RIPS Nuovo Record bottom bracket

Old June 29th 16, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default R.I.P. Nuovo Record bottom bracket

On 2016-06-28 19:43, James wrote:
On 29/06/16 04:54, Joerg wrote:

Maybe a spritz of Tri-Flow can nurse the BB along for a few more days?

That would likely make things worse but flushing more dirt in and
flushing any remaining grease out.

Service it properly or not at all.

It was meant to tide him over until the new BB arrives and he gets
around to installing it, to milk another 2-3 rides from it. BTDT,
worked. Not with a BB but similar things.

I have stuff like that in my youth when good BBs for bicycles were
unavailable or way expensive. The cotter pins on the cranks kept wearing
out so one day I began the habit of welding the cranks to the shaft. No
more dreaded cotter pins. Wonderful! Of course, this imprisoned the BB
and installing a new one required cutting the shaft. A small price to
pay for that level of reliability.

You had access to a torch capable of producing enough heat to weld a steel crank to its axle, and you were willing to go through that process (and later remove the crank with, I presume, a hack saw), yet you were unwilling to buy a decent bike with non-cottered crank -- or a really cheap bike with an Ashtabula crank (e.g. a Schwinn)? Incroyable.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 29th 16, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-06-28 19:43, James wrote:
On 29/06/16 04:54, Joerg wrote:

[...]

Much simpler: A welding transformer. Phsssssst ... phssssssst ... done.

... and you were willing to go through that
process (and later remove the crank with, I presume, a hack saw), yet
you were unwilling to buy a decent bike with non-cottered crank -- or
a really cheap bike with an Ashtabula crank (e.g. a Schwinn)?
Incroyable.

There are people who are going to university without Rockefeller's check
book. I was living on about 550 Dutch Guilders a month which IIRC
equated to about $250 in the early 80's. That wasn't a lot of money even
back then because from that I had to pay university fees, books, rent,
utilities, food, railway fare, medical co-pays and on and on. Also, this
was in Europe and the first time I could afford a decent crank set was
in 1982 after a lucrative oil job. That's the road bike I still ride but
you could never, ever, park that outside. It would have been stolen
within hours. I've even lost lowly bikes to theft despite being tied to
a cast iron railing with a massive chain.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 29th 16, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2016-06-28 19:43, James wrote:
On 29/06/16 04:54, Joerg wrote:

Maybe a spritz of Tri-Flow can nurse the BB along for a few more days?

That would likely make things worse but flushing more dirt in and
flushing any remaining grease out.

Service it properly or not at all.

It was meant to tide him over until the new BB arrives and he gets
around to installing it, to milk another 2-3 rides from it. BTDT,
worked. Not with a BB but similar things.

I have stuff like that in my youth when good BBs for bicycles were
unavailable or way expensive. The cotter pins on the cranks kept wearing
out so one day I began the habit of welding the cranks to the shaft. No
more dreaded cotter pins. Wonderful! Of course, this imprisoned the BB
and installing a new one required cutting the shaft. A small price to
pay for that level of reliability.

Yow!

Joerg, you keep making yourself look much less than smart.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 29th 16, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-06-28 19:43, James wrote:
On 29/06/16 04:54, Joerg wrote:

Maybe a spritz of Tri-Flow can nurse the BB along for a few more days?

That would likely make things worse but flushing more dirt in and
flushing any remaining grease out.

Service it properly or not at all.

It was meant to tide him over until the new BB arrives and he gets
around to installing it, to milk another 2-3 rides from it. BTDT,
worked. Not with a BB but similar things.

I have stuff like that in my youth when good BBs for bicycles were
unavailable or way expensive. The cotter pins on the cranks kept wearing
out so one day I began the habit of welding the cranks to the shaft. No
more dreaded cotter pins. Wonderful! Of course, this imprisoned the BB
and installing a new one required cutting the shaft. A small price to
pay for that level of reliability.

Yow!

Joerg, you keep making yourself look much less than smart.

Nope, resourceful. It allowed me to ride without cotter pin wear at the
same cost as others who had to endure cotter pin wear. Old rule: What
ain't there can't wear.

The rationale was simple. Cheap road bikes would not last more than a
year anyways and that's all a student could afford back then. Buying a
new one only required a few glances at a large peg boards in one of the
student's dining halls (just don't eat anything there ...) after the
summer semester. A lot of people received their degrees around that time
and many wanted to unload their bikes. I never paid more than the
equivalent of $30 for one. That is chump change for a year's worth of
transportation. Afterwards I parted out the old bike and junked the
rest. It was the same procedure every year.

