM
Pat

A "Franks" hearing is one where the State must show how a specific act

meets
all the elements of the offense. It's not the same as a prelim or a trial.

I'd
guess that such a hearing on a case as simple as the one described would

take
about 20 minutes of the Court's time. Additionally, such hearings usually
require the filing of written briefs. I've yet to meet any prosecutor that
would be:
A- willing to risk a judge's ire for wasting the Court's time by answering
ready for such a hearing knowing the probable outcome and/or
B- willing to invest two or more hours writing a brief trying to make a

silk
purse from a sow's ear.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Thanks, Bob. I learned something today.

Pat in TX

Old November 2nd 03, 06:25 AM
loki

"dlakey" wrote in message
Hello fellow bikers.

I had a most interesting experience tonight. I was commuting home from

work.
[...]
Should I fight the ticket?

Everyone else has given their opinion. I'd fight it but then I'm an ornery
cuss.
If you do decide to fight it; please post how it all turned out.

--
'Sell your sin
Just cash in' -Jewell

Old November 2nd 03, 09:48 AM
Walter

You can fight it if you want, most people will tell you to here,
because they don't have to take off work to go hassle with it.

Personally I would fight it. If for no other reason than you will meet
up with this same cop again on the road, and he will deliver the same
nonsense as he did before.

First rule, don't argue with a cop. Most, especially young ones are
unsure of themselves and have been taught they have to be in control
100 percent of the time.

By arguing with a cop, even if you are keeping a civil tone, they
perceive this as decent and decent leads to revolt, and revolt to
anarchy.

I've seen cops arrest someone and their friend asks the cop, "Hey why
are you arresting bob?" and the cop says to the other cop, "arrest him
too!" For no good reason, and they get to spend the weekend in jail
until the judge shows up on Monday to post bail.

I've seen other cops take a blackjack and crack the person questioning
the cop in the head for a similar situation described above.

The best way to handle a cop is to treat them a little like you would
a drill instructor. That's the way they see themselves.

I would suggest that in a similar situation, you tell the cop that you
had read the rules of the road and thought you had understood them
correctly, but would like the police officer for his/her advice in how
to correct any misunderstandings you have about what you have read.

That's a very easy way to say the same thing, except not **** them off
in the process.

The last thing a cop wants is to be dragged into court on their day
off, and have a judge laugh and then scold them for being a legal
idiot.

So, yes I would fight it.

Good luck.
Old November 2nd 03, 09:54 AM
Walter

Riding on the sidewalk is illegal (unless you are 5 years old or
something). Even the most retarded cop would know that.

So there must be something you are not telling. He didnt bust you for
not riding on the sidewalk.

did you notice he mentioned this was Arkansas?

If you are from a big city with a big city budget, the most of the
cops you run into go to an academy.

out in sticksville, some are just basically one step away from a
security guard.
Old November 2nd 03, 09:58 AM
Walter

You don't need to waste money on an attorney, just photo copy the
statue and rules of road, so you can present the evidence to the
judge.

in a small town you may have to be ready for an appeal, at that point
you may want to hire an attorney.
Old November 2nd 03, 10:01 AM
Walter

Zippy the Pinhead wrote in message ws.com...
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:30:39 GMT, 223rem wrote:

dlakey wrote:
Hello fellow bikers.

[...]

Sorry, I find your story impossible to believe.

Yes. Besides, you should always do what the nice policeman says.

yes you should, until your day in court where the judge makes an ass out of the cop.
Old November 2nd 03, 10:06 AM
Walter

And look into having the officer cited for illegal harrassment.

this is pigsknuckle arkansas, not LA..

there are a different set of rules out in flyover country. You can do
that **** in LA or Portland and never see the guy again. Out here he
lives across the street from you, his kids play with your kids, his
wife is your wifes boss, etc..

He should take the ticket to court and let the judge scold him for
being an idiot.