Bike Share graveyard

Old December 8th 17, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Bike Share graveyard

On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 10:25:36 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 13:18:49 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-12-07 09:18, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

One time I found out the day before the ride that the restaurant I'd
picked out had to close due to an emergency. (a gas leak - lucky it
didn't explode!) So I had to quickly throw together a different ride.. It
required about a mile on a downhill stretch of a new four lane road.
Traffic wasn't bad at all ...

The last five words are the key. Of course most riders do not mind
roads when traffic is light. However, they do hesitate when it looks
like this:

https://goo.gl/maps/yX2ts3QeNeF2

Nearly every cyclist I know in town, and it's quite a few, refuses to
ride through there. The common response it "That is crazy!".

I don't doubt that most cyclists refuse to ride there. Most cyclists in
America lack the knowledge and confidence to ride with real competence
on anything but a nearly empty road.

Or they know or met one cyclist (in my case several) who got seriously
hit out there. The worst one needed years to get back into the saddle
because of injuries. She ended up under a full-size pickup truck.

My wife knew a woman that was killed stepping off the bus. She stepped
off and was hit by a motorcycle, fell and hit her head on the curb.
Busses are dangerious!

One of my gunners when I was at Enewetak Atoll had to jump out of
three airplanes. Proving that Aircraft are unsafe.

My grandmother knew a fellow that was killed when a horse ran away.
Horses are unsafe.

I bought a new pair of shoes and got a blister. The blister became
infected and I had to have part of my little toe amputated. Shoes are
dangerious.

Both my grandfathers died in bed thus proving that beds are
dangerious.

Is all that ridiculous? Certainly it is. Just as are your posts about
the dangerious roads that you are forced to ride over.

I would remind you that Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder results not
only from a single traumatic experience but also from continued
exposure to what an individual views as danger.

If you continue riding on those roads that you just know are so
dangerious you may find yourself experiencing one or another of the
following symptoms: Flashbacks, Upsetting dreams, even physical
reactions to a flash back.

Joerg is so hysterical about the dangers of road riding that you want to discard everything he says, particularly when he posts a picture of a road that looks like my morning commute. But with that said, there are some really dangerous places to ride -- which I accommodate by either avoiding or exercising extreme care. Extreme care may or may not mean riding lane center.

Building an entire network of separate facilities isn't feasible for most established cities or acceptable to tax-payers. The Central Valley always had an abundance of dirt, and entire towns have been built practically overnight. It's easy to put in facilities -- and you can pay for them with development charges. If that's what the locals want, go for it. I'm not waiting around for special bike facilities and will continue to ride on the road, as I am allowed to do under the Oregon UVC.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 8th 17, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

[...]

--
Cheers,

John B.

Although not a cyclist himself, my friend's grandfather met
his demise by bicycle:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/jfkgrfth.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 8th 17, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 2017-12-07 09:18, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

[...]

Some people make music out of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9P2V0_p6vE

Old December 8th 17, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/8/2017 1:19 PM, Duane wrote:

Some people make music out of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9P2V0_p6vE

I always had difficulty considering Zappa's stuff to be music.

He once said "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not
possible." But I always thought he was far more interested in deviation
than in progress.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 8th 17, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/8/2017 1:53 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/8/2017 1:19 PM, Duane wrote:

Some people make music out of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9P2V0_p6vE

I always had difficulty considering Zappa's stuff to be music.

He once said "Without deviation from the norm, progress is
not possible." But I always thought he was far more
interested in deviation than in progress.

Don't eat that yellow snow.

Old December 8th 17, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
On 12/8/2017 1:53 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/8/2017 1:19 PM, Duane wrote:

Some people make music out of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9P2V0_p6vE

I always had difficulty considering Zappa's stuff to be music.

He once said "Without deviation from the norm, progress is
not possible." But I always thought he was far more
interested in deviation than in progress.

Everyone sees art from a different view point.

Don't eat that yellow snow.

Last time I saw Zappa he did two sets with George Duke that was some of the
most complex jazz I’ve seen. For an encore he played slide on a very good
version of Whipping Post that rivalled Duane Allman. Talk about contra
pointe.

--
duane
Old December 9th 17, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 14:53:40 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 12/8/2017 1:19 PM, Duane wrote:

Some people make music out of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9P2V0_p6vE

I always had difficulty considering Zappa's stuff to be music.

He once said "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not
possible." But I always thought he was far more interested in deviation
than in progress.

And if he had played a harmonica he probably wouldn't have gotten on
the Steve Allen Show :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 9th 17, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2017-12-07 09:18, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

[...]

Proof positive that the devilish machines are dangerious and should be
banned from the nation's highways and byways.

Forbes has it that not a single person has been killed in a
crash on a United States certificated scheduled airline operating
anywhere in the world in the past seven years, while bicycles have
killed nearly 5,000 people during the same period in the U.S.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 9th 17, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2017-12-07 09:18, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

[...]

Not having been killed yet, I consider every minute on my
bicycle blissful. Some minutes more than others but you get
the idea.

Flying commercial makes mere death look like a good alternate.

Old December 9th 17, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On 12/8/2017 1:19 PM, Duane wrote:

Some people make music out of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9P2V0_p6vE

I always had difficulty considering Zappa's stuff to be music.

He once said "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not
possible." But I always thought he was far more interested in deviation
than in progress.

And if he had played a harmonica he probably wouldn't have gotten on
the Steve Allen Show :-)

But there's Milton Berle!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2WFw9oSBlI

--