best internal shifting hub?

Old August 1st 03, 07:35 PM
S. Delaire \Rotatorrecumbent\

Default best internal shifting hub?

My 2 cents worth
Chet Kyle and Jim Browning set up a testing rig with the purpose of
finding the most efficient transmission system. Write up appeared in an
issue of Human Power.
Their conclusion:
Nothing beats a standard derailleur system for lowest power lost.
The Rohloff was good in some gears and bad in others. I seem to recall
the efficiency changed by 15% over the range of gears. Overall the
Rohloff is a beautiful piece of engineering and craftsmanship.
Strange as it sounds a Shimano Nexus 7 tested the best of all the
internal hubs in terms of efficiency in transferring power. Only a
couple of percent lower the a derailleur system.
Biggest problem with it, in my opinion is, no quick release for easy
tire repair.
Rohloff does have a QR
The old style Sturmey Archer tested poorly.
Speedy

Khoomei wrote:

What is the best internal shifting hub on these important points:
- reasonably lightweight compared to a road group
- reliable operation
- parts are available from the usual channels, not some guy working
out of his garage.
- has more than 3 speeds.

Old August 2nd 03, 01:08 AM
Menotomy

The old style Sturmey Archer tested poorly.

Of course it did. The weight of the average cycle with a Sturmey-Archer
internal 3-speed hub would also do poorly. But I'd like to see a test of how
ANY internal hub compares with a Sturmey-Archer AW after say, 25 years of use?
Reliablility? Durability? Efficiency?

Kinda funny that this survey says "more than 3 speeds"...

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles, Inc.
http://OldRoads.com