Sturdy mountain bike tail light?

Old June 24th 14, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Sturdy mountain bike tail light?

Joerg wrote:
Duane wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 4:10:25 PM UTC+2, Joerg wrote:
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:44:23 AM UTC-4, wrote:
http://goo.gl/614eKH
MOVING AWAY FROM our taillight a rapid fire 5
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/category/4/
there are police/emergency strobes with red lenses for $50 up..larger sized.

But it all looks like plastic. I don't want plastic anymore, it doesn't

hold up when going offroad where my MTB spends at least 90% of its time.

Needs to be aluminum or steel. Maybe I really have to build my own or

use a motorcycle tail light. But even with those I'll have to build the

innards myself because those are for 12V.

--

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
What makes you think after a sample size of 1 that a well designed
plastic mount doesn't hold up off road? There are a lot of them in your car for instance.

Maybe Jazooli lights. I know they make a headlight that is metal. Not
sure about tail lights.

http://www.jazooli.com/outdoor-leisu...LTRA-0013.aspx

Looks like the holder is plastic. That's what usually breaks. It has to
be metal just like it is for brake levers. Heck, even my not so
safety-critical bottle holder with handlebar mount is solid metal. All
of it, and it wasn't even expensive, around $10. That has withstood
several "adverse events" and all I had to do is bend it in shape again
and re-tighten the bolts.

Then maybe Andrew's suggestion makes sense. Go the other way.

http://www.knog.com.au/gear-lights/frog-strobe.phps
--
duane
Old June 24th 14, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg

Duane wrote:
Joerg wrote:
wrote:

[...]

That'll tear right off at the first hard scrape through some bush. I'd
like the lamp to still be there when I emerge at the other end.

Old June 24th 14, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, June 23, 2014 7:00:37 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

My tail light just flew off, gone. The plastic holder snapped off. It

probably vibrated through. I usually ride on very rough turf so it has

to be sturdy. All the lights I've looked at so far have these flimsy

plastic holders.

Is there any reasonably priced LED tail light that comes in a metal

enclosure and most of all with a metal seat post clamp like they did in

the good old days? Something with the sturdines of a hydraulic brake

handle mount.

The main purpose is not night riding but to be seen during the day when

I have to use roads. Yesterday my MTB buddy was almost hit by a car so

this is really important. Brighter = better. I also like to leave it on

flash mode if going alone on gnarly trails so rescuers can find me

should I ever turf it real bad.

--

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Perhaps buy a quality rear light and reinforce the clamp with a thin strip of metal? Small strips or sheets of aluminium can be bought at hobby stores.

I've made permanent mounts for tail lights aned bolted the aluminum mount I made directly to the rear of my MTB or touring bike.

Cheers
Old June 24th 14, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

I ride bicycles pretty much since I was a kid, so more than four

decades. Always a lot of offroad. _Lots_ of stuff broke and that was

usually all the plastic things. For example, the only front lights that

never ever failed even in crashes were the roundish steel head lamps

with a steel mount (that steel mount is super important). Same for the

metal tail lights I had. Can't get that stuff for LED products. So

people start to build their own stuff now. Example from a guy in a

German bicycle NG:

http://tandem-fahren.de/Mitglieder/F...ED/Frl.Schick/

Look at the handlebar mount. It is plastic. I have one myself. I 'designed' a new mount for my front light:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1010765...Hmw7TbzPmCmgE#

Why is it that you can still buy such sturdy products for cars and

motorcycles but you can't for bicycles? My impression is that the

bicycle accessory industry is asleep at the wheel.

No, because people want cheap and light.

Lou
Old June 24th 14, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg

wrote:
[...]

Yep, that is a flaw and I'd make that aluminum.

... I have one myself. I
'designed' a new mount for my front light:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1010765...Hmw7TbzPmCmgE#

Nicely done. This guy mounted it out of the way but I would not want red:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vuelta...n/photostream/

Why is it that you can still buy such sturdy products for cars and

motorcycles but you can't for bicycles? My impression is that the

bicycle accessory industry is asleep at the wheel.

No, because people want cheap and light.

Many lights aren't exactly cheap yet still it's plastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Motion-1...=bicycle+light

Old June 24th 14, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Oh, I have the material. I just don't enjoy metalwork in a hot garage
much and I'd rather be sitting on my MTB roaring along some trail.

I've made permanent mounts for tail lights aned bolted the aluminum
mount I made directly to the rear of my MTB or touring bike.

If I don't find anything else that's what I'll have to do. Grudgingly :-)

My dream (when I retire, some day ...) is a box somewhere in the
otherwise unused lower frame triangle right above the BB that contains a
LiIon battery set, some electronics, maybe tools as well. Then a
locomotive-strength front light at the bottom of the steerer tube (the
inside of which is vacant unused space) and a tail light right under the
seat. Then a micro controller in the box and a military-grade control
switch for front/back/blink.

Old June 24th 14, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:04:27 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

To reinforce or make a mount from metal that's on hand is a very short amount of time needed project. Mark everything that you need to cut whilst you are still in the house, cut the metal in the garage and then bend/assemble it in the house. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours max to do the entire project.

Cheers
Old June 24th 14, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 24/06/14 09:00, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

My tail light just flew off, gone. The plastic holder snapped off. It
probably vibrated through. I usually ride on very rough turf so it has
to be sturdy. All the lights I've looked at so far have these flimsy
plastic holders.

Is there any reasonably priced LED tail light that comes in a metal
enclosure and most of all with a metal seat post clamp like they did in
the good old days? Something with the sturdines of a hydraulic brake
handle mount.

The main purpose is not night riding but to be seen during the day when
I have to use roads. Yesterday my MTB buddy was almost hit by a car so
this is really important. Brighter = better. I also like to leave it on
flash mode if going alone on gnarly trails so rescuers can find me
should I ever turf it real bad.

This looks like a metal mount.

http://supernova-lights.com/en/produ...il_light2.html

--
JS
Old June 25th 14, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://goo.gl/A3fyuh
Old June 25th 14, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:12:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
http://goo.gl/A3fyuh

http://goo.gl/A3fyuh