Thoughts on braking

Old August 1st 03, 09:54 PM
Paul Bielec

Default Thoughts on braking

I have a MTB.
When on pavement, I use both brakes but mostly the rear brake when on flat
and not going to fast. When going faster, the rear brake alone is not
enough. It will block because the weigt gets transfered to the front. Once
the rear is blocked, the rear brake is not that efficient anymore.
When on a Cross Country trail, you have to use both brakes when you go down.
The slopes are much stiffer than on the street or bike path. In addition,
the ground (soil, sand, mud, rocks etc) provides far less traction than
pavement. It is very easy to block your rear wheel in which case it makes
the rear brake even more inefficient than on pavement. So the trick is to
use the front brake as much as you can without blocking the front wheel
which would result in a nice dive over the handle bars with good chances of
having the bike landing on top of you.
Also, you'd try to transfer your weight to the rear and low by moving a
little behind your saddle.
MTB without front brake...never.
The disc brakes, in addition of having a better braking power, don't get
dirty as easy as the rims do. When you ride through several inches of mud
and water, it takes some time before the rims clean up.

Old August 1st 03, 10:07 PM
Rick Onanian

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 16:54:59 -0400, Paul Bielec wrote:
The disc brakes, in addition of having a better braking power, don't get
dirty as easy as the rims do. When you ride through several inches of mud
and water, it takes some time before the rims clean up.

....and if your rims are the least bit out of true, or if your
brakes are adjusted very close, then you get terrible, horrible
scraping noises (while not applying the brake) which are so
loud they are not only embarassing but distracting too.

That's the main reason I'd like disc brakes for my MTB; I like
to keep my V brakes adjusted very close, but they sure get loud
when the rim gets muddy.

--
Rick Onanian

Thoughts on braking John Appleby General 76 August 11th 03 10:30 AM
Thoughts on braking asqui Techniques 8 August 6th 03 05:51 PM
Thoughts on braking John Appleby Techniques 11 August 5th 03 07:47 PM
Thoughts on braking Eric Murray Techniques 1 August 2nd 03 06:28 AM