Sge/Era of Norco Montery with...

Old June 26th 14, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Sge/Era of Norco Montery with...

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 7:55:27 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:13:25 AM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:30:16 PM UTC-7, Dan O wrote:

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:05:32 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:40:59 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

snip

The long search is over. One query on a bicycling forum gave the answer with the very first reply. The bicycle was made in 1981.

Based on what? Did you give them a serial number? The components were available in 1980 (if not earlier and certainly later).

Based on the fact that motorcycles weren't mentioned,

thereby assuring authoritative knowledge of bicycles.

What does irk me is that SR makes it like an Easter egg hunt -- apparently intentionally. The first thing you look at to date a Norco or Nishiki (same bike) is the serial number on the BB -- which, IIRC, has a year number in it (if it follows the usual Nishiki numbering system). The crank should have a manufacturing date. Paint and color scheme matter -- although I didn't follow the brand, so I can't say what colors were used in which years, etc. Just throwing out a collection of parts is not going to get you the exact year of the bike, except with rare components with limited runs -- like AX or Arabesque or Sante, but even those groups were in production for a couple of years. This sort of coyness strikes me as kind of a troll -- like saying, "Hey, I found this old Chrysler. It has a Delco alternator. What year is it?" Then you say, "well, on the Chrysler group, they told me in the first post that it was 1976!"

-- Jay Beattie.

Sheesh! I did post the first part of the Serial # upthread but didn't see any reply that stated how old that made the frame.

Cheers

I didn't see that. I apologize, in part. The answer to your question is that your bike was made by Yamaguchi (the "Y"), it was made in 1980 (the zero) and in the month of July (the "G"). Perhaps it was marketed as a 1981 model. I don't know since I never followed the brand -- or any brand that carefully.

I reached this conclusion by doing some minor research: http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ssessment.html

There are apparently people who care about old junk. I initially guessed at 1980, apparently correctly.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 26th 14, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 3:05:50 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

GREAT FLYING SQUIRRELS ! A good condition bottom end stamped and welded 10 speed came by here but there was no room and so.....

junk well yes but unique junk....where else ? and why ? well because its junk Dude.

The Apache auto comes to mind as the latest touted collectible JUNK or an AMX or Matador...

Norco vs. Author Stench General 9 February 9th 06 05:43 PM
Norco vs. Author Stench Mountain Biking 2 February 6th 06 06:30 PM
has anyone seen the norco M-uni Radical Reed Unicycling 14 August 2nd 05 05:49 PM
FS Norco + Jamis Adrian Marketplace 0 December 9th 04 04:21 AM
Got My Norco Slacker Mountain Biking 2 July 15th 03 11:14 AM