Squirrels

Old February 4th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Squirrels

From wreck.bike.de:

http://bike.jinbo.net/down/board/album/Squirell3.jpg

Good looking fork and spokes. A good reason to not ride paired spokes
with openings for critters to jump through.

Jobst Brandt
Old February 4th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

More pix:

http://tinyurl.com/b7of2

Jobst Brandt
Old February 4th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 04 Feb 2006 12:50:04 GMT, wrote:

More pix:

http://tinyurl.com/b7of2

Ah, yes, an excerpt from that previous squirrel thread. The right
fork tube bent, the left tore nearly through instead.

The posited rationale for avoidance of paired-spoke large-gap wheels
might not be sufficiently strong to persuade the fashion-driven buyer
by itself. Even when taken with the rest of the arguments against
them, I have my doubts about whether it will have any effect. The
mere fact that manufacturers like Trek have put such wheels on so much
of their line (and some shops would probably charge extra to swap to a
cheaper but more rationally-designed wheel) makes it likely, in my
opinion, that many buyers are going to regard all such objections as
mere alarmist finger-pointing. I'm sure that they would be wont to
say "But what's the likelihood of this happening?" And, in point of
fact, the likelihood of getting squirrel-spiked is very low. The
facts which demonstrate that they're simply not a good idea to begin
with ought to comprise the more relevant consideration, and they're
already being ignored widely. It would be perfectly consistent for
any additional minor objections to be dismissed as well.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old February 4th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jobst Brandt wrote:
From wreck.bike.de:

http://bike.jinbo.net/down/board/album/Squirell3.jpg

Good looking fork and spokes. A good reason to not ride paired spokes
with openings for critters to jump through.

Bike with squirrel proof wheel covers:
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/EdGinCobra1.jpg.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old February 4th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Bike with squirrel proof wheel covers:
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/EdGinCobra1.jpg.

That chainring isn't squirrel proof though.

"Johnny Sunset" wrote in message oups.com...

From wreck.bike.de:

Old February 4th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Good looking fork and spokes. A good reason to not ride paired spokes
with openings for critters to jump through.

It's easy to avoid, just get one of these:
http://www.turbospoke.com

From wreck.bike.de:

Old February 4th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
From wreck.bike.de:

http://bike.jinbo.net/down/board/album/Squirell3.jpg

Good looking fork and spokes. A good reason to not ride paired spokes
with openings for critters to jump through.

Jobst Brandt

Heh, are the forks covered by Trek's lifetime warranty?

But on a more serious note, is it my imagination, or is the squirrel
caught in the _narrow_ part between spokes on that wheel? Please look
at the photos real carefully. If so, I doubt if more traditional 32
spoke wheels would have helped.

Old February 4th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote in message
From wreck.bike.de:

http://bike.jinbo.net/down/board/album/Squirell3.jpg

Good looking fork and spokes. A good reason to not ride paired spokes
with openings for critters to jump through.

Jobst Brandt

This squirrel may not be enjoying his corporeal form any longer but he sure
is doing well as a meme. Hasn't everyone seen this one by now? Let the
tree rat rest in peace!

Cal

Old February 4th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"damyth" writes:

But on a more serious note, is it my imagination, or is the squirrel
caught in the _narrow_ part between spokes on that wheel? Please look
at the photos real carefully. If so, I doubt if more traditional 32
spoke wheels would have helped.

Yeah, that's the real reason to avoid these wheels---the daredevil
squirrels learned to dive through normal wheels, where there is room
to pass through the spokes. Now they get hung up on the narrow
sections of paired spokes wheels 8-).

Joe
Old February 4th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Johnny Sunset wrote:
Jobst Brandt wrote:
From wreck.bike.de:

http://bike.jinbo.net/down/board/album/Squirell3.jpg

Good looking fork and spokes. A good reason to not ride paired
spokes with openings for critters to jump through.

Bike with squirrel proof wheel covers:
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/EdGinCobra1.jpg.

Where's the cup-holder on that thing?

The Killer Squirrels Have Started An Insurgency - Mike Jacoubowsky Warned Us! [email protected] General 16 February 17th 06 07:00 PM
The Killer Squirrels Have Started An Insurgency - Mike Jacoubowsky Warned Us! [email protected] Techniques 15 February 17th 06 07:00 PM
Squirrels again Andrew Lee Techniques 24 December 20th 05 04:44 PM
Don't mess with squirrels ellis Techniques 141 November 26th 05 08:58 PM
Man eating squirrels wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX UK 10 October 3rd 03 06:43 PM