Time to dispense with Greenland?

Old April 2nd 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Time to dispense with Greenland?

still just me wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 20:21:37 -0700, "Bill Sornson"
wrote:

I specified a time frame for `getting warmer.'

And if the current (decade plus) cooling trend suddenly reverses itself, you
may be correct (in a "few millenia").

http://images.dailytech.com:80/nimag...ge_hadcrut.jpg

It's amazing that so many scientists can be so wrong about this, when
Snorti has it all figured out!

Argue about warming or cooling all you want - we're still screwing up
the planet and something need to be done.

When you can't eat fish from the open ocean more than once a week
because they have too much mercury in them, when there are entire city
water supplies polluted by industrial contaminants, when you have
"don't do outdoor activities like cycling" days because the air
quality is so bad, then it's time for the corporate polluters to start
cleaning up all the **** they dump into OUR environment.

Real conservatives know what conservative means.

Do real conservatives actually exist? Real life political "conservatism"
is actually a cover for inherited privilege and cronyism.

Old April 2nd 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

Default OT: Nuclear Weapons

On Apr 1, 5:45 pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

still just me wrote:
On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 15:34:12 -0500, Tom Sherman
wrote:

What do the Iranians have to fear (rhetorical question)? Why could
they possibly want a nuclear deterrant? After all, there are only
two nuclear armed countries currently threatening to bomb them
into oblivion, and two more nearby countries with nuclear weapons
(one of which has a unstable government and low level near civil
war).

Regardless, an unstable, radical, short fused country like Iran
with Nukes is a bad thing. I say we go in Israeli style and kick
their nuclear program out of existence in one quick strike. Problem
solved.

It is attitudes like that which will result in most countries
eventually having nuclear weapons. That will result in the weapons
being eventually used.

Most hominids are too foolish to be trusted with anything more
dangerous than products made by Nerf®.

I want nuclear weapons, too. Under a strict constructionist
interpretation of the Second Amendment, the government cannot infringe
upon my right to bear nuclear arms, tactical arms, guided missiles,
cluster bombs, RPGs, cannons, hand grenades and arguably mines and IEDs.
There is no limitation of our right to bear arms to guns:

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free
state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be
infringed."

That's all it says and that says it all.

The NRA is a wimpy special interest failing to protect the rights of all
but a tiny elite portion of arms owners and I am sick of the Republican
Party kowtowing to those namby-pamby nattering peaceniks who want to
take effective deterrence away from law-abiding citizens! Join the
National Nuke Owners and Operators Organization and fight for your right
to bear nuclear arms!

Nukes don't go "click", dude.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lfjc4Q9pso
Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy ****
with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from
you, stick it up your ass and pull the ****ing trigger 'til it goes
"click."
Old April 3rd 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

On Mar 31, 8:09*pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
Michael Press wrote:
There is no normal for climate. Global climate has been
much warmer than now, as in medieval times, as well as
prehistoric times when it was much, much warmer. Currently,
over the most recent few millennia global climate has been
getting warmer, and will continue to get warmer until
the next continental ice sheets are laid down. To think
that we will make the climate cooler is hubris.

Almost all correct, except that the earth is actually cooling now. *(Has
been for the last ten years.)

Bill "Al's new $350M ad campaign notwithstanding" S.

Ummm... Bill "Gets his news and science from Rush and other primary
sources of valid scientific data within the GOP Lie Machine"... then
why are the icecaps and any measured glacier melting? Nice data,
Bill. Your source AND the explanation for the melt?

Please note that Bill has killfiled me so that he doesn't have to
answer pesky questions that undercut his baseless assertions.

D'ohBoy
Old April 3rd 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

On Apr 2, 5:53 pm, still just me wrote:
On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 17:44:55 -0700 (PDT), Woland99
wrote:

On Apr 1, 5:45 pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,

snip
The NRA is a wimpy special interest failing to protect the rights of all
but a tiny elite portion of arms owners and I am sick of the Republican
Party kowtowing to those namby-pamby nattering peaceniks who want to
take effective deterrence away from law-abiding citizens! Join the
National Nuke Owners and Operators Organization and fight for your right
to bear nuclear arms!

Nukes don't go "click", dude.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lfjc4Q9pso
Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy ****
with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from
you, stick it up your ass and pull the ****ing trigger 'til it goes
"click."

Hey Tim, I don't think he liked your comments on the NRA.

Here's an interesting article on the latest case the NRA is involved
in:http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/a...ond_amendment/

Actually though, if they weren't now just an arm of the Republican
Party now, they could make a much stronger case against the current
interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. GWB recently took control of the
National Guard(s) so that he could order them to Iraq. Since the NG's
no longer meet the definition of a well-regulated people's militia to
protect against tyranny of the national government, the entire basis
that the courts have used for defining the 2nd amendment is now void.

BTW - is it illegal to build my own nuclear bomb without using
commercial "bomb parts"? I don't know that that's true. I know I need
a permit for the plutonium. But I think as long as I don't own
commercial bomb parts that anything I can build in my basement is OK.

No - I was merely explaining why NRA folks love their guns.
Because the go "click". You do not even have to stick them
up sbdys posterior - just pull the trigger and feel that
incredible power rush - he is dead dead dead and am alive
alive alive. That's all.
Old April 3rd 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

still just me wrote:
On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:04:14 -0700 (PDT), "D'ohBoy"
wrote:

Ummm... Bill "Gets his news and science from Rush and other primary
sources of valid scientific data within the GOP Lie Machine"... then
why are the icecaps and any measured glacier melting? Nice data,
Bill. Your source AND the explanation for the melt?

Ignore the man behind the falling Antarctic ice shelf! Ignore the man
behind the ice shelf!

Please note that Bill has killfiled me so that he doesn't have to
answer pesky questions that undercut his baseless assertions.

Hey, hey, me too!

Me three!

Old April 12th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Eric[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Just spent last weekend at the Trinity Site. Also toured the Atomic
Museum in Albuquerque. If you have several square miles of empty land,
10% of the national power grid*, and 10,000 people looking for work, you
too can refine enough uranium to build your own "little boy." Then, if
you want, you can send large amounts of it up to your own reactor (better
find a few more people) and convert it to plutonium. Then feel free to
borrow some of the existing explosive lens designs (oh, and build a "high
explosives" factory while you're at it) to make your own "fat man" bomb.

Now, this may get you in trouble with the NRC (a civilian agency), since
they are the ones who actually arm the existing US stockpile. They likes
their monopoly. Don't exactly know where the Pentagon stands on the issue.

I think there's a feeling these days that just because the plans are out
there, anyone can just pick up a few things at the home depot and build
their own nuke. It doesn't help matters when China gives plutonium to
North Korea (and who knows who else) to let them fast track one. The
reality is, building these things takes a lot of energy and manpower,
something most of the countries we are supposed to worry about don't
have. And, they'd have to hide it from the satellites. One of the
buildings at the Oak Ridge complex was/is about 1/2 mile long, and there
are many other buildings all around it. Looking back at the "evidence"
presented to the UN by Colin Powell showed a few small buildings that
just weren't big enough to house a refining operation, even using modern
techniques. I just wish I knew that at the time.

*OK, 10% of the electric grid in the 1940s, but still, that's a lot of
juice.