white thing on rim around spoke holes/nipples?

Old June 29th 16, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default white thing on rim around spoke holes/nipples?

What is it and how do you remove it? Only from
a very good position I got it away with a wire
brush...

- so far: 55 Blogomatic articles -
Old June 29th 16, 07:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 06:05:50 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

What is it and how do you remove it? Only from
a very good position I got it away with a wire
brush...

No Picture?

It might be a grommet, which reinforces the spoke hole, although they
are metal and I don't think you could remove one with a wire brush.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 29th 16, 07:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

John B. writes:

What is it and how do you remove it?
Only from a very good position I got it away
with a wire brush...

No Picture?

It might be a grommet, which reinforces the
spoke hole, although they are metal and
I don't think you could remove one with
a wire brush.

It is not supposed to be there. It is like
rust, only white and much more difficult to
remove. Pictu tomorrow

- so far: 55 Blogomatic articles -
Old June 29th 16, 09:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 08:14:56 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

What is it and how do you remove it?
Only from a very good position I got it away
with a wire brush...

No Picture?

It might be a grommet, which reinforces the
spoke hole, although they are metal and
I don't think you could remove one with
a wire brush.

It is not supposed to be there. It is like
rust, only white and much more difficult to
remove. Pictu tomorrow

Aluminum corrosion is white.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 29th 16, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/29/2016 1:14 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. writes:

What is it and how do you remove it?
Only from a very good position I got it away
with a wire brush...

No Picture?

It might be a grommet, which reinforces the
spoke hole, although they are metal and
I don't think you could remove one with
a wire brush.

It is not supposed to be there. It is like
rust, only white and much more difficult to
remove. Pictu tomorrow

It's aluminum oxide, a corroded residue which was once
metal, but now at a lower energy state.
Looks like this:

http://www.amteccorrosion.co.uk/Alum..._02%5B1%5D.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 29th 16, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

AMuzi writes:

It's aluminum oxide, a corroded residue which
was once metal, but now at a lower
energy state.

The aluminum of the rim reacts to the spoke
nipples in time? Or is it sensitive to dirt and
moisture that just sticks in and around the
holes and nipples?

What do you do about it?

Keep clean?

The wire brush worked but not without effort
and I could see that in the nooks the aluminum
oxide remained...

- so far: 55 Blogomatic articles -
Old June 29th 16, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

What is it and how do you remove it? Only from
a very good position I got it away with a wire
brush...

The white thing? That's the price tag. I'm not sure why someone
would put it around a spoke hole, but it should come off with some
solvent or "Goop Off" oil. A wire brush will scrape off the surface
anodizing from the rim, and damage the rim finish. If you must
scrape, use a soft plastic or soft boar bristle hair brush.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 29th 16, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Jeff Liebermann writes:

What is it and how do you remove it?
Only from a very good position I got it away
with a wire brush...

The white thing? That's the price tag.
I'm not sure why someone would put it around
a spoke hole, but it should come off with
some solvent or "Goop Off" oil. A wire brush
will scrape off the surface anodizing from
the rim, and damage the rim finish. If you
must scrape, use a soft plastic or soft boar
bristle hair brush.

I have the common hair, nylon, brass, and steel
brushes, with steel wool, Svinto, and emery.
Perhaps just cloth and alcohol can take some of
it away long with some dirt...

- so far: 55 Blogomatic articles -
Old June 30th 16, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 00:51:05 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann writes:

What is it and how do you remove it?
Only from a very good position I got it away
with a wire brush...

The white thing? That's the price tag.
I'm not sure why someone would put it around
a spoke hole, but it should come off with
some solvent or "Goop Off" oil. A wire brush
will scrape off the surface anodizing from
the rim, and damage the rim finish. If you
must scrape, use a soft plastic or soft boar
bristle hair brush.

I have the common hair, nylon, brass, and steel
brushes, with steel wool, Svinto, and emery.
Perhaps just cloth and alcohol can take some of
it away long with some dirt...

So much for my humor.

As others have mentioned, you may have some aluminum oxide corrosion.
There are a variety of mechanisms that will attack aluminum, including
some "cleaners". Galvanic action will also cause corrosion such as
between a brass spoke nipple and the aluminum rim:
http://www.totalmateria.com/page.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&site=ktn&NM=187
I can't tell from here which one has trashed your rim. A photo would
be useful. You may need a microscope to see any cracks. If the spoke
hole looks damaged, the spoke nipple might rip through the enlarged
and weakened hole when put under tension.

You might also want to take a look inside:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5470/8944382412_857779a6b7_k.jpg

The problem is that to produce aluminum oxide, some aluminum must
disappear to produce the oxide. That results in pitting, cracking,
and weakening of the aluminum. If you actually manage to clean off
the oxidation, you'll probably find a damaged surface.

Scroll down to the 3 photos of damaged rims:
http://www.totalmateria.com/page.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&site=ktn&NM=187

As for cleaning, there are a variety of potions that claim to work:
https://www.google.com/search?q=aluminum+oxide+cleaner
Most contain phosphoric acid. For example:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/s_trmt_alum/technical-data/Loctite-Aluminum-Jelly.htm
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/alumiprep.php
If you just want to clean off the oxide crust, acetic acid, in the
form of white vinegar should work. However, it's not a very strong
acid, takes a long time, and will ruin a rim with polished aluminum
finish.

Old June 30th 16, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Doe[_3_]

Emanuel Berg wrote:

John B. writes:

What is it and how do you remove it?
Only from a very good position I got it away
with a wire brush...

No Picture?

It might be a grommet, which reinforces the
spoke hole, although they are metal and
I don't think you could remove one with
a wire brush.

It is not supposed to be there. It is like
rust, only white and much more difficult to
remove. Pictu tomorrow

Where's the picture?

spoke nipples Me UK 4 July 30th 08 11:00 PM
spoke holes [email protected] Techniques 2 June 24th 08 05:05 AM
Spoke nipples and spoke spanners Owen Techniques 2 July 11th 07 06:24 AM
spoke nipples natiag Unicycling 6 September 17th 06 09:08 PM
What happens to brass spoke nipples during stainless-steel spoke-squeezing? [email protected] Techniques 7 May 25th 05 05:01 AM