Lock pickers and bike thieves...

Old September 16th 04, 09:58 PM
Gwood

Default Lock pickers and bike thieves...

I have an idea that I'd like to patent :

Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell
(loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the seatpost.
A very inconspicuous switch disables a simple pin firing mechanism. Lock
the bike, set the "alarm" switch. Somebody cuts your lock and tries to ride
off... body weight on the pin ... one bump.... sweet justice.

From: "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
Subject: Movie of picking a Kryptonite U-lock in 15 seconds with a ballpoint
pen
Date: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 3:22 PM

http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14...ricey_bik.html

Any thoughts on this?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

From: "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
pen
Date: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 3:22 PM

http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14...ricey_bik.html

Any thoughts on this?

Shotgun enema. Hmm, don't want to forget That switch before you ride
away. I think I'll stick the the townie concept, and leave the nice
rides inside.
But you go right ahead Phil.

Shawn
Old September 16th 04, 10:18 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Gwood wrote:
I have an idea that I'd like to patent :

Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell
(loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the
seatpost. A very inconspicuous switch disables a simple pin firing
mechanism. Lock the bike, set the "alarm" switch. Somebody cuts
your lock and tries to ride off... body weight on the pin ... one
bump.... sweet justice.

Looks like the market for drilled-through seatpost shafts and cutout saddles
is going to skyrocket!

Hmm... I wonder what the legal ramifications are of this. I remember when
some store owner that kept getting robbed either set up an electric shock or
a shotgun trigger that fired when the door was opened. The robber was
killed, and I don't remember what happened to the owner, but I think he was
incarcerated. Anyone remember the rest of this story?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old September 17th 04, 12:14 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell
(loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the seatpost.

I like the idea of amputating a single joint from one finger of the perp's
choice for each theft conviction.

That way, the inevitable false convictions won't maim anybody...and even a
3-time loser wouldn't be unemployable....but at least when people saw somebody
with only a couple fingers they'd know who was around...

--
PeteCresswell
Old September 17th 04, 12:56 AM
Slacker

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:58:29 -0700, Gwood wrote:

I have an idea that I'd like to patent :

Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell=

(loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the =

seatpost.
A very inconspicuous switch disables a simple pin firing mechanism. L=

ock
the bike, set the "alarm" switch. Somebody cuts your lock and tries t=

o =

ride
off... body weight on the pin ... one bump.... sweet justice.

You might want to get brainstorm with Blaine (BB) of this one; He alread=
y =

has similar thing going. It's injects elastomer bumpers up yer keister, =
=

but apparently it does this too efficiently because the victim/rectum =

doesn't even realize what happened ;-P

--
Slacker - sorry BB, I just can't let it go
Old September 17th 04, 03:10 AM
Paul Cassel

Gwood wrote:

I have an idea that I'd like to patent :

Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell
(loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the seatpost.
A very inconspicuous switch disables a simple pin firing mechanism. Lock
the bike, set the "alarm" switch. Somebody cuts your lock and tries to ride
off... body weight on the pin ... one bump.... sweet justice.

Are you serious? This is called a booby trap and is illegal in most
places. I expect you're just venting about thieves. I agree they should
be shot, but this way will land you in jail.

--
paul DOT cassel aT
gMail dot COM

Old September 17th 04, 06:39 AM
SuperSlinky

Gwood said...

I have an idea that I'd like to patent :

Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell
(loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the seatpost.
A very inconspicuous switch disables a simple pin firing mechanism. Lock
the bike, set the "alarm" switch. Somebody cuts your lock and tries to ride
off... body weight on the pin ... one bump.... sweet justice.

Don't quit your day job, dude.
Old September 19th 04, 02:35 AM
Martin Wilson

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:58:29 -0700, "Gwood" wrote:

I have an idea that I'd like to patent :

Without giving too much away, it involves a light charge shotgun shell
(loaded with rock salt - I'm a humanitarian after all) inside the seatpost.
A very inconspicuous switch disables a simple pin firing mechanism. Lock
the bike, set the "alarm" switch. Somebody cuts your lock and tries to ride
off... body weight on the pin ... one bump.... sweet justice.

Personally if caught I think almost every possesion he/she has should
be taken from them because you don't know if it was acquired by theft
or purchased using funds from selling stolen goods (leaving just the
very basic necessary items). Then send details of his conviction to
parents, family and his/her employer warning that this person is
dishonest. Plus of course a small custodial sentence that is deeply
unpleasant like working on a chain gang cleaning/repairing sewers for
example.

From my uk perspective and I suspect much the same in the usa and
mainland europe there is an acceptance of crime from politicians.
Almost to the point of seeing the criminals as the victims (poor
upbringing, poor education, dis-illusioned) and therefore no real
punishment is dished out.

From: "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
Subject: Movie of picking a Kryptonite U-lock in 15 seconds with a
ballpoint
pen
Date: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 3:22 PM

http://www.boingboing.net/2004/09/14...ricey_bik.html

Any thoughts on this?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

i like it alot.
i have a good idea too, though not as gentle.
you set your bike in a high theft area, and wait in the parkinglot with
some buddies. when your bike is being stolen, rush the guy and beat the
**** out of him.
after a few times word will spread and people wont be so willing to
steal in your nieghborhood.

--
Mr_Kingkillaha