Trek folding bikes: Experiences?

Old July 17th 05, 07:12 AM

Default Trek folding bikes: made by Dahon

wrote

Really? Better than Bike Friday??

The "standard" drive train is a big plus IMVAIO, as is the stronger
frame. The Nexus type rear hub is attractive to manufacturers, but it
is too complex, and it makes changing a flat in the rear a pain (I have
a Dahon Speed TR with the internal hub).

Old July 17th 05, 08:52 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

I submit that on or about 16 Jul 2005 23:12:42 -0700, the person known
to the court as made a statement
.com in Your
Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

The "standard" drive train is a big plus IMVAIO, as is the stronger
frame. The Nexus type rear hub is attractive to manufacturers, but it
is too complex, and it makes changing a flat in the rear a pain (I have
a Dahon Speed TR with the internal hub).

Dogmatic assertion from Scharf: engage scepticism.

There are several pluses of the Nexus hub gear, of which low
maintenance and the ability to use wider chains are two. A hub gear
is also less vulnerable to mechanical damage in transit.

Hub gears are hugely popular with utility cyclists for these and other
reasons. So, if utility is your bag, then don't discount the hub
because of the fact that it makes changing a flat marginally more
difficult. I have not had a flat in six months of daily cycle
commuting, and I can only recall maybe two flats when commuting that
were not in Schwalbe Stelvio tyres. How many people here use racing
slicks on their folding bikes?

So fit the Nexus, which is as reliable as you'd expect from the
Japanese, and fit Schwalbe Marathon tyres :-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old July 18th 05, 03:25 AM
A Muzi

wrote in message
ups.com...

-snip-
To equip a Brompton with a very wide gear range would

cost a lot, as
you need to install the Florian Schlumpf Mountain Drive
("http://www.schlumpf.ch/md_engl.htm").

C.J.Patten wrote:
I think it's used here as a proper name but did you know "Schlumpf" is
German for "Smurf?"

-snip-

Smurf is a word??

Dictionary-dot-com says:
jargon /smerf/ (From the news:soc.motss Usenet
newsgroup, after some obnoxiously gooey cartoon characters)
A newsgroup regular with a habitual style that is
irreverent, silly, and cute. Like many other hackish terms
for people, this one may be praise or insult depending on
who uses it. In general, being referred to as a smurf is
probably not going to make your day unless you've previously
adopted the label yourself in a spirit of irony.
Compa old fart.

I had never heard that term before!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old July 29th 05, 06:46 AM
Jasper Janssen

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:25:25 -0500, A Muzi wrote:

Smurf is a word??

jargon /smerf/ (From the news:soc.motss Usenet
newsgroup, after some obnoxiously gooey cartoon characters)

I had never heard that term before!

The obnoxiously gooey cartoon characters would be where the term comes
from. It was originally a french comic, "Les Schtroumpf", but especially
after the animated success has been translated all over the freakin'
place.

The Smurfs main characteristics are that they're small, blue skinned, and
wear white pants with integrated booties plus a white cap -- except for
the Big Smurf who dresses in red and Smurfette who's got blond, long hair
in place of the cap. All the other 100 or so smurfs in the village are
non-alpha males, which suggests some interesting things as to their
societal arrangement. Also, I've been told that Smurfette actually
resulted from one of the Evil Wizard Gargamel's experiments, which makes
the perpetuation of the species even harder to swallow.

Jasper
Old July 29th 05, 02:54 PM
Andrew W

To equip a Brompton with a very wide gear range would cost a lot, as
you need to install the Florian Schlumpf Mountain Drive

Not necessarily, I have a range of 26 to 82 gear inches on mine by
combining a 52/28 chainring with 13/15 sprockets at the back plus the
Sturmey Archer AW3 hub gear.

This really does get you up almost anything.

See http://heh.pl/&Q4 for details

Andrew Webster

Old July 30th 05, 01:55 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Jasper Janssen wrote:

[...]

I believe the canonical cartoon explanation is that new Smurfs are born
"once in a blue moon," and pretty much appear under nearby toadstools.

http://www.smurfs.com/infos/who/qui2.html

C'mon! They're magical, Methuselan blue creatures 3 apples high pursued
by an alchemy-obsessed wizard, and you find their reproduction
implausible?

http://www.smurfs.com/infos/qui.html

Also, they're as French as fries:

http://www.smurfs.com/infos/bio.html

The Flash game is kinda fun...

http://www.smurfs.com/homepage.html

Look, my lovely bride is into Smurfs, okay? My wife!

Smurf & Enjoy,

What do you guys think of Next bikes and the Trek 7500? ReptilesBlade General 10 August 28th 05 06:53 PM
Bikes With Short Top Tubes and High Front Ends - WAS:Interpreting Serotta Fit Cycle Data For Other Manufacturers? itsfred General 6 April 4th 05 10:28 PM
Lightweight Folding Electric Bikes Electric Bikes Direct UK 12 April 18th 04 07:24 PM
trek bikes dailuggs UK 8 February 12th 04 12:35 PM
Advice on Folding Bikes marc_9 Australia 10 December 10th 03 01:30 AM