Seoul Cycle Design Competition Winner

Old December 2nd 10, 10:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

Default Insular roadie rubbish about seats/saddles

On 12/2/2010 3:50 AM, DougC wrote:
On 12/2/2010 3:25 AM, DougC wrote:
On 12/1/2010 8:48 PM, Michael Press wrote:
In ,
wrote:

On 11/29/2010 6:17 PM, James wrote:
On Nov 30, 10:55 am, Tºm Shermªn™ °_°""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
What is uncomfortable about drop bars?

JS.

Well, aside from the hand numbness and neck strain, nothing really I
guess.
~

vi?

If your back hurts and your neck hurts,
you are not pedaling hard enough.

There are those (quite experiences, I assure you) who would beg to
differ.

http://www.ultracycling.com/training/neck_pain.html

You don't get Shermer's /neck/ if you don't ride Shermer's /bike/.
~

Well it's not working again.

I also note that it is ONLY r.b.t that these problems are occurring on.
All the other newsgroups I view with it seem to work normally....

????????

well nuts

Old December 2nd 10, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tm Shermn _[_2_]

On 12/2/2010 3:59 AM, DougC wrote:
[...]
Well it's not working again.

I also note that it is ONLY r.b.t that these problems are occurring on.
All the other newsgroups I view with it seem to work normally....

????????

hmmm,,,,,, 3.1.5 now......

I am using 3.1.6

--
Tm Shermn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old December 5th 10, 06:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

wrote:

On 11/29/2010 6:17 PM, James wrote:
On Nov 30, 10:55 am, Tºm Shermªn™ °_°""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:

If new persons older than their early to mid 20's are to be attracted to
cycling and stick to it in significant numbers, something more
comfortable than a narrow saddle and/or drop bars is needed.

They give at least three possible hand positions while seated, and the
hoods are excellent for use out of the seat.

Most people I've seen are uncomfortable with straight bars and their
variants, and start adding bar ends for extra hand position
flexibility - still coming short of the variety offered by drop bars.

The individual is at liberty to have the bars moved up or down and
closer or further away. The drop bars don't inhibit certain
locations.

They are made in a variety of widths.

What is uncomfortable about drop bars?

JS.

Well, aside from the hand numbness and neck strain, nothing really I guess.
~

vi?

If your back hurts and your neck hurts,
you are not pedaling hard enough.

How is the newer rider going to maintain hard pedaling until he/she gets
into shape? What about times when hard pedaling may not be appropriate?

Who said it was going to be easy?
Buy if Buick Lucerne and ditch
the bicycle if it hurts that much.

--
Michael Press
Old December 5th 10, 06:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

$southslope.net" wrote:
What is uncomfortable about drop bars?

JS.

Well, aside from the hand numbness and neck strain, nothing really I guess.
~

vi?

If your back hurts and your neck hurts,
you are not pedaling hard enough.

There are those (quite experiences, I assure you) who would beg to differ.

http://www.ultracycling.com/training/neck_pain.html

You don't get Shermer's /neck/ if you don't ride Shermer's /bike/.

Shermer's neck is not about neck pain,
it is about collapse of certain muscles.

--
Michael Press
Old December 5th 10, 09:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tm Shermn _[_2_]

On 12/5/2010 12:06 AM, Michael Press wrote:

$southslope.net" wrote:

[...]

So Mr. Press is an elitist who does not want to expand the number of
cyclists?

Old December 5th 10, 01:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

$southslope.net" wrote:

[...]

But that's the funny part.

Lots of people who think they know just about everything about
bicycles,,,, have never even /tried/ riding the ones that don't hurt to
ride. They just assume a given level of physical discomfort from being
in the riding position is to be expected.
~
Old December 5th 10, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doc O'Leary[_15_]

Tºm Shermªnⓢ " wrote:

How is the newer rider going to maintain hard pedaling until he/she gets
into shape? What about times when hard pedaling may not be appropriate?

Who said it was going to be easy?
Buy if Buick Lucerne and ditch
the bicycle if it hurts that much.

So Mr. Press is an elitist who does not want to expand the number of
cyclists?

I think some people are still arguing over petty differences in degrees.
The reality *is* that most people expect that using a vehicle means
going 20mph with no effort. That's not what bikes do, much less comfort
bikes! There is nothing at all elitist to point out that those people
have lost touch with reality. If you want to "expand the number of
cyclists", you're not going to do it by lying to them about what to
expect.

--
iPhone apps that matter: http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, astraweb.com,
Old December 5th 10, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

$southslope.net" wrote:

[...]

My philosophy of comfort is that it's a relative concept.
Old December 5th 10, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On Dec 6, 7:43*am, Dan O wrote:

My philosophy of comfort is that it's a relative concept.

Yes, I was relatively comfortable during and after completing 100km on
Saturday morning, at almost 20mph average speed on my road bike.

In fact the most discomfort was due to the weather. Warm and humid.
Made me sweat more than usual. Thankfully it was cooler and pleasant
up Mt. Dandenong.

It was also comfortable to get home about 11am, and watch my wife mow
the lawn!

J.