Question From A Newbie

Old December 15th 06, 08:43 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JKimmel

Default Low-End Bikes

Bassetdad wrote:
My past three uprights have been upper end Cannodale bicycles, which I
really enjoy riding. Due to an ongoing medical problem, riding a recumbent
may be a better choice of transportation for me.

After several back operations caused by degenerative disc disease, I am now
facing the inescapable fact that I need to have rod and screws install in my
back in the very near future. I am now restricted to riding flat bike paths
at 10-14-mph on my upright. I still enjoy riding 40-60 miles, but it has to
be fairly level ground. I am attempting to do my homework and purchase a new
or possibly a used recumbent trike and stay within my $1500-$1800 budget.

You could buy a used bike. My two used Vision R-40's together were $1450.
--
J Kimmel

www.metalinnovations.com

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.
Old December 15th 06, 10:02 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Zebee Johnstone

In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:44:08 -0600
DougC wrote:

A lot of shorter people who test-rode my 20/26 SWB did not like it
because of the long leg-reach to ground. If that bothers you as well,
then (for a very-reclined bike set low to the ground) you are left with
low- and mediumracers (like Challenge Jester and Hurricane) and tadpole
trikes.

I note that I have a 20/26 Bacchetta Giro, and am 5'2" on a good day.

I have no problem at all reaching the ground. So trying a bike is
important, this seems to be very individual.

THe Giro seems to work with a variety of seat angles, I must measure
mine one day....

Zebee

Old December 16th 06, 02:37 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Default Question From A Newbie

wrote in message
oups.com...

On Dec 14, 1:09 pm, "Bassetdad" wrote:
Being totally new to the recumbent world, I am attempting to do my
homework
before I purchase a recumbent.

Are Sun bicycles the bottom feeders of the recumbent world?

They are "entry-level", but not at all like a WalMart bike. More like
a Giant Yukon, or similar low-end bike-store bike. Folks have put
thousands of miles on Sun (and ActionBent) bikes before upgrading to
something a little lighter, or with spiffier bits and pieces, or
what-have-you. Whether one is appropriate for you has a lot to do with
your budget and intended use.

Any one but me ever put off by the "entry-level" moniker? Some bikes are
true klunkers for a variety of reasons, but Sun bikes do not fall into that
category. ReBikes were klunkers. One thing is for su never judge a bike
by its price.

Your main consideration with a recumbent should be the comfort factor.
Everything else is relatively unimportant compared to that - including
weight. All bikes are going to come in at around 30 pounds or so. If you are
that concerned about weight, why not just take 20 pounds off your body.
Every American I have ever known is at least 20 pounds overweight.

The Sun recumbents were designed by Easy Racers and are priced sensibly
which is more than you can say for 90% of all recumbents. The kind of folks
who buy $2000. recumbents have more money than brains. I refuse ever again
to even consider any recumbent which costs one penny over $1000. and a $500.
recumbent I will praise to high heaven provided it is not a klunker. For
heaven's sakes, I spend $2000. on used cars. That is not a bike price if any
of us had the brains we were born with.

Wander on over to
www.bentrideronline.com for advice and opinions minus most of the
diatribes.

Yes, they will like any and all bikes that are expensive and will designate
any and all bikes that are not expensive as "entry-level" just like John
has done with the understanding that you should not buy them if you want to
do more than ride around the block. So much for BROL and John and all those
who think like them.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old December 17th 06, 02:13 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Mr. Excitement

Bassetdad, the most important thing to learn as a newbie is that Ed Dolan is
a complete ****tard.

Old December 18th 06, 06:11 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Mr. Excitement" wrote in message

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

Bassetdad, the most important thing to learn as a newbie is that Ed Dolan
is a complete ****tard.

I doubt that Bassetdad needs an asshole like you to run interference for him
whether he is a newbie or not.

But hey, keep those quality posts coming asshole (****tard?) and ARBR will
soon be as dead as your brain.

Old December 21st 06, 05:48 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Mr. Excitement

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:2MKdnb4nRNhTRBvYnZ2dnUVZ_oernZ2d@prairiewave. com...

"Mr. Excitement" wrote in message

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

Bassetdad, the most important thing to learn as a newbie is that Ed Dolan
is a complete ****tard.

I doubt that Bassetdad needs an asshole like you to run interference for
him whether he is a newbie or not.

But hey, keep those quality posts coming asshole (****tard?) and ARBR will
soon be as dead as your brain.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

He may not need my "interference" but will bet he prefers it to your pompous
trolling. Plus you are a ****tard.

Old December 22nd 06, 02:16 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Mr. Excitement" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:2MKdnb4nRNhTRBvYnZ2dnUVZ_oernZ2d@prairiewave. com...

"Mr. Excitement" wrote in message

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

Bassetdad, the most important thing to learn as a newbie is that Ed
Dolan is a complete ****tard.

I doubt that Bassetdad needs an asshole like you to run interference for
him whether he is a newbie or not.

But hey, keep those quality posts coming asshole (****tard?) and ARBR
will soon be as dead as your brain.

He may not need my "interference" but will bet he prefers it to your
pompous trolling. Plus you are a ****tard.

Bassetdad can look after himself if he had the wit to post a message to
ARBR.

Is ****tard a combination of ****er and turd - someone who ****s assholes?
If so, you are obviously describing yourself. Shame on you! We don't need to
know that much about you.

Anyone but me struck by how anonymous posters are always without any
exceptions whatsoever either idiots, scoundrels or jerks - or invariably all
three.

Old December 23rd 06, 02:31 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

[...]

I have been up all night thinking about what ****tard means and I now
realize it is a combination of ****er and retard, not turd. Therefore, you
are telling us that you are a retard who is a ****er. Good! Glad we got that
cleared up. Now, maybe I can get some sleep tonight!

Newbie Question Shmozz Unicycling 4 December 21st 05 10:07 PM
Newbie question Allen Mountain Biking 12 July 29th 05 04:36 PM
a question from a newbie James Noll Rides 30 January 14th 05 08:11 PM
a question from a newbie James Noll Techniques 3 December 15th 04 05:31 AM
Newbie question Miles General 7 November 21st 04 03:50 AM