Bicyclist Fatalities in AZ 2009

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 9th 10, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

Default Bicyclist Fatalities in AZ 2009

On 12/9/2010 12:40 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Dec 9, 9:08 am, Duane wrote:
On 12/8/2010 8:01 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Do you not remember that one of your supporters in this discussion has
frequently bragged about riding sidewalks? When he said he does, and
you said "what I do depends..." then it certainly sounded to me like
you might ride sidewalks as well.

First, I don't have supporters here.

I'm talking about James and Dan O. IIRC it was Dan in that case.

Then say so.

Second, your leap of logic
is quite amazing. Just to clarify though, if I'm in the road
and a truck is screaming up behind me and not going to stop, there
is a possibility that I'm jumping on the sidewalk. Whereas by your
interpretation, you are going to continue controlling the road.
Good luck with that.

You're describing a terror scene again, and one which I don't seem to
experience. So just how often has that happened to you? Seriously -
is a truck "screaming up behind and not going to stop" a once a week
thing, or once a month, or once a year, or what?

It happens.

To put it in perspective: I recall _once_ having to ride onto the
shoulder because an oncoming car didn't see me and passed another car,
coming head-on at me. Similarly, I recall _once_ driving my car on a
freeway and having to drive onto the shoulder because an incompetent
semi driver didn't see my car and started merging into my lane. But
those are each once-in-a-lifetime experiences for me, and NOBODY is
saying not to take evasive maneuvers in emergency situations.

You must have angels watching out for you or something.

But every truck or car approaching from behind is NOT an emergency.
It's a normal part of traffic, and I normally make use of my legal
right to the road...

You do not have a legal right to anything. Drivers don't have a right
to the road unless they have a license. Any road can be restricted.

For example, when the truck is tailgaiting me I'm going to pull to the
side and give him **** as he passes. I'm not going to continue in the
center of the lane ignoring him.

... whereas you apparently do cede your right to the road if a truck
drives at your speed, but too closely for your comfort.

You do not have a right to the road. And you still didn't read the
original post. It's not the truck.

You don't read very well do you? The truck driver is an idiot. It's
the car passing him and pulling into you that's going to kill you.
Stay there and become road kill then. Will that prove your point
that you have a right to the road?

I suppose if I do get killed, that will prove I was wrong in that
instance. But let me ask the opposite question: If I have done that
ever since, oh, 1980 or so and have never been killed in the way you
describe, will that prove that I have a right to the road, and that
what I do is safe?

You do not have a right to the road. And no, it won't prove that
what you do is safe, only that you didn't get killed.

Seriously, what do you think the odds are? IOW, don't you see you're
exaggerating a tiny danger yet again?

I had the cars pulling in front of me with the asshole in the truck on
my back. Don't you see that you're exaggerating your knowledge?

Besides, check the link that I posted regarding the Quebec highway code.
What you think of as your right to the road is seriously at odds with that.

Actually, after reading that, I see why the truck was tailgaiting me. I
was too far to the frigging left. I'm lucky I didn't get a ticket.