Bike hitch/rack recommendations please

Old June 27th 16, 05:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Default Bike hitch/rack recommendations please

Oh yeah....the hitch pin..
if pin length allows, file the insert end down a bit less than the before aligned corded hole n lube with CRC or silicone grease, P. Wood ?

JB, when has Yak begun MX production ? Can we zID MX vs USA ?
Old June 27th 16, 06:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 21:24:47 -0700, sms
wrote:

I SPIT on Yakima. Moved all production to Mexico.

Yes, 20 years ago (in 1996):
http://www.oregonlive.com/playbooks-profits/index.ssf/2015/07/rack_it_up_yakima_rolls_with_n.html
The article says that only rack production moved to Tijuana and that
cargo box production is in California.

The Element can take a Class 2 hitch.

Yeah, I have the same problem. My 2001 Subaru Forester also only
takes a class 2 hitch. A class 2 hitch uses a 1.25x1.25" receiver.
Most of the bicycle racks that I've seen are made for 2.0"x2.0".

Incidentally, a former lady friend bought a hitch mounted rack for her
2013(?) Toyota Prius. The Prius only took a 1.25"x1.25" receiver. So,
the LBS sold her a 1.25" to 2.0" adapter and a Thule monster bike
rack. I think it was this model:
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks/thule-doubletrack-2-bike-990xt-_-5776509
The theory behind the monster rack was that she has a rather heavy
early electric bicycle, and a rather heavy conventional bicycle. The
combination of the adapter and the monster rack stuck out about 3ft
behind the rear bumper. It was too heavy for her to handle by
herself, so I was volunteered to come over every time she needed to
have it installed or removed. Since the garage door wouldn't close
with the rack attached, that became an all too frequent event. I
built an elevated wooden cart on casters for the monster rack so she
could just slide the rack into position. That worked but beating on
the hitch locking pins was too much for her.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 27th 16, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

I SPIT on Yakima. Moved all production to Mexico.

Yes, 20 years ago (in 1996):
http://www.oregonlive.com/playbooks-profits/index.ssf/2015/07/rack_it_up_yakima_rolls_with_n.html
The article says that only rack production moved to Tijuana and that
cargo box production is in California.

The Element can take a Class 2 hitch.

Yeah, I have the same problem. My 2001 Subaru Forester also only
takes a class 2 hitch. A class 2 hitch uses a 1.25x1.25" receiver.
Most of the bicycle racks that I've seen are made for 2.0"x2.0".

Me bad, the Element can take a Class 3 hitch.

We have hitches on all our vehicles. Prius=Class 2, 2x Camry with Class
2, and 4Runner with Class 3.

Incidentally, a former lady friend bought a hitch mounted rack for her
2013(?) Toyota Prius. The Prius only took a 1.25"x1.25" receiver. So,
the LBS sold her a 1.25" to 2.0" adapter and a Thule monster bike
rack.

Bad idea, since the tongue weight is probably being exceeded.

I think it was this model:
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks/thule-doubletrack-2-bike-990xt-_-5776509

I've long been a Thule fan since the days when I was comparing roof
racks. The Thule roof mounts were better designed.

Old June 27th 16, 07:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 22:41:54 -0700, sms
wrote:

Me bad, the Element can take a Class 3 hitch.

Remind me not to trust you any more. Googling...
https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2008_Honda_Element.htm
Yep. Class 3 with a 2.0x2.0" receiver. That should work nicely with
any trailer hitch bike rack.

We have hitches on all our vehicles. Prius=Class 2, 2x Camry with Class
2, and 4Runner with Class 3.

Incidentally, a former lady friend bought a hitch mounted rack for her
2013(?) Toyota Prius. The Prius only took a 1.25"x1.25" receiver. So,
the LBS sold her a 1.25" to 2.0" adapter and a Thule monster bike
rack.

Bad idea, since the tongue weight is probably being exceeded.

Nope. Class 2 is 350 lbs maximum tongue weight. The two heavy
bicycles and accessories probably totaled about 90 lbs. The rack and
adapter added about 60 lbs. 150 lbs total is well under the 350 lb
maximum.

I think it was this model:
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks/thule-doubletrack-2-bike-990xt-_-5776509

I've long been a Thule fan since the days when I was comparing roof
racks. The Thule roof mounts were better designed.

I never could get used to roof racks:
http://wicycling.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Bike-rack-accident-570x398.png
http://i.imgur.com/CDtd1vy.jpg
https://thezeph.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/crumpled-bike.jpg
http://www.bustedcarbon.com/2009/03/no-carbon-wednesday-take-bike-off-roof.html
http://semi-rad.com/2013/08/a-letter-from-your-bike-re-your-roof-top-bike-rack/
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/photo-12_zpsde39c025.jpg
http://content.bikeroar.com/system/content/000/082/869/original/Crazy-bike-carrying-van.jpg

Old June 27th 16, 12:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

wung lob

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/2009/03/...-off-roof.html

eg.....2 lost...and 2 recovered .... the same 2 ........MiFi transsevers. before dawn on the road. so much for the wx report.

thus....the hitch buyer should match hitch with commercial platform.

hpws the air supply ?

the fire map is impressive, again. Owens valley ? DEATH VALLEY !
Old June 27th 16, 12:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

A Baldwin Works Type axle holder

http://www.jensonusa.com/Saris-Traps-Fork-Mount-Carrier

duhduhduh….one tuba 6 ubolted to transverse roof rack members with the axle holder

4 aluminum struts to bicycle frame…triangulated for stability. Eyeball.

