Flashlight Handlebar Brackets

Old May 9th 04, 06:09 PM
NLee1875

Default Flashlight Handlebar Brackets

May 9, 2004

Hello All...

Lately, I read a posting in regard to making the Cateye Micro 500II to run at
6W and comparatively, the virtues of LED lights. I have both..

I have (too) many bicycle lights.. Mostly I have been generally disappointed
based on price-performance issues, marketing hype.

You name the brand and model.. I probably have it in my garage.. starting with
the 1970's vintage BERAC 2D headlight.

Cateye Micro 500II is among my favorite lights for the limited intended
use..Cambria Bikes still lists this model for $12.00 in their web site under
HOT DEALS - lights. Cateye EL-200 is my favorite LED light for now because of
two mode operation -- flashing and constant. EL-300 is a huge disappointment
-- but when used in combation with another light.. it is acceptable.

For those who have been disappointed in the past.. here is a suggestion on
constructing a handlebar bracket to secure an ordinary flashlight on the
handlebar -- similarily to what TWOFISH bracket offers but much superior and
verstile.

My flashlight of choice Princeton Tec -T40.

WARNING: NOT FOR OFF ROAD USE... plastic bracket might fail due to excess
vibration.

1. Start with a Cateye Micro 500II and handlebar bracket.

2. Remove the removeable locking bracket from the underside of Cateye Micro
500II..Make sure you don't lose the internal spring mechanism for quick release
locking mechanism.

3. Find youself a 2.5" by 5" (or comparable size) flat plastic or metal plate
of study construction that will hold up to road vibration.

4. Affix the locking bracket to the metal plate with a screw and locking nut.
Make sure the nut will not unscew by road vibration. In my case, I used left
over Shoe Goo to secure the nut. NOTE: I also use shoe goo on cable ends to
prevent from wire fraying.

Since quick release bracket is fastened to the metal plate with one screw, it
is important that it is secure. Before I installed the screw and nut, I used a
small piece of two sided tape.

5. With the 2.5" x 5" plate in (computer terms - Portrait configuration, lay a
1 1/2" wide by 11" velco D-Ring strap across (left to right) the middle /
center of the metal plate

6. Place a two sided industrial strength 2.5" x 5" adhesive back velcro hook
tape (same dimension as your metal plate also commonly known as hook and loop)
on top of the metal plate covering the D-ring velcro strap -- thus securing the
strap to the metal plate.

7. With the D-Ring velcro strap.. I can safely secure a flashlight, FRS radio,
Motorola T6310 has a FM radio option), GPS unit, or my Yaesu Vertex VX-150 ham
radio on the handlebar. To further enhance the contact points.. I place two
sided adhesive velcro loop tape on the back of my electronic devices so it
makes contact with the velcro hook tape.

With the combination of velcro loop and velcro hook tape plus the D-Ring Velcro
strap.. my flashlight / radio is pretty much vibration free. I suppose if my
D-Ring velcro strape is long enough.. I could probably secure a water bottle on
my handlebar as well. The connection is that good.

NOTE: In case the Cateye quick release bracket fails -- because it is made of
plastic and is only anchored with one screw.. I recommend that your electronic
device have a lanyard, and D-ring clip the string to a brake cable.. so the
device won't fall onto ground if the bracket ever fails.

As for flashlights.. Princton Tec - Tec-40 has received very good reviews and
the reflector can accomodate higher watt voltage (4W or better)..

Most stubby 4-AA flashlights will work fine. The nearly 2" reflector lens in
these models are much better than the Micro 500II, the Cateye HL1500, and any
other bicycle lights out there in the price range.

Choices of Flashlights and their applications can be found at..
www.flashlightreviews.com

FOOTNOTE: My 2.5" x 5" metal plate as describe above is actually curved to
conform to the natural curb of a standard round barrel flashlight..By having
the plate slightly curved.. it cradles the electronic device that much better.
Either flat or curved, the application works.

Much obliged.
Nick Lee
carless since January 2000
member of the 5 digit club (10,000 bicycle miles per year) every year since.

Old May 10th 04, 06:05 AM
ksN13918

i highly endorse an inova X5 for this purpose

i have a single AA Inova X1... its BEAUTIFULLY made... the craftsmanship
is just flawless. the white beam (it can be had in other colors) is
superb... bright smooth and focuses... i get so many complements with
this thing. best toy ive ever had