Bicycle riddle

Old June 1st 17, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bicycle riddle

On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 3:19:54 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 2:34:32 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 6:15:20 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 30 May 2017 15:25:08 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Tue, 30 May 2017 14:48:20 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau

What kind of seat is that?

Masochists special bicycle saddle:
https://cdn3.volusion.com/artgw.hyvvw/v/vspfiles/photos/CB00741-3.jpg
If I hadn't been told that it was a bicycle wheel, I would swear that
the angel is sitting on the pointed end of a radio lattice tower.

The design of Bicycle playing cards seem to date back to 1885. The
first primitive radio transmitters (called Hertzian oscillators) were
built by German physicist Heinrich Hertz in 1887... :-)

Which is one spelling of my mother's maiden name.

Your mother's maiden name was oscillator?

Close but no apple I-pad.
Old June 1st 17, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 31 May 2017 09:10:53 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Wed, 31 May 2017 17:00:43 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Tue, 30 May 2017 20:17:13 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
Is it my imagination, or is the angel on the card wearing a helmet?
There are larger angel drawings near the 4 corners of the card which
show the helmet better.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/angel-helmet.jpg
It even has ventilation slits.

There were at least two designs of Bicycle playing cards showing an
"angel". One with a front view of the "angel" on a bike and the other
is a side view. In the side view the stuff on the angel's head appears
more like hair than a helmet.

I beg to differ. Enlarged, the angel looks like it's wearing an
aerodynamic helmet, over the hair and again with air vents.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/angel-helmet2.jpg
It's a bit difficult to see because of the size and quality of the
original JPG. The slits in the helmet are obvious. The helmet seems
to have a smooth surface with some hair sticking out on the sides and
back. Sure looks like a helmet to me.

Given that the card was first sold in 1894 I doubt that it is/was
intended to portray a modern plastic bicycle helmet.

See: http://tinyurl.com/ybz49xnu for more than you ever wanted to know
about Bicycle card backs :-)

No respectable Victorian or Edwardian era bicycle rider would consider
being seen outdoors without a hat of some sorts. Note these old
bicycle rider photos where literally everyone is wearing a hat:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=victorian+era+bicycle+riders
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=edwardian+era+bicycle+riders
Presumably, that also applies to cherubs, angels, flashers, and other
minimally attired bicycle riders. Clothes may have been optional, but
a hat was a fundamental requirement because it displayed ones station
in life.

Daniel 10:5-6 (In the Hebrew Bible it is found in the Ketuvim
(writings):

"I looked up and there before me was a man dressed in linen, with a
belt of fine gold from Uphaz around his waist. His body was like
topaz, his face like lightning, his eyes like flaming torches, his
arms and legs like the gleam of burnished bronze, and his voice like
the sound of a multitude."

No hat!
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 1st 17, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 31 May 2017 11:15:06 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/31/2017 11:10 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
John B. wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

-snip angels, helmets -

No respectable Victorian or Edwardian era bicycle rider would consider
being seen outdoors without a hat of some sorts. Note these old
bicycle rider photos where literally everyone is wearing a hat:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=victorian+era+bicycle+riders
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=edwardian+era+bicycle+riders
Presumably, that also applies to cherubs, angels, flashers, and other
minimally attired bicycle riders. Clothes may have been optional, but
a hat was a fundamental requirement because it displayed ones station
in life.

a practice some observe yet:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/ringhead.jpg

A self portrait?
(the modern term is "selfi" and quite the rage, I believe)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 1st 17, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 01 Jun 2017 10:12:55 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Given that the card was first sold in 1894 I doubt that it is/was
intended to portray a modern plastic bicycle helmet.

Haven't you seen or read any of those stories claiming that we were
visited by alien visitors bearing superior technology? Perhaps they
also delivered the technology behind the bicycle helmet, but arrived a
bit premature?

If I'm right, we'll need to rewrite the history of the bicycle helmet.

[...]

Absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

If you've ever been in the middle east, you'll quickly understand the
protocol surrounding the wearing of headgear. If you're stuck
outdoors during the day, you want something on your head or over your
head or you'll soon overheat. If you're traveling, you'll want to let
it soak up the sweat so that you don't dehydrate. At night, it gets
rather cold, so you want a head dress to stay warm. In battle, you
want a helmet or something to protect the head. The only time you
don't want to wear a hat might be indoors. The Arabs managed to stop
progress in its tracks around the 13th century, so a quick survey of
their current customs and protocols should give you a clue how it
worked during biblical times.