Wire blinking LED to front …for the garage door beam.

We participate in a canoe kayak forum.
Serious roof racking.

Serious problem in undeveloped lobe information transfer. Not helped with paddling mode either.

A comparative analysis of white water rackers vs not so white water rackers beckons.

Removing a headliner for installing studs for a place on take off rigid platform …

‘my God, drill holes in the roof of my priceless XXXXXX what abt resale value ?

Yeah what abt canals on Mars ?
Old June 27th 16, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/26/2016 4:20 PM, Bob Newman wrote:
I believe that I am going to put a hitch on my 2008 Honda Element so I can put a bike rack on the hitch. I know nothing about the hitches or the racks that go in them. Your suggestions for either would be very welcome. I will probably want to take the rack on and off a couple of times a week if that is any consideration.

Thanks in advance...

~~~ __O
~~~ _-\,_
~~~ (*)/ (*) Bob

There are a few basic styles:
http://saris.com/catalog/racks#filter-9=on

Almost all 2 bike racks can fit in 1-1/4" or in 2"
receivers, carton includes provision for both. Some larger
capacity models are 2" only. These have become standard
consumer items, minimal assembly, easy to use. Not at all
the 'bag of bolts' they once were.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 27th 16, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 9:24:51 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 6/26/2016 8:40 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 7:07:07 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 14:20:16 -0700 (PDT), Bob Newman
wrote:

I believe that I am going to put a hitch on my 2008 Honda Element
so I can put a bike rack on the hitch. I know nothing about
the hitches or the racks that go in them. Your suggestions
for either would be very welcome. I will probably want to
take the rack on and off a couple of times a week if that
is any consideration.

I drive a 2001 Subaru Forester. A hitch rack would block opening the
rear hatch door, so that's out. What's left is a roof rack or a
temporary rack attached by straps and shock cords.

snip

I have a Yakima Hold-Up two-bike hitch rack on a Subaru Outback, and I can get the hatch open: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTIXHLc8O08 (at about 6:00) It does not work with all cars, though.

If I have any complaints, I take them up with the inventor -- well at least the guy whose name goes on the patent. The head of products is my neighbor and frequent riding companion. I rode with him today. I ride with him and his workmates a lot, so as you might expect, I'm brand loyal. I get slapped around if I even mention Thule.

I SPIT on Yakima. Moved all production to Mexico.

snip

It moved to China. Are you spitting on the Chinese now? I thought they were your buddies. I believe the cargo boxes are still made in California -- a very short spit from you.

My friend is frequently in China overseeing production. All design occurs at the offices in Lake Oswego.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 27th 16, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

I'm the other way around -- hitch racks make me nervous. I'm worried about backing into something or vice versa. However, if you have a tall-mobile and a bunch of heavy DH bikes, a hitch rack is about your only option -- unless you have a step-ladder and like upper body workouts.

I have had a few bad roof rack incidents -- drove into the garage and broke the forks on an old steel bike. My wife drove under a low overhang, which knocked the front rail off and bent the gutters, but the bikes were unharmed. Those were both Yakima racks (which was good, because we were about to start a tour around the Grand Canyon). I had a La Prealpina rack rail fall off a VW bug on the highway, and that was hair-raising. That was my first expensive roof rack -- '70s Italiano technology POS.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 27th 16, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/26/2016 11:40 PM, jbeattie wrote:
The rack now has both the main pin for raising and lowering the rack plus a safety pin. The hole-registration for the safety pin on my rack is really tight, so you have to wrestle with the rack a bit to get the pin in. It could be a one-off issue. I keep forgetting to take it up with my buddy.

Sounds like it would be worth five minutes time with a rattail file or
reamer. Fix it and be done!

A problem I've seen with hitch racks is sort of the opposite: a fit
that's too loose between the receiver and the "tongue" of the rack that
fits into the receiver. The loose fit causes the hitch rack to tilt
side to side as the car drives down the road.

I suppose it's an aesthetic problem more than anything, and it's
sometimes cured with lateral straps. But I wonder if there's a good way
to tighten up that connection.

--
- Frank Krygowski

FS: Allen 540RR Deluxe 4-Bike hitch rack for 2" receiver hitch rbm Marketplace 0 April 11th 09 02:47 AM
Recommendations on Hitch Rack Bike Mount for Mazda3 Sam General 11 March 28th 06 08:17 AM
receiver hitch bike rack Dennis Cox Mountain Biking 7 April 22nd 05 11:45 AM
Hitch Bike Rack Question Chris General 1 May 7th 04 04:29 AM
rear hitch bike rack curt General 12 March 18th 04 10:55 PM