Around 1982 I landed a lucrative vacation job in the oil biz, splurged
and had a nice road bike custom-built for me. Tailored frame, Shimano
600EX, the whole nine yards. That doesn't use the misguided cotter pin
concept and I still ride it. However, this bike was not suitable for
everyday riding on account of the theft risk and the fact that my
"everyday mule" had to be parked in the street overnight. My good bike
was carried up three flights of narrow stairs after each ride.

BTW that hose clamp kludge on the 600EX headset works great. It never
shook loose anymore. So I guess instead of buying a new headset I can
invest those $25 in a pint and a growler of local brew instead :-)

Old June 29th 16, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2016-06-28 19:43, James wrote:
On 29/06/16 04:54, Joerg wrote:

[...]

Wow, I bought myself a NEW $89 Schwinn Varsity when I was in the sixth grade -- with my own money. Totally skipped welding cranks -- as did everyone else in my known universe. I bought my first nice bike when I was in high school-- a lightly used 1969 PX10. In college, I was buying Campy and Dura Ace, but then again, I was also working full time as an ambulance driver at nights and bringing home a paycheck -- which I promptly wasted on bike stuff (after paying rent, tuition, food, etc.) You have to get your priorities straight!

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 29th 16, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Old June 29th 16, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-06-29 07:26, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

[...]

I don't know that bike. In Europe that price category always had cotter
pins back then.

... Totally skipped welding cranks --
as did everyone else in my known universe. I bought my first nice
bike when I was in high school-- a lightly used 1969 PX10. In
college, I was buying Campy and Dura Ace, but then again, I was also
working full time as an ambulance driver at nights and bringing home
a paycheck -- which I promptly wasted on bike stuff (after paying
rent, tuition, food, etc.) You have to get your priorities
straight!

As I wrote before, money is not the real issue here. I also had nice
gigs and after the 3rd semester a decent additional income (before that
it was impossible). However, if you parked a PX10 or a bike with any
kind of nice equipment anywhere near the university or surrounding towns
you could almost bet not to see it again. Or see only remnants of it.

One motorcycle owner learned this the hard way. Came down from his
apartment one morning, hopped on his nice BMW, started. Or wanted to. It
sounded unusually throaty during the crank and the engine didn't fire.
Huh? He looked down and saw that both Bing carburetors had been neatly
removed.

Another guy switched out the old steel rims against Mavics. One morning
he had a road bike without wheels. They didn't want the frame or any of
the rest. If you have an exam in half an hour that can become a major
problem.

Old June 29th 16, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2016-06-28 19:43, James wrote:
On 29/06/16 04:54, Joerg wrote:

[...]

Can you post it at this site?
http://izismile.com/2009/07/01/there...t_41_pics.html

It certainly fits!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 29th 16, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 30/06/16 00:26, jbeattie wrote:

You had access to a torch capable of producing enough heat to weld a
steel crank to its axle, and you were willing to go through that
process (and later remove the crank with, I presume, a hack saw), yet
you were unwilling to buy a decent bike with non-cottered crank -- or
a really cheap bike with an Ashtabula crank (e.g. a Schwinn)?
Incroyable.

Don't try to make sense.

--
JS
Old June 30th 16, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
: You had access to a torch capable of producing enough heat to weld a
: steel crank to its axle, and you were willing to go through that
: process (and later remove the crank with, I presume, a hack saw), yet
: you were unwilling to buy a decent bike with non-cottered crank -- or
: a really cheap bike with an Ashtabula crank (e.g. a Schwinn)?
: Incroyable.
:

on't try to make sense.

This makes sense, for the case Joerg lists, of an old, essentially
diposable bike. One of the reasons that cotters come out is because
the cranks are worn out, and the cotter holes are worn oversize. That
makes the cotters move, and so they and the holes wear and come loose.

At that point, the crank is shot. Welding the crank (which would take
a tenth of a second with a stick welder) will keep the cotters in
place, and is good for the life of the bearings (which is a long
time, if they're okay.) When I was working in a shop, this is the
sort of thing guys sometimes did for people who walked in with a box
of donuts or a six pack.

--
sig 97