Caddie-up foldable bikes

Old February 2nd 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave Holmes

Default Caddie-up foldable bikes

Has anyone owned or seen one of these Chinese-made bikes?

Are they even worth the $179 that dealers are asking for them?

Thanks,

Dave Holmes

Old February 2nd 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
cmcanulty

What bikes you didn't say. Try this newsgroup
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221
Old February 2nd 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 07:43:36 -0800 (PST), cmcanulty
may have said:

What bikes you didn't say. Try this newsgroup
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221

CaddieUp is the brand mentioned in the subject line, and their model
selection is fairly scant. The only one I've seen did not impress me;
it was the rear-suspension model, and there were a number of places on
the frame that looked like they had higher stress than I'd like. At
the price, my guess is that they probably are light/intermittent duty
units, which is the same class in which I place my Dahon Boardwalk. I
regard the Dahon as being handy, but not commute-worthy; its primary
duty is to provide local transport when I'm on the road.

Old February 3rd 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Dave Holmes wrote:
Has anyone owned or seen one of these Chinese-made bikes?

Are they even worth the $179 that dealers are asking for them?

I'd be wary. The warranty is only 90 days on parts, one year on the
frame. Still, if you don't mind replacing components as they break, it
might be okay for short rides.

BTW, for those that are wondering about the bike you were referring to,
it can be seen at
"http://shopdirect24-7.com/20--folding-bike--6speed-bl.html"

Also, Wal-Mart has a cheap folder, see:
"http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5238216", but it
doesn't come with a bag.

The best deal, if you can still find one, is the Dahon Boardwalk D7. It
sold for around $200.

See "http://chainwheeldrive.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=1094"

They discontinued it in the U.S., and the replacement is much more
expensive (Dahon Speed D7 Folding at about $320, see
"http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-2007-Dahon-Speed-D7-Complete-Folding-Bike_W0QQitemZ200137642675QQcmdZViewItem")

Also, Dahon now has a less expensive line of bicycles that they are
selling in places like Camping World. The "Yeah" by Dahon is only $166.

"http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdoor-and-RV-Accessories/On-Sale-Now/Santas-Gift-Guide/Yeah-Bike-by-Dahon/skunum=32200:src=OSLN"
Old February 3rd 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 08:15:39 -0800, SMS
may have said:

Dave Holmes wrote:
[...]

That latter one is currently on sale for $149 plus shipping. Dahon's
prior products have been okay for the purposes that they are typically
sold, but most of the folders of this type have structural issues that
make them poorly suited to constant use. My Boardwalk even has a
verbose warning sticker on it about the evils of jumping curbs or
riding off-road, and I don't doubt that the warning is actually
justified in this case.

Bottom line: If you need to rely on a folder for critical transport,
buy a really good one.

Old February 3rd 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Werehatrack wrote:

Bottom line: If you need to rely on a folder for critical transport,
buy a really good one.

Bromptons, despite their high cost, have had a lot of issues with
breakage of frames and handlebars. The small folders are not for abusive
riding. I have a full size folder, a Montague, that is very rugged, but
it doesn't fold small.
Old February 4th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Werehatrack wrote:

"http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdoor-and-RV-Accessories/On-Sale-Now/Santas-Gift-Guide/Yeah-Bike-by-Dahon/skunum=32200:src=OSLN"

That latter one is currently on sale for $149 plus shipping.

The web site shows that the $149 price is if you're a "President's Club"
member which costs $19.95.
Old February 4th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 12:04:52 -0800, SMS
may have said:

Werehatrack wrote:

Bottom line: If you need to rely on a folder for critical transport,
buy a really good one.

Bromptons, despite their high cost, have had a lot of issues with
breakage of frames and handlebars. The small folders are not for abusive
riding. I have a full size folder, a Montague, that is very rugged, but
it doesn't fold small.

As is often the case, value is not entirely reflected by cost, nor is
it always present in the required package. The lone Moulton rider
I've encountered waxed ecstatic about its virtues, but I noted a
visible repair to one of the joints during the conversation;
apparently even those are not immune.

If someone were to ask me which new compact folder would be best for
commuter use, I'd be at a loss to come up with a recommendation. It
may be out there, and my exposure to them in general is limited enough
that I can't say that there aren't any. The old Raleigh 20 (which, as
far as I know, is still out of production) is the only one I've really
heard about that wasn't overly expensive, but finding one in
serviceable shape today can be a challenge. I could kick myself for
not grabbing the one I saw at a yard sale a few years back; the
cotters were wallowed, the tires were flat, and the seat was shot, but
the guy only wanted five bucks for it. I didn't know enough to
realize that it was worth the effort to put it back into service.

Old February 4th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

may have said:

If someone were to ask me which new compact folder would be best for
commuter use, I'd be at a loss to come up with a recommendation. It
may be out there, and my exposure to them in general is limited enough
that I can't say that there aren't any.

I would recommend one of the Dahon Speed models from Gaerlan, see
"http://gaerlan.com/bikes/customd/customd.htm".

Dahon decontented the Speed TR model (which I have), making it less
desirable. Gaerlan essentially recreates the features using the Speed P8
as a platform. You retain the ability to fit it into an airline legal
case, and you retain the adjustable height stem.

Dahon has greatly improved their quality from their original 16" model a
couple of decades ago. Unfortunately the reputation they gained from
early adopters tends to stick around.