110 bcd double crankset

Old July 30th 03, 09:13 PM
James Bondra

Default 110 bcd double crankset

I just saw an article about Tyler Hamilton using a 110 bcd crank with 52
x 36 chainrings.

I am interested in a similar setup (110 bcd double) as where I live it
is very hilly and I am interested in doing a few 100+ mile rides with
10,000 ft of climbing. I am currently running a Campy Daytona 9sp double
front derailleur and a 9 speed double Daytona rear derailleur. I have a
clamp on front derailleur. Is it possible to run either a 52 or 50 and a
34 inner ring with this set up? I would prefer not to have to go the
triple route due to cost.

My questions are these:

a) With a front double derailleur what is the maximum tooth difference I
can run with chainrings?
b) What is the largest rear cogset? I am running a 13 x 26, but have a
13 x 28.

I am looking at Dimension Cross Crankset.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jim Bondra
Old July 30th 03, 09:58 PM
Me

sounds cool to me. my knees could use that as well, but I've taken the
plunge and gone for a triple.

Shimano 105, stuff, not too bad on cost, but it means you buying new
shifters.

Something to keep in mind that Tylers crank is made by Full Speed Ahead
(FSA) and is only available in carbon if its available to the public. They
used the 110 bolt size as this is the standard size for mtb chianrings so
that they could have a good selection of off the shelf sizes to choose from
for the stages. Also keep in mind, the cranks alone will set you back $250+!

Best of luck with the conversion...

om...

Old July 30th 03, 11:26 PM
Nick Payne

TA make a 110BCD crankset (the Zephyr Light), Rivendell still have stock of
the Ritchey 110BCD double (made by Sugino) and also another Sugino 110BCD
double. You can get five arm 110BCD splined spiders to fit MTB cranksets
that have a removeable spider.

Why do you need a 50 or 52? 48-11 is almost exactly the same gear as 53-12.
I use 48-34 chainrings with an 11-23 10s cassette for road racing and 13-29
cassette for pottering around in the hills. And the Daytona derailleur has
no problems with the 29t rear sprocket.

Nick

Old July 30th 03, 11:29 PM
Paul Kopit

I currently run a 48/34 on 2 Campy bicycles, one is 9 and the other is
10sp. Using a regular cage derailleur, I can run 12/23, 13/28, 13/29
w/o problem. I size the chain for 48/28 and just put in whatever
cassette I like. The shifting from 34 to 50 is difficult and 34 to 48
can be seamless with the proper front derailleur. A Campy 10 works
better than a Campy 9 and I have no idea as to why. A Shimano 105
works best. The large ring you select should have pronounced pins and
ramps.

I have an extra Dimension Crankset, 48/34 that I'd like to sell. I
bought it for my wife but she insisted on a triple I have the BB and
31.8 clamp derailleur too. You really won't need the bb because the
111 Daytona bb, ISO bb will work like the 107 JIT bb that is required.
Should you be a weight weenie, I have a ti World Class bb that is 110
that works with the crankset too.

Old July 30th 03, 11:30 PM
Paul Kopit

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:55:13 GMT, (Eric Murray) wrote:

But lots of double cranks have been and are made
for 110 BCD.

No longer true.
Old July 31st 03, 12:14 AM
Precious Pup

Paul Kopit wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:55:13 GMT, (Eric Murray) wrote:

But lots of double cranks have been and are made
for 110 BCD.

No longer true.

So history has been somehow revised?

No longer *half* true.
Old July 31st 03, 12:32 AM
Precious Pup

James Bondra wrote:

I just saw an article about Tyler Hamilton using a 110 bcd crank with 52
x 36 chainrings.

I am interested in a similar setup (110 bcd double) as where I live it
is very hilly and I am interested in doing a few 100+ mile rides with
10,000 ft of climbing. I am currently running a Campy Daytona 9sp double
front derailleur and a 9 speed double Daytona rear derailleur. I have a
clamp on front derailleur. Is it possible to run either a 52 or 50 and a
34 inner ring with this set up? I would prefer not to have to go the
triple route due to cost.

My questions are these:

a) With a front double derailleur what is the maximum tooth difference I
can run with chainrings?

I run a 53x33 110 double with a _standard_ 105 double front derailleur. It is rated for 14t but works just
fine for more.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...0wrongtree.org

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&...%26start%3D125

b) What is the largest rear cogset? I am running a 13 x 26, but have a
13 x 28.

I use the following combos (and others):

53x39 & 12x23
53x36 & 12x24
53x36 & 13x25
53x33 & 12x24
53x33 & 12x28
53x33 & 13x28

My r-der is a DA triple because I like the way it looks w/ the 13t pulleys.

Virtually no adjustments are necessary for changing the gears other than actually changing the inner ring
and/or the cassette.

I am looking at Dimension Cross Crankset.

Rivendell has a couple of different and nice 110 cranks (at different price levels). The Ritchey is a very
nice cold-forged crank that weighs in @ approximately the same as the 7402 DA crank.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

no prob
Old July 31st 03, 02:17 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

jbonda- I am interested in a similar setup (110 bcd double) as where I live
it
is very hilly and I am interested in doing a few 100+ mile rides with
10,000 ft of climbing. I am currently running a Campy Daytona 9sp double
front derailleur and a 9 speed double Daytona rear derailleur. I have a
clamp on front derailleur. Is it possible to run either a 52 or 50 and a
34 inner ring with this set up? I would prefer not to have to go the
triple route due to cost. BRBR

yes to the front der but smallest ring is a 39t...many 110mm bolt diameter
cranks out there tho-for a 50/34...which is the setup FSA is sellin'''

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old July 31st 03, 09:57 PM
Paul Kopit

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:10:54 GMT, Jim Edgar
wrote:

Determined by your rear deraulleur - you could go to a long cage and run a
11x32 if you can find one to your liking.

Choices of large cog cassettes are limited and the jumps between cogs
like 18 to 21 are noticeable. A 48/34 with a 12/27 is about the same
as a 53/39 with a 13/32. You need no special rear derailleur and you
can use Campy hubs.