Bike box purchaes at airports

Old June 4th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Bike box purchaes at airports

It used to be easy to buy bike boxes at airports, which was convenient
if you did not have a way of tranporting both yourself and bike there
for a flight.

I am especially curious about the airports in Frankrurt, W. Germany
and JFK in New York.

There seems to be very little information out there, so I am hoping
someone might have some recent relevant experience to share. Most
airlines used to always have boxes you could buy when you checked in,
but now they won't promise anything over the phone.

Thanks, Nick
Old June 4th 06, 08:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

You're better off NOT using a bike box. The bike won't have an elephant
put on top of it.
I've been on dozens of flights with bikes, as have my friends.
Collectively we would have maybe 400 bike flights or more. The ONLY
time we had serious damage was the one time we used bike boxes. 2 of
seven frames broken!