Rohloff Hub: Has anybody actually been able to remove the insides?

Old July 30th 05, 03:48 PM
Dan Burkhart

Default Rohloff Hub: Has anybody actually been able to remove the insides?

(PeteCresswell) Wrote:
Just curious. There are all those little Torx screws an
theoretically, the
working part can be removed for cheaper shipping.... but I wonder i
anybody has
actually been able to remove it.

In the same vein, has anybody been able to change their sprocket?
--
PeteCresswell

Hi Pete
I have not actually taken the guts out, but the manual says to replac
the paper gasket when re installing. Therefore, I would suggest havin
one of those on hand, or, alternatively, it shouldn't be too hard t
make one out of gasket material.
As for removing the sprocket, you will need a sprocket removal tool
looks similar to a bmx sprocket removal tool) and a chain whip. Th
sprocket tool holds the spindle while the sprocket is threaded off wit
the chain whip. I take mine off periodically and turn it around to kee
the wear even on both sides. As far as I know, all but the 13 toot
size are reversible.
Da

--
Dan Burkhart

Old July 30th 05, 06:11 PM
(PeteCresswell)

Just curious. There are all those little Torx screws and theoretically, the
working part can be removed for cheaper shipping.... but I wonder if anybody has

Old July 31st 05, 01:39 AM
(PeteCresswell)

Per Dan Burkhart:
I take mine off periodically and turn it around to keep
the wear even on both sides.

How many chains do you go through before turning it over?
--
PeteCresswell
Old July 31st 05, 04:05 AM
Dan Burkhart

(PeteCresswell) Wrote:
Per Dan Burkhart:
I take mine off periodically and turn it around to keep
the wear even on both sides.

How many chains do you go through before turning it over?
--
PeteCresswell

Still on the first chain (Sram PC48). Still measures like a new chain
As I have found with my other internally geared hub, chains seem to las
a lot longer when they run a straight line all the time.
Da

--
Dan Burkhart

Old July 31st 05, 08:36 AM
Nick Payne

Once you have the needed tool, removing the sprocket is easy, as it has a
very steeply pitched thread and is pretty easy to remove even after many
kilometres. The cog is reversible - I flipped mine over after I had been
through two chains to put the wear on the other side of the teeth.

I also had mine apart to replace the gear change cable after the first three
or so years of use. Wasn't sure that it needed changing, and once I had it
apart it looked to still be in good condition,k but I was about to go
touring on the hub and I was already past Rohloff's suggested interval for
changing the cable...

Nick

Rohloff hubs Pat Recumbent Biking 16 December 10th 04 08:05 PM
Rohloff Speedhub Derk Techniques 54 November 25th 04 02:24 AM
How to remove Rust from Chain evsolutions Recumbent Biking 24 June 6th 04 10:22 PM
How to remove rear wheel of Brompton? Tim Woodall UK 2 May 22nd 04 11:46 AM
Fun fun fun Jon Senior UK 140 May 4th 04 05:14 PM