Split-nose saddles for exercise bike

Old July 21st 17, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska

Default Split-nose saddles for exercise bike

I'm looking for a saddle for exercise rides. 30 miles round trip,
5 minute miles on average (if I'm faster there was a tailwind).
Flat terrain, sometimes wind is an obstacle. Usually about half
the trip is on aerobars, mostly to relieve strain on hands but
sometimes to help with the wind. SPD shoes/pedals. Road frame.

One bike shop rep suggested trying NOS Adamo split-nose saddles.

It's a pricey experiment ($150). Can anybody offer a notion of
how such a saddle would work in non-competetive riding on aerobars?

The goal is comfort and longevity in riding, speed is unatainable

Thanks for reading, and any wisdom!

bob prohaska

Old July 21st 17, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 02:39:39 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

I'm looking for a saddle for exercise rides. 30 miles round trip,
5 minute miles on average (if I'm faster there was a tailwind).
Flat terrain, sometimes wind is an obstacle. Usually about half
the trip is on aerobars, mostly to relieve strain on hands but
sometimes to help with the wind. SPD shoes/pedals. Road frame.

One bike shop rep suggested trying NOS Adamo split-nose saddles.

It's a pricey experiment ($150). Can anybody offer a notion of
how such a saddle would work in non-competetive riding on aerobars?

The goal is comfort and longevity in riding, speed is unatainable

Thanks for reading, and any wisdom!

bob prohaska

I'm not sure, but I think that if you sit way forward on the seat as
some tri-athletes do see http://tinyurl.com/ybmlz4h2 that the split
seat might help but if you sit "normally" I doubt it will be any
better then any other seat.

I tried a set of "aero bars" for a while and while I didn't find them
very stable, due to lack of practice with the bars, I didn't notice
any particular difference the usual seat with the usual seat position.

I think that you might try modifying the existing seat position a bit
before laying out $150 :-) Try adjusting forward and back to get the
arms/elbows situated on the bars comfortably and then try adjusting
the angle of the bars to suit.

Also see:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/S..._III_2512.html
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 21st 17, 10:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jon B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

correction, that should read, "angle of the seat"

Old July 21st 17, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 20/07/2017 10:39 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
I'm looking for a saddle for exercise rides. 30 miles round trip,
5 minute miles on average (if I'm faster there was a tailwind).
Flat terrain, sometimes wind is an obstacle. Usually about half
the trip is on aerobars, mostly to relieve strain on hands but
sometimes to help with the wind. SPD shoes/pedals. Road frame.

One bike shop rep suggested trying NOS Adamo split-nose saddles.

It's a pricey experiment ($150). Can anybody offer a notion of
how such a saddle would work in non-competetive riding on aerobars?

The goal is comfort and longevity in riding, speed is unatainable

Thanks for reading, and any wisdom!

bob prohaska

What pain exactly are you experiencing that you want to fix with the
spit-nose saddle?
Old July 22nd 17, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska

Duane wrote:

What pain exactly are you experiencing that you want to fix with the
spit-nose saddle?

The issue for me is that a conventional saddle can be set either
for comfort on the aerobars or comfort on the handrests. Right now
it's set up for the aerobars, with the saddle nose pointing down
(rather noticeably) and when on the aerobars it works reasonably well.

If traffic or a tired neck forces me to sit up, then I'm fighting
the forward slide caused by the downslope of the saddle nose, with
resultant stress on hands.

It would be really nice to have a saddle that's comfortable both
on the aerobars and on the controls. Or, at least, less uncomfortable
when off the aerobars.

Thank you!

bob prohaska

Old July 22nd 17, 11:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

bob prohaska wrote:
Duane wrote:

What pain exactly are you experiencing that you want to fix with the
spit-nose saddle?

The issue for me is that a conventional saddle can be set either
for comfort on the aerobars or comfort on the handrests. Right now
it's set up for the aerobars, with the saddle nose pointing down
(rather noticeably) and when on the aerobars it works reasonably well.

If traffic or a tired neck forces me to sit up, then I'm fighting
the forward slide caused by the downslope of the saddle nose, with
resultant stress on hands.

It would be really nice to have a saddle that's comfortable both
on the aerobars and on the controls. Or, at least, less uncomfortable
when off the aerobars.

Thank you!

Ah. Have you had a good fit done? If so and you need the saddle pointed
down a split saddle might help then. At least you may not have to tilt
the saddle down in the first place.

Like you say it's a big expense to test it. Maybe you can find a bike shop
that lets you return it in 30 days. I know that Specialized has a saddle
return policy but if you buy from their website.

--
duane
Old July 23rd 17, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska

Duane wrote:

Ah. Have you had a good fit done? If so and you need the saddle pointed

Of course, by me 8-)

In fact I've been fiddling with the fit since I got the aerobars around
25 years ago. Been through a few saddles, always the same problem. When I
was younger it didn't bother me so much, but now....... it's an issue.

down a split saddle might help then. At least you may not have to tilt
the saddle down in the first place.

Like you say it's a big expense to test it. Maybe you can find a bike shop
that lets you return it in 30 days. I know that Specialized has a saddle
return policy but if you buy from their website.

The local shop that has the Adamo saddles offers a 30 day "return" but
whether that's for credit, refund or lip service isn't entirely clear.
If the saddle is discernibly more comfortable it'll be worth every penny.

In light of your comments I'll pay them a return visit and discuss the
details. These days folks spend $5k on a bike, I probably shouldn't
flinch at $150 for a saddle, but I do anyway.

With my thanks for your counsel,

bob prohaska

Split Saddles aandr General 10 August 25th 05 01:48 PM
fs 2 TRICO Split Base Saddles Ti/Leather $50-both MJKALLAL Marketplace 1 August 18th 04 01:58 PM
Split Saddles Bob Gir. General 11 June 29th 04 08:36 AM
Split Saddles Bob Gir. Techniques 7 June 29th 04 01:58 AM
Split Saddles Comparison psycholist Techniques 4 September 16th 03 01:09 AM