Tips for chain cleaning

Old May 20th 05, 03:15 PM
Neil Brooks

"Dale Benjamin" wrote:

Neil Brooks wrote:
Really? I've never noticed. I do oil it and wipe off the big chunks.
I'm with you on this. If I've done some really nasty riding--either
rain riding on the road bike, or mud riding on the mtb--I use WD-40, a
rag, and a toothbrush, but have *never* removed a chain for cleaning.

They run fine, whisper-quiet, get good life, and don't seem to be
cog-eaters.

I'd rather be riding....

Good policy, at least better than cleaning and oiling only. I would suggest
10W-40 rather than WD-40, to minimize removal of factory lubricants.

WD is just the crud-cleaning agent. I lube 'em up after that (sort of
thought I should have added that....).

Are you thinking of motor oil as a cleaning product, or were you
pointing to my post's absence of a lubrication regimen following
cleaning?
Old May 21st 05, 03:50 AM
(PeteCresswell)

Per JH:
I suppose I'm probably imagining most of the "improvement" from the
clean chain.

I don't think so.

On reflection, chain noise is the other thing - besides looks - that moves me to
oil (but not clean) my chain.
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 21st 05, 08:04 AM
Polly

THAT was the hell my point.

Go munch a cracker.

Troll.

BS

Aww Bill I didnt mean to make you cry. I can just see the tears streaming
down your face.. shucks heres a tissue.
I just finished cleaning my chain with it...

polly

Old May 21st 05, 08:30 AM
Bill Sornson

Polly wrote:
THAT was the hell my point.

Go munch a cracker.

Troll.

BS

Aww Bill I didnt mean to make you cry. I can just see the tears
streaming down your face.. shucks heres a tissue.
I just finished cleaning my chain with it...

Once again you delete the one direct question posed to you. Credibility
Rating: ZERO.

Whatever...

Old May 21st 05, 11:04 AM
Dale Benjamin

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
Dale Benjamin wrote:

Not at all. A dirty chain wears faster than a clean one, and wears the

gears
too. Oil is an excellent lubricant, if you're going to repeat the clean and

oil
cycle every few hundred miles. To extend the time interval between

cleanings,
apply grease after the oil. It gets dirty just as quick as oil, but the

dirt
and grit doesn't get into the bushings like it does when only oil is used.

A poster on this NG conducted an experiment not too long ago where he
split a chain into 2 sections with quick links and cleaned only one
section. He found that the cleaning didn't improve chain life. Perhaps
you'd repeat the experiment with grease?

Not very likely. I don't have the resources to conduct meaningful experiments
( a few hundred entire chains ), much less fairly conclusive ( thousands of
chains ), for thousands of miles in various conditions.

Old May 21st 05, 11:12 AM
Dale Benjamin

"Neil Brooks" wrote in message
"Dale Benjamin" wrote:

Neil Brooks wrote:
Really? I've never noticed. I do oil it and wipe off the big chunks.
I'm with you on this. If I've done some really nasty riding--either
rain riding on the road bike, or mud riding on the mtb--I use WD-40, a
rag, and a toothbrush, but have *never* removed a chain for cleaning.

They run fine, whisper-quiet, get good life, and don't seem to be
cog-eaters.

I'd rather be riding....

Good policy, at least better than cleaning and oiling only. I would suggest
10W-40 rather than WD-40, to minimize removal of factory lubricants.

WD is just the crud-cleaning agent. I lube 'em up after that (sort of
thought I should have added that....).

Are you thinking of motor oil as a cleaning product, or were you
pointing to my post's absence of a lubrication regimen following
cleaning?

Actually I was thinking of the possibility that the WD-40 might wash grit into
the chain bushings. Motor oil is fairly effective for cleaning off grit. But
unless you're ready to remove the chain and clean it well, any oil or solvent
application may wash grit into the bushings. Of course if you clean the chain,
then there are the chain rings, cluster gears, and derailleurs to do also.

Old July 30th 05, 08:08 PM
Jasper Janssen

Default Tips for chain cleaning

On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:08:45 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"wle" wrote: (clip)--0.3 is a visual estimate - pretty easy to make. (clip)
Language like, "half a thou," or even "a third of sixteenth," would never be
misunderstood. But .3/16 is strange, and so, easily questioned.

If you visually see that something is about a third of something marked as
a 16th, then the proper way to express that would be as 1/48th.

Jasper