The biblical quote was not intended to be a fashion statement, where
the author described the mans attire in detail. Omitting something
from the mans wardrobe, such as the common keffiyeh might be because
everyone wore a keffiyeh and it was not very remarkable. The
description you cited might simply be a list of the details which
deviate from the ordinary and are worth noting, while ignoring the
commonplace. For example, the mans sandals and janbiya were not
mentioned.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 2nd 17, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

You mean that while the observer described the Angel's robe and golden
belt as a means of eliciting awe and then goes on the describe the
angel's body - eyes like flaming torches, his arms and legs like the
gleam of burnished bronze, and his voice like the sound of a
multitude, he forgot the hat?

Or maybe Angels wear grimy old sweat stained hats like Joarg?

If you've ever been in the middle east, you'll quickly understand the
protocol surrounding the wearing of headgear.

The only "protocol" I know of is the lack of a visor which might
prevent your head from actually touching the ground when you say your
prayers. (ignoring the prayer mat/no mat discussion).

If you're stuck
outdoors during the day, you want something on your head or over your
head or you'll soon overheat. If you're traveling, you'll want to let
it soak up the sweat so that you don't dehydrate.

How does a hat that soaks up respiration prevent dehydration?

[...]

Come off it. Angels don't wear a Janbiya. What does a guy with eyes
like flaming torches and that doesn't eat want with a knife. They just
point a finger and ZAP you are gone.

Added to that one would have to ask why some bloke that travels by
using wings needs with sandals.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 2nd 17, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 02 Jun 2017 10:22:59 +0700, John B.
wrote:

You mean that while the observer described the Angel's robe and golden
belt as a means of eliciting awe and then goes on the describe the
angel's body - eyes like flaming torches, his arms and legs like the
gleam of burnished bronze, and his voice like the sound of a
multitude, he forgot the hat?

Re-read your own biblical quote. It says "...before me was a man
dressed in linen...". It says "man" not "angel".

Or maybe Angels wear grimy old sweat stained hats like Joarg?

Well someone has to do God's dirty work. Might was well be properly
dressed for the occasion.

The only "protocol" I know of is the lack of a visor which might
prevent your head from actually touching the ground when you say your
prayers. (ignoring the prayer mat/no mat discussion).

The 5 times a day prayer thing (salat) is the main reason that Islam
has trouble concentrating on getting anything done. If I were
interrupted from my thinking or work every few hours to pray, I would
never be able to do anything creative or complicated.

Some discussion on the hat (kippah) thing:
http://messianicfellowship.50webs.com/kippah.html
In Herbrew tradition, only the men wear a kippah. The women go
bareheaded. Also notice that angles do not wear a kippah.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=painting+Hebrew+angels
How much of this Victorian and Edwardian men followed is debatable.
More likely, it was driven by the fashions of the day, not biblical
precedents. In the late 19th century, when bicycle playing cards and
safety bicycles were being contrived, it was common, fashionable, and
customary to wear a hat when outdoors. I have no clue if the fashion
extended to angels.

If you're stuck
outdoors during the day, you want something on your head or over your
head or you'll soon overheat. If you're traveling, you'll want to let
it soak up the sweat so that you don't dehydrate.

How does a hat that soaks up respiration prevent dehydration?

Your comfort depends very much on the temperature of your head. If
your head feels cold, the rest of your body will feel cool and you
will not sweat. By putting a rag or towel on your head, and getting
it wet from either sweat or dumping water on it, the evaporative
cooling will keep the top of your head cool and you will feel cooler.
It also works the other way. If you wrap your head in a dry turban,
you will feel warmer in a cold climate.

Come off it. Angels don't wear a Janbiya. What does a guy with eyes
like flaming torches and that doesn't eat want with a knife. They just
point a finger and ZAP you are gone.

Except under the influence of controlled substances, I haven't seen
any angels. Next time I see one, I'll ask. Please note that the
dress code for angels is quite different for the dress code for
biblical mortals. Again, depending on the fashion of the day,
concealed carry might not be an option.

Added to that one would have to ask why some bloke that travels by
using wings needs with sandals.

To operate the controls of the space ship that they arrived in and to
give the wings a rest.

Old June 2nd 17, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/2/2017 11:31 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 02 Jun 2017 10:22:59 +0700, John B.
wrote

The only "protocol" I know of is the lack of a visor which might
prevent your head from actually touching the ground when you say your
prayers. (ignoring the prayer mat/no mat discussion).

The 5 times a day prayer thing (salat) is the main reason that Islam
has trouble concentrating on getting anything done. If I were
interrupted from my thinking or work every few hours to pray, I would
never be able to do anything creative or complicated.

Praying just five times per day is for slackers.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 calls for praying CONTINUALLY.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 2nd 17, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 13:23:08 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Praying just five times per day is for slackers.
1 Thessalonians 5:17 calls for praying CONTINUALLY.

Anything worth doing is also worth overdoing.

It's much the same with many other things. Adding a few drops of lube
oil is considered a good thing. Slopping copious amounts of lube oil
everywhere is not a better thing. If one is going to petition the God
of their choice for divine intervention, one should be clear, concise,
and brief so as not to be boring. Replacing this with a marathon
all-night chanting session is probably not very entertaining or
pleasing to anyone, especially a God who has indubitably seen the same
routine by others many times. Quantity is a rather poor substitute
for quality.

However, not to worry. One can always purchase indulgences if they
cannot attend the continuous 24x7 services.

Old June 2nd 17, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Praying just five times per day is for slackers.
1 Thessalonians 5:17 calls for praying CONTINUALLY.

Anything worth doing is also worth overdoing.

It's much the same with many other things. Adding a few drops of lube
oil is considered a good thing. Slopping copious amounts of lube oil
everywhere is not a better thing. If one is going to petition the God
of their choice for divine intervention, one should be clear, concise,
and brief so as not to be boring. Replacing this with a marathon
all-night chanting session is probably not very entertaining or
pleasing to anyone, especially a God who has indubitably seen the same
routine by others many times. Quantity is a rather poor substitute
for quality.

Well, some disagree, and seem to have come up with a technological
solution. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_wheel
I don't know if any are pedal powered. But if we're out pedaling along
and spinning our wheels anyway, perhaps we should incorporate the idea.

However, not to worry. One can always purchase indulgences if they
cannot attend the continuous 24x7 services.

Nah, Martin Luther put a stop to that. I think he was ****ed at the
richer guys getting better seats in heaven.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 3rd 17, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I thought that a proper Jewish wife covered her hair. Even to the
extent of wearing a wig.

Angels may not wear a kippah but the Pope wears a zucchetto, which
might be described as an Italian yarmulke :-)

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=painting+Hebrew+angels
How much of this Victorian and Edwardian men followed is debatable.
More likely, it was driven by the fashions of the day, not biblical
precedents. In the late 19th century, when bicycle playing cards and
safety bicycles were being contrived, it was common, fashionable, and
customary to wear a hat when outdoors. I have no clue if the fashion
extended to angels.

I believe that women covering their hair is more or less a world wide
custom. At least I've observed that single women in Asia quite often
wear their hair loose down their back (My Thai wife had hair almost to
her waist when I met her) and after marriage they either cut it off
wear it up. European women (the gentle born at least) always cover
their head or wear a hat to enter a church. I'm not sure about modern
Church attire but the Nuns I see here all cover their hair. Muslim
women cover their hair, at a minimum, and as I mentioned I understand
that some Jewish women cover their hair after marriage.

If you're stuck
outdoors during the day, you want something on your head or over your
head or you'll soon overheat. If you're traveling, you'll want to let
it soak up the sweat so that you don't dehydrate.

How does a hat that soaks up respiration prevent dehydration?

Your comfort depends very much on the temperature of your head. If
your head feels cold, the rest of your body will feel cool and you
will not sweat. By putting a rag or towel on your head, and getting
it wet from either sweat or dumping water on it, the evaporative
cooling will keep the top of your head cool and you will feel cooler.
It also works the other way. If you wrap your head in a dry turban,
you will feel warmer in a cold climate.

I was referring specifically to the word "dehydration" and I can't see
the connection between hat and dehydration.

Come off it. Angels don't wear a Janbiya. What does a guy with eyes
like flaming torches and that doesn't eat want with a knife. They just
point a finger and ZAP you are gone.

Except under the influence of controlled substances, I haven't seen
any angels. Next time I see one, I'll ask. Please note that the
dress code for angels is quite different for the dress code for
biblical mortals. Again, depending on the fashion of the day,
concealed carry might not be an option.

Added to that one would have to ask why some bloke that travels by
using wings needs with sandals.

To operate the controls of the space ship that they arrived in and to
give the wings a rest.

Good Lord! They didn't come in space ships. Angels apparently predated
the earth: When God created the earth, the angels "began shouting in
applause". From the book of Job (in the late comers' book)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Riddle Squashme UK 20 May 31st 13 08:01 AM
Best Bike Buys searches online bike stores to help you find bicycles,bikes, bicycle parts, bicycle clothing, and bicycle accessories [email protected] UK 1 May 15th 08 09:07 AM
Best Bike Buys searches online bike stores to help you find bicycles,bikes, bicycle parts, bicycle clothing, and bicycle accessories [email protected] Racing 0 May 14th 08 09:55 PM
Best Bike Buys searches online bike stores to help you find bicycles,bikes, bicycle parts, bicycle clothing, and bicycle accessories [email protected] Techniques 0 May 14th 08 09:54 PM
Best Bike Buys searches online bike stores to help you find bicycles,bikes, bicycle parts, bicycle clothing, and bicycle accessories [email protected] General 0 May 14th 08 09:54 